Matt, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  BSc (Hons) Software Engineering, 4+ years experience as IT Support

how do you reset a laptop toshiba L640 back to a date. I transfered

Customer Question

how do you reset a laptop toshiba L640 back to a date. I transfered some data from an old computer that I shouldn't have.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

Hi, and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting with your question.

Could you please provide some more details regarding the data in question? Why do you want to restore your computer to a previous date?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
When I transferred the data from the old laptop I also transferred some items that where causing a problem previously. I am hoping that I can go back to before the transfer and then do it again and only load Files that I want
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

I see. Can you not delete the buggy data you transferred from the old laptop? What sort of data are they? Please give specifics.

Also, if you want, you can restore the Toshiba laptop back to factory settings. This would erase everything from the laptop (so you would need to backup the data that you want) and restore your laptop back to the same condition when you first got it. Do you want to do this?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
As far as the problem data is concerned, I'm not sure what it is except windows open randomly. I don't know enough about computers to figure out what it is. I was hoping that I could nominate a date prior to the download and get rid of it.
If that is not possible than going back to factory settings may be the best option
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for the clarification.

Ok, let's try the system restore option first to restore your computer to a date before the issue.

Please go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore > Choose a different restore point, then restore your system back to a date and time prior to when you started having this issue with Windows Live Mail.

Restart thereafter, and let me know if this resolves your issue all right.

If the system restore doesn't complete successfully for some reason, just let me know.

Regards.

Matt, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: BSc (Hons) Software Engineering, 4+ years experience as IT Support
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have tried to reset to an earlier date, everything seamed to go fine, after the computer rebooted all the new files where still there.
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
Ok, the system restore process would not affect any data files. Did this resolve your issue with the windows opening randomly though?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I was under the impression that all the data after the restore date would also be gone.
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
No, the data files would not be deleted by system restore. To delete all the data files, you would need to recover your system to factory settings. Do you want to do that now?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes I thing the windows opening issue is resolved, I now want to delete the data files
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

That's good then. First of all, try deleting the data files in question manually from the location that you saved them to. Alternatively, if you want to remove everything comprehensively and restore it to factory condition, please proceed below.

Ok, Important Note - Please backup any files in your laptop that you don't want to lose, in an external location such as an external hard drive, flash drive, disk, etc. If you don't have any important files on this laptop, then proceed below.

Then, follow the steps below to recover your system to factory settings:

If the computer is running, shut it down.

Press and hold the 0 (zero) key on your keyboard and then press the computers power switch. When the computer turns on, the Toshiba HDD Recovery Utility screen will appear, presenting three options.

Press 1 to restore your hard disk drive to its original factory default state. A confirmation message will appear, indicating that all data will be overwritten and lost during the restore process.

Click Yes to begin the recovery. A message will appear once the operation is finished, indicating the HDD has been restored.

Press any key to restart the computer.

Let me know how you get on.

Regards.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Matt I will do the reset tomorrow, I have to get off line to do other things. I will let you know how it goes.
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
No problem. Take your time.