Terry
Terry, Consultant
Experience:  Worked over thirteen years in operating systems support chats and groups.
32740927

How do I change my AOl default web browser from Internet Explorer

Customer Question

How do I change my AOl default web browser from Internet Explorer to Google Chrome ? MY operating system is XP pro ?
Category: Computer
Expert:  namstech replied 3 years ago.

Najeeb :

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Najeeb :

Do you currently have Google Chrome installed on your computer?

Customer :

yes

Najeeb :

Ok. Open it. Can you notice a wrench symbol in top right corner in Google Chrome?

Customer :

yes

Najeeb :

Click it and click Options

Najeeb :

In the dialog that opens, on the bottom Click on the button that says Make Google Chrome my default browser.

Najeeb :

Then close the dialog.

Customer :

done, and it already has it has the default browser

Najeeb :

Ok. So now do you want to make AOL your homepage in Google Chrome?

Customer :

I am not sure, I want to be able to go directly to AOL from the icon on my desktop to review my mail.

Customer :

presently Aol seemns to revert to the Internet 6 resident on my computer

Najeeb :

Is that internet explorer icon that you click to get into your email?

Customer :

no it is the aol icon

Najeeb :

AOL 9.6 (or similar)?

Customer :

9.6 is correct

Najeeb :

So you mean when you click a link in AOL 9.6 email, it opens in Internet Explorer, right?

Customer :

correct

Najeeb :

Let me check.

Najeeb :

Open Internet Explorer, click Tools->Inernet Options

Najeeb :

Check the box Internet Explorer should check to see if it is the default browser.

Najeeb :

Press OK.

Najeeb :

Now check if you can open links in google chrome.

Customer :

I have done the above and turned my computer off and back on and the problem still continues

Najeeb :

Thanks for your reply. I will opt out for other experts for their opinion on this. I appreciate your patience.

Expert:  Terry replied 3 years ago.

Hi, Thanks for using Just Answer.

I see you are having problems with Internet Explorer 8. Would it be better if you had Internet Explorer 7?

Terry

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The underlying problem is that when I try reading articles shown by AOL I frequently get the article to be displayed and within 15 seconds I get a dialog box poping up superimposed on a portion of the article that says "INTERNET EXPLORER CAN NOT OPEN THE INTERNET SITE ---------OPERATION ABORTED" At that point I can no longer scroll down the displayed page even though it is still on my screen. I then have to hit the "OK" box and clear the screen and I get a new page that says "THIS PAGE CAN NOT BE DISPLAYED" If I open Goggle Chrome and paste the article address in Goggle Chrome it opens perfectly and I can read the complete article. I have a various times gotten messages that say that my browser is no longer current and that I shoulds upgrade to a more current broswer such as Goggle Chrome or internet Explorer 8 etc. I have downloaded Google Chrome with out a problem, but am not able to get the Internet Explorer 8 to complete the down oad process, it starts but doesn't finish. This is why I want to change my default browser to Google.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I don't know? Is 7 still available ?
Expert:  Terry replied 3 years ago.
ok try this see if it helps : right click on your desktop choose properties then click on settings tab at the top. if your resolution isn't 1024 X 768 change it to that then let me know how it went.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK done, pretty ugly though
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
did not resolve the problem
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I also downloaded IE 7 anfd that did not resolve the problem, lastly I again tried to download IE 8 after having IE7, but it still will not laod.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
not helpful, I want Goggle Chrome as my AOL browser!
Expert:  Terry replied 3 years ago.

Goggle Chrome as my AOL browser!

Hi I need some info. You mean when you want to go to Aol you want to click Goggle Chrome and go to aol.com?

Terry

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No. I go to AOL by clicking an AOL icon on my desktop and AOL then displays a sign on screen where I input my screen name and pass word. After that I get a welcoming screen where I can see news items displayed or where I can retrieve my e-mails. Whenever I click one of the news items, it appears that AOL uses Internet Explorer to retrieve the articles. In recent months I get a pop up box that says Internet Explorer can not open the item site, even though the article is already displayed on the screen. Once the pop up is present I can no longer scroll down through the article and I have to click OK to unfreeze the screen. At various times a notice also appears that says that my present browser is no longer compatible with the content I am trying to retrieve. The notice then asks me if I want to download IE8 or Goggle Chrome or Foxfire etc. As I have previously recounted IE8 won't complete its download, but I have been able to download Goggle Chrome. If I copy the link to a given article which I can't read in AOL I can paste and go to that link in Goggle without a problem. Since Goggle Chrome is working well, I want it to be the browser that AOL uses so I don't keep getting the pop up. If I wanted to I could go to AOL by first opening Goggle chrome, but this path takes more key strokes and requires an additional operation to get to my e-mail. I hope this makes sense. If you are in the US maybe it would be more efficient if we spoke by phone ?
Expert:  Terry replied 3 years ago.

First open Google Chrome then...

1. Click the wrench icon wrench icon on the browser toolbar. Mac users: If you don't see the wrench icon, go to the menu bar at the top of your screen and click Chrome.
  2. Select Options (Preferences on a Mac).
  3. Click the Basics tab.
  4. In the "Default browser" section, click Make Google Chrome my default browser.
  5. Click Close when you're done, if you're using Windows or Linux.

Change the default browser setting

If you don't want Google Chrome to be your default browser any longer, simply make another browser default.

Now open up internet Explorer click on tools choose internet options / Programs tab at the top if there is a check mark in the box remove it hit apply at the bottom.

Terry

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I had already taken these actions.
Expert:  Terry replied 3 years ago.

Do it again then close both browsers then open chrome and find a link on the page that comes up. Does Chrome browser come up or Internet Explorer?

Terry

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok I turned Chrome off as my default browser, then I turned IE on as my default browser, then I turned IE off and Chrome on as the default. Now when I go into IE it says it is not the default browser, Chrome says it is the default browser. However when I go into AOL and click on an article I still get a dialog box that says IE can not open the site !!! Can I remove IE from my computer totally without doing other damage ?

Expert:  Terry replied 3 years ago.

No you can't get rid of ie because it is used to explore your computer like when you open My Computer / Computer it uses ie. Lets try this and see what happens. When you are in Chrome instead of clicking on a link right click on the link choose copy shortcut then open a new chrome and paste it in the address bar. and then hit the enter key.

Let me know

Terry

Expert:  Terry replied 3 years ago.

Better yet when you right click on a link choose open in new tab or open in new window.

Terry

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have no problem reading any article in Chrome. My problem is only when I open AOL and try to read an article there. I can alternately right click on the article in the AOL screen and transfer it to Chrome, open it there and read it without difficulty.

I just tried something else that you might find interesting.

I opened IE, typed in AOL and went to the AOL site. I then tried to read an article but got the pop up. I then typed in www.msn.com in the ie window and open the msn page. I then successfully open several articles from the MSN site ? My problem seems limited to the combination of AOL and IE !! For some reason I can't get AOL to use Chrome as its browser, or IE to properly open AOL articles.

Expert:  Terry replied 3 years ago.

Right click on your desktop choose properties settings tab at the top. Under resolution make sure it is set to 1024 X 768. and in Internet Explorer click on View Text Size make sure it is set to medium. It is a setting in Aol Chrome or Internet Explorer. I installed Chrome and don't have any problems with Internet Explorer or chrome. Maybe next you should try uninstalling Chrome then reboot then reinstalling it. If this doesn't work I'll opt out and give other experts a go at this.

Terry

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Terry:

I have tried all this before. I am very frustrated. At this point discontinue your efforts. I think I will try and contact mircosoft and see why I can't download IE8, Thanks