Wei C.
Wei C., Consultant
Experience:  Bachelor's of Science, Electrical Engineering

Microsoft Outlook 2010/Contacts/Categories. Where is the

Microsoft Outlook 2010/Contacts/Categories.

Where is the "Master Categories List" and function to add categories to contacts?

I recently converted from Outlook 2003 to Outlook 2010 and imported all of my old Outlook.pst file. I can't find a "Master Categories List". In the list view of my old contacts, a Category column is shown and when an individual contact is open, a category field is shown near the top.

There is a silly color code category icon on the main ribbon. It shows the old category with the message (not in Master Categories List) which implies that there is a List.

In MS Help, the only references I can find apply to Business Contacts Manager, not plain Outlook.

Wei C. :

Hi, I might be able to help you with this.

Wei C. :

What you want to do is the following:

1. Go to the contacts portion of Outlook.

2. Select a contact then click on the categorize button then click on All Categories.

Full Size Image

You should see this:

Full Size Image

Here you can rename the current categories, delete them or add new ones. You can also change the color scheme if you want.

Once you have all the categories that you want/need, click on OK.

Now you can click on your contact then click categorize again and pick one of the categories that you have now to categorize them.

Just a quick followup - can I search contacts by Category?

Wei C. :

You can sort by contacts - when you're at the contact screen, if you scroll to the right more you should see the category. Just click that and it should sort your contacts by categories. You can also go to the View Tab and under the arrangement part, choose categories.