Travis B.
Travis B., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  7+ years of experience in troubleshooting computer problems. A+ Computer Maintenance and Repair

I get a error code of 0x80070715 on microsoft security essentials

I get a error code of 0x80070715 on microsoft security essentials and can not download
any new programs Roger Kellogg
[email protected]
Category: Computer
Expert:  Travis B. replied 5 years ago.

Travis B. :

Travis B. :

I will have an answer for you in a moment.

Expert:  Travis B. replied 5 years ago.
Please read Microsoft Security Essentials FAQ.
Error “0x8*******” encountered while virus and spyware definition updates or product upgrades

Microsoft Security Essentials uses Microsoft Updates (MU) service to deliver the virus and spyware definition updates and product upgrades. The definition updates and/or the product upgrade failures are generally caused by this service and results in a “0x8*******” error. If you encounter these errors, please write down the exact error code and follow these steps.

Step 1: Restart the Microsoft Update (MU) service
  1. In Windows XP, click Start , click Run , type services.msc , and then press ENTER.

2. Right click Automatic Updates and then click Start . If Start is unavailable, click Restart .

3. In Windows Vista and Windows 7, click Start , and in the Start Search box, type services.msc , and then press ENTER.

4. Right-click Windows Update , and then click Start . If Start is unavailable, click Restart .

Step 2: Troubleshoot Microsoft Update (MU) errors
  1. Visit the following Microsoft Web site .

2. On the "Windows Help and How-to" Web page, enter the error code that you received.

3. Follow the steps and try again.

4. To update the virus and spyware definitions, click the Update tab, and then click Update .

5. To upgrade Microsoft Security Essentials, from the Help menu, click Upgrade Microsoft Security Essentials .

Step 3: Submit a case online if these issues continues to occur
  1. To get support for any issue you encounter with Microsoft Security Essentials, visit the Microsoft Security Essentials support Web site .

2. In the list of issues, select the issue that is most relevant to the problem you've encountered.

3. Next, select the type of support you'd like to receive: Community Forum or E-mail Support .

4. If you think your computer is infected, select the option "I think my computer is infected" and then select Community Forum or Telephone Support .

5. To connect to the Community Forum, click Forum , and then click Go to the Forums .

6. To submit a support request by e-mail, click E-mail , complete the e-mail support form, and click Submit .

If you need anymore help please ask, otherwise have a good night and god bless! Smile

Travis B.