Jess
Jess, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Hardware & Software Specialist - 10yrs Exp, Web Designer & Developer

My Yahoo Mail Folders will not open at all!

Category: Computer
Expert:  Jess replied 3 years ago.
Hi, thank you for using JustAnswer.com. I am glad to assist you today.

First, please do the Malwarebytes Cleanup procedures below:

A. Cleanup with Malwarebytes Antimalware

Please download the FREE version of Malwarebyte from this link:

Download FREE Malwarebytes Antimalware Here

After you download it, please install. During the FIRST RUN, please let it UPDATE. After the updates are installed, please perform a QUICK SCAN. Then REMOVE all malicious files found and restart your computer as part of the removal process.

Please let me know your results then so that I can help you further.

Regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
It did not fix the problem.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The answer did not fix the problem. I still cant open any mail folders or personal folders at all. I can see how many messages I have in my mailbox but cant open them. I cant even Delete them.
Expert:  Jess replied 3 years ago.
Please try to RESET your Internet Explorer settings to default state by following the steps below:

HOW TO RESET YOUR INTERNET EXPLORER SETTINGS
1. Exit all open programs, including Internet Explorer (if it is running).
2. Launch Internet explorer
3. Click on Tools menu
4. Click on Internet Options
5. Click the Advanced tab
6. Under Reset Internet Explorer settings, click Reset. Then click Reset again.
7. When Internet Explorer finishes resetting the settings, click Close in the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box.
8. Start Internet Explorer again.

Regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Jess;

I did everything you said; but still no go. Nothing will open, nothing will delete; still says "Error on Page." I can Right-Click on any Folder and tell it to Open and it will Open. The Messages will appear. Still cant open message(s); but if I Right-Click the Message and tell it to Open; it will Open. Still nothing can be Deleted.

William

Expert:  Jess replied 3 years ago.
Hi William! Thank you for writing back.

How do you access your Yahoo email? Are you using Internet Explorer?
Also, do you have the Windows XP CD installer?

Please try to run the System File Checker like below:

How to RUN System File Checker

1. Click Start => Programs => Accessories => Locate Command Prompt
  2. When located, right click on it then click Run as administrator
  3. Provide your password XXXXX prompted or click OK in a prompt window
  4. In the black command prompt window, type this command and press the ENTER key after: sfc /scannow (there is space between c and /)
  5. Let the scan complete and restart your computer after the scan.

Please let me know your results.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Jess;

Same results; No Change at all.

William

Expert:  Jess replied 3 years ago.
Hi William,

1. What happened after running System File Checker? Did it find errors and system integrity issues and was your XP able to correct them?
  2. Do you have the Windows XP CD installer so that we can repair your system using the CD?

Jess
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Jess;

I dont know how you can stand this. I am so Frustrated with this; you have no idea. Im ready to just smash this computer into a million pieces. Its only 12 years old and I cant afford a new one; thats the only reason I have not done the latter to it.

I ran your answer again; and same thing. There was no errors that came up while doing it. It asked for my Windows XP CD and I put it in and the system ran its course. Then I restarted the computer. Same ol, Same ol; No Change!

William

Expert:  Jess replied 3 years ago.
Hi William, thank you for writing back. I am sorry but I also understand your frustrations.

The last thing that I am sure could fix your issue is to do a REPAIR-INSTALL of Windows XP. I believe you can do this because you just mentioned that you have the Windows XP CD Installer. Though you did not answer the question (#2 above) directly, I believe you have indirectly informed me that you have the XP CD Installer.

With REPAIR INSTALL, all of your files and programs will be intact and retained. Only the system files will be renewed using the original Windows files in the CD.

Before doing the REPAIR-INSTALL procedures of Windows XP, please review the following procedures since this provides very detailed steps with screenshots to assist you in the process. Just read and understand the process thoroughly before doing the repair install procedures.

The ONLY big thing that you need here is the CD Installer and the product key (25-character Key). Also, since this is a REPAIR INSTALL, you will choose the REPAIR option when you boot your computer in the CD. But do not choose the first REPAIR option since it will direct you to the manual or DOS-based repair of your hard disk and not the XP system.

Here is the link for the repair-install procedures that you can simulate before doing the actual thing.

http://www.windowsreinstall.com/winxphome/installxpcdrepair/indexfullpage.htm

Remember to REPAIR the existing Windows installation that has a problem, that is the heart or the core of the repair-install process.

1. You boot your computer to the CD installer
  2. When setup loads, choose to continue setup (not repair yet)
  3. Then it will attempt to install but FIRST, it will look for previous Windows installation
  4. When it finds the Windows installation, choose repair then

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry Jess;

No Go at this Station. Im at my Wits End. When it Rains it Pours. My CD will Not Setup, Repair or Install Windows on My Computer. The Windows Verson on My Computer is More New than My Windows Version 2002 CD. Told You my Computer was 12 years old.

William

Expert:  Jess replied 3 years ago.
Hi William,

Please try to run Firefox in Safe Mode and see if your Yahoo Mail loads properly.

1. Click Start => All Programs => Mozilla Firefox => Mozilla Firefox (Safe Mode)

Please check your Yahoo Mail if it loads and works fine.

Jess
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Jess;

I dont have Modzilla Firefox in my Programs.

William

Expert:  Jess replied 3 years ago.
Hi William,

Please try to download and install Mozilla Firefox and see if your Yahoo Mail will work there. Here is the download link:

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/personal.html

After the download, locate the downloaded file and double click on it to start the installation process. Then launch Firefox and access your Yahoo Mail there and see if it behaves fine.

Regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Jess;

Before you answered, I did download Modzilla with Firefox 3.6. I remember seeing these two sites under my Programs before; but once I got the Virus on my Computer they disappeared along with other programs in my Menu. My Yahoo Mail works Excellent under these Programs. I double checked Yahoo Mail again under Internet Explorer 8 and it is still having problems. So something is definately missing from it as to why their still not working; even with reinstalling Modzilla and Firefox.

I do want to thank you for sticking with me after all my Frustrations.

William

Expert:  Jess replied 3 years ago.
Hi William,

I do believe now that you have Firefox installed and that your Yahoo Mail works great under Firefox. The only problem left is your Internet Explorer: Yahoo Mail is not working there.

Please try the following trying Yahoo Mail in IE each time:

A. RESET IE (again)

2. Launch Internet explorer
  3. Click on Tools menu
  4. Click on Internet Options
  5. Click the Advanced tab
  8. Start Internet Explorer again.

B. Use IE in Safe Mode

1. Go to Start => Run
  2. In the RUN box, type iexplore -extoff
  3. Then press Enter
  4. Note: there is space between e and -, that is a 2-word command

Please let me know if still your Yahoo Mail won't work in the 2 procedures above.

Regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Jess;

I did reload Internet Explorer and completed the two procedures. My mail works fine now. So I have several ways to get to the Yahoo Mail now. There is still small problems within my computer with items missing and just not enough virtual memory installed. I have only 1 GB memory in it. Twelve years ago that was sufficent at that time; but not now. But anyway Jess; thank you again for sticking with me. I learned quite a bit thru this painful time. Take care of yourself.

William

Expert:  Jess replied 3 years ago.
Hi William, thank you for writing back. I am very glad that your Yahoo Mail now works.

Regarding the virtual memory issue, basically, it is some hard disk allocation issue. A virtual memory is actually a part or portion of your Hard Disk Drive that is used by Windows TO ACT like a Random Access Memory (RAM). Thus, when your Hard Disk is full, or nearly full, particularly Drive C, Windows will then pop up a message that you are running low of Virtual Memory.

So the solution is to free some disk space by moving some of your files from Drive C to another drive or partition like Drive D or Drive E.

In order to remove the unused old files which you do not know about, or the hidden temporary files and trash, please do the following cleanup procedures:

Cleanup with CCleaner

1. Please download the FREE version of CCleaner from this link:
  2. Download FREE CCleaner Here
  3. After you download the free tool, install it and run the scans and tests. By default, it runs CLEANER to cleanup from all system mess.
  4. Next, run REGISTRY Cleaner and fix the found problems. Run this REGISTRY cleaner several times and fix the issues until no issues will be found.
Please click on the link below for the procedures in changing the paging size or your Virtual Memory settings:

http://www.delete-computer-history.com/increase-virtual-memory.html

OR from this link:
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/sysdm_advancd_perform_change_vmpagefile.mspx?mfr=true

Please let me know your results then so that I can help you further. Please click the ACCEPT button if this helped.

Best regards,
Jess
Jess, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Computer Hardware & Software Specialist - 10yrs Exp, Web Designer & Developer
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Jess;

Sorry it took so long to get back to you; been busy elsewhere. I did load CCleaner; that is awesome, especially with the Registry portion too. The Cleaner wiped up about 100 idems and the Registry cleaned up a ton also. It cleaned the Computer up with one try; even though I did it twice more just to be sure. I must of done the Virtual Memory ok; cause only one window popped up after doing it, and has not showed up again yet. Im keeping my fingers crossed for now.

Where do you find these programs? Did you go to school for it or did you just do trial and error. I can never find these kind of programs on my own. You have being a lifesaver Jess. Thank you kindly. I believe we are good now with my problem; so take care.

Sincerely William