Matt, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  BSc (Hons) Software Engineering, 4+ years experience as IT Support

How can I restore my computer to a week ago (2-15-2011)

Customer Question

How can I restore my computer to a week ago (2-15-2011)?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

Hi, and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX X will be assisting with your question.

Please follow the steps below to restore to the date you want, if a restore point is available:

1) Go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools, then click on System Restore in the pop-down list.
2) In the System Restore window, select the Choose a different restore point option, and click on Next.
3) In the list of available Restore Points that comes up, choose a date & time you want to restore to.

4) Now follow the instructions accordingly to restore your computer back to the date & time you specified, then reboot.

Hope this helps.

Regards.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I don't have a start button, my computer is totally messed up, that's why I can't follow yoour instructions! How can you fix this?
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

Can you find a circle windows icon button in the bottom left corner of your screen? That is the 'Start' button.

Let me know if you can find it.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no I was trying to personallize things and I did something wrong! I have tried for atleast 1 1/2 weeks and can't fix it myself. I tried using (FIX IT) from Windows but to no avail!Please help me?

Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
I see. What happens when you press Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together? Do you get the Task Manager window?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes, do I go from there?

Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

Ok, in Task Manager, go to Gile>New Task (Run) and type rstrui and press Enter. Let me know if you get the system restore window now.

Regards.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
Let me know how this goes.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It's running, about 48%
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It's running, about 48%, I want to wait to make sure my computer is back to normal.
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
No problem. Take your time.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'll check it as soon as it's done running, keep your fingers crossed!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It's taking a long time, I'll get back to you as soon as it's done.
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
Ok, Just add this page to your Firefox Bookmarks and you can get back to me using that link after restarting.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok, I have to find a bookmark, then I'll do it. Thanks
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
Ok.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I can't find any number on the homepage
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
Which number are you looking for? Did you carry out the system restore?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My system restore has stopped before it's done. I don't know what to do to restart it. I don't have too much info yet
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
Did you try this in safe mode? Did you get any error message?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
sorry it took me so long to get back to you, took a shower. anyway no error message, and no I did'nt try the safemode as I can't get to that point, I don't think,. i tried to before and I couldn't move back there. I'll try again!
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

Boot up your computer again, wait for 1-2 secs and start tapping the F8 key continuously at the boot screen (usually the first screen you get when you turn on the computer) till you get the Advanced Windows Options menu. Select 'Safe Mode' there.

Let me know how this goes.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I will
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
Ok, let me know how this goes.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Good Morning Matt! I'm up and I still don't have a full screen yet, The task manager has stopped evidently, so I wondered what do I do next? There are still programs that I can't bring up or fix. I don't have that screen on desktop, etc. Let me know. Oh, how are you this morning?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
my desktop screen is not normal, it's almost a full page of icons, not where they're supposed to be. Also my email screen is impossible to view as it's layer upon layer of messages and I can't see the whole screen.
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
Ok, did you get into safe mode all right and try system restore?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes but....I'm still having problems. Everything is too large, the icons are too large, the email is still difficult to read and I restored everything but gonna have to do it again until everything is normal. I'll let you know as things progress. Go ahead and accept my payment but don't go yet ok?
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

Try adjusting your screen resolution by following the steps below:

Open Display Settings by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking Appearance and Personalization, clicking Personalization, and then clicking Display Settings.

Under Resolution, move the slider to the right to increase the resolution, and then click Apply. Adjust the resolution slider until the icons return back to the size they were before/

Hope this helps.

PS - Please click on the Accept button in order to accept the answer. I'm not going anywhere and will be here to follow up further.

Matt, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: BSc (Hons) Software Engineering, 4+ years experience as IT Support
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
do you know how I can print this last response?
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
On this page, please press the Ctrl+P keys. A printer window should come up automatically. Click Ok.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
thanks!
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
It's a pleasure.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Matt, sorry I had company. I don't have a start button, must be hidden yet. Still working on it. Back to you.
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
No problem. Ok, is the taskbar at the bottom of the screen present or is it missing?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
missing
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
Ok, now, please press Ctrl + Alt + Del in order to bring up the Task Manager, then go to File > New Task (Run), and type in explorer.exe, and press ENTER.

Does this bring back the taskbar?

Regards.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
Ok, can you see the Start button now?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'll check, be right back
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'll check, be right back. I still don't have a start button and I wondered if I should go back to task manager or not
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'll check, be right back. I still don't have a start button and I wondered if I should go back to task manager or not? It's still running! I will get back in touch with you if I have anymore questions or comments. Thank you Matt! Please don't go away?
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

I see. So, just to confirm, do you have the taskbar in the bottom of the screen?

I'm here to help....so don't worry.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no, I keep trying but get to Windows and can't move or remove the screen! I'm so tired of trying to do this that I think I'll quit for awhile & return later. Ok?
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
No problem. Just let me know here once you are back and we can continue then.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Good Morning Matt! Just to let you know, I still don't have a start button, I don't have a full screen yet and I tried reinstalling Windows and it stopped running at 27%. What do I do now?
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
Ok, do you have the Windows Vista installation disk or the system recovery disk?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I think I have system recovery disk. I'm not sure? You see I was very ill recently and almost died, was on a ventilator, ruined my short term memory and it's so frustrating! By the way, I'm 60 yrs old. I shouldn't be this way! So please bear with me?
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

I'm really sorry to hear about your health. Wish you a speedy recovery.

Ok, do you want to recover your system to factory condition?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Will I lose any of my programs or software?
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
Yes, you would need to backup your system first.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
okay, just give me a second.Smile
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
Ok.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I tried to backup and restore my files but my system is disabled.
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
Ok, could you please let me know what's mentioned exactly on the recovery disk that you have?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
sorry, I had company, phone calls and more company! I can't remember how to get this disk. I'll keep trying ok? My screens are so large! I'm sorry it's taking me so long!
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
No problem. Take your time.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I did it!! The system is downloaded and restored. Go ahead! Oh, it said it was busy backing up & restoring files
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
Ok, was the system recovery process successful? Is your system working all right now?