Tom K
Tom K, Information Systems Manager
Experience:  BS in IT from University of Massachusetts Lowell, 10+ years working on computer related problems

On Win 7, 32 bit Dell Latitude E6410, I have 2 problems. 1.

On Win 7, 32 bit Dell Latitude E6410, I have 2 problems.

1. System Update Readiness Tool KB947821 has failed to install since August 2010 when Win 7 was installed on computer.

2. The update manager often lists updates, previously installed successfully, as "ready for update."
Category: Computer
Expert:  Tom K replied 3 years ago.
See if you can install the update in question from this link directly:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=44e15787-66b0-4e9c-9c3b-1fc9ea40f69f

If that update installs it should take care of both of your problems. Make sure to restart after applying the update.

Let me know if that does not work.

If you have no further questions and are satisfied with my answer, please remember to click on Accept Answer to close this question. I will continue to work on this question with you until we find a solution that is acceptable to you. I receive no credit for your question until you click Accept.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I installed the application about 15 minutes ago, and it is still "searching for updates on this computer." Is that to be expected?
Expert:  Tom K replied 3 years ago.
Did you restart your computer after installing the update? You need to restart, then try searching for updates.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Rebooted, installed as instructed, but received message that Hotfix for Windows KB947821 was not installed. Got same message in the list of installed updates in Control Panel.
Expert:  Tom K replied 3 years ago.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I put the file on my desktop, then double-clicked to install, then rebooted, then ran the file. After doing all that, I received the message that hotfix did not install. As I write this, I told windows to check for updates via the control panel. Should "programs and features" in the control panel displayed that the hotfix file was installed?
Expert:  Tom K replied 3 years ago.
You mention you double clicked to install, then rebooted. Did you reboot before the install finished?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No I did not reboot before the install finished. Just to make sure, I did everything again. I rebooted, clicked the downloaded file from you, confirmed that I wanted to install the hotfix, then received a message that hotfix did not install. I am going to try the install again while waiting for your response. I really appreciate your help.
Expert:  Tom K replied 3 years ago.
Ok you need to let the install finish completely before rebooting the computer. Once it has completely finished, then reboot the computer and check for normal updates.

If you cut off the install by rebooting halfway through, it will not install.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I started the install again. It has been searching for updates for at least 20 minutes. Should I continue?
Expert:  Tom K replied 3 years ago.
OK I am a bit confused on what exactly is going on right now so let me clear things up.

First- you need to download the update file from here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=44e15787-66b0-4e9c-9c3b-1fc9ea40f69f
and after downloading immediately run and install it. Do not do anything else, do not scan for updates or restart your computer at any point. Just download that update from that link, then run the installer until it has said it is finished.

Second- now after the update you download from the link directly above has completely finished, and has said the install is complete, then you need to restart the computer.

Third- after restarting, and logging back in, try to search for normal updates the way you were trying previously through Windows update.

Follow those 3 steps exactly and let me know if it works or not. I just want to get on the same page here because it seems like we are not completely understanding each other. If it does not work, we will take further action from there to get this working for you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I downloaded the file to my desktop and immediately ran it. It has been "searching for updates on this computer" for more than 10 minutes. If that's normal, I'll just be patient, but I thought I ought to check with you.
Expert:  Tom K replied 3 years ago.
OK and the downloaded file has completely installed?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
How can I be sure that the download file is installed? I did not see a message indicating that it was installed. If you'll recall, earlier I got a message saying that the hotfix file was NOT installed.
Expert:  Tom K replied 3 years ago.
After you clicked to run the downloaded file, it should have started the install and showed a progress bar, and then finished with a window confirming it either did or did not install.

Also while it is installing, you absolutely should not restart the computer or search for new updates.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It's not showing the type of progress bar that one sees when an application is installing. I did not reboot or click search for updates from the control panel or anywhere else. The green bar goes from left to right and back again as if it is in a continuous loop. It has been doing that for almost 40 minutes.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Finally, an installation window appeared. The installation finished, but a message appeared saying that Hotfix KB947821 was not installed. Should I reboot?
Expert:  Tom K replied 3 years ago.
Reboot and then try Windows Update and see if it works.

If it does not work, it should give an error code as to why, can you send me the error code?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I rebooted and Windows Update has been running since shortly after your last post at 3:30; it's now 4:24. It's been downloading updates for about 30 minutes.
Expert:  Tom K replied 3 years ago.
OK let me know if its able to then install the updates its downloading right now or if it gives an error.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It's not downloading anything. The progress bar has been at 0% for 30 minutes. I know there is something really wrong here because my 2 other Win 7 computers download and install pretty quickly. Within the last 10 minutes one computer has downloaded and installed 15 updates having 336 MB
Expert:  Tom K replied 3 years ago.
OK sorry I am getting back to you just now. Did the computer ever progress in downloading any updates or give an error message/code?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No it didn't; I finally stopped the update after more than one hour. I didn't get back to you today because I had meetings with clients and didn't return until this post.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Again, sorry for not getting back today. I was in meetings with clients all day and could not use my computer during those meetings. Just returning home now. I hope you have time to reply tomorrow (2/24/2011).
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I think I found the error code you were looking for in the windows history update on the control panel where it listed the hotfix installation as failed. The code is(NNN) NNN-NNNN The windows update continuously tells me to install KB 977165 and KB(NNN) NNN-NNNNeven though the history says they were successfully installed on numerous occasions.
Expert:  Tom K replied 3 years ago.
Go to this link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

Click on the Microsoft Fix it icon in the middle of the page then follow the steps/prompts to run the microsoft fix it. Run the fix it in Aggressive when asked if you want to run Default or Agressive. After the fix it has ran, check to see if Windows Update works now.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I followed your instructions exactly, and for the past at least 30 minutes, the computer has been seraching for updates. My other computers search and download much faster.
Expert:  Tom K replied 3 years ago.
Did the fix it prompt you to restart the computer after it finished?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, and I did restart as instructed.
Expert:  Tom K replied 3 years ago.
Click on Start, type in services.msc and hit Enter.

The services window should open. Find the service named Windows Update, right click and choose Stop.

Ok now on your computer find this folder:

C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution

Right click the Software Distribution folder and choose Delete.

Then:

1. Please download the subinacl.msi file from the following link and save the installation patch onto the Desktop:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e8ba3e56-d8fe-4a91-93cf-ed6985e3927b&displaylang=en#AffinityDownloads

2. Please go to the Desktop and double click the downloaded file.

3. Please select the C:\Windows\System32 folder as the Destination Folder during the installation. Later we will use this tool to reset the permission settings on the current machine.

Note: If the UAC (User Account Control) window is prompted for permission to continue, please click Continue.

4. Click Start, in the Start Search bar, type: "notepad" (without quotes) and press Enter.

5. Copy the following commands and then paste them into the open Notepad window:

@echo off

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=administrators=f

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=administrators=f

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=administrators=f

subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=administrators=f

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=system=f

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=system=f

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=system=f

subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=system=f

@Echo =========================

@Echo Finished.

@Echo =========================

@pause

6. After pasting the above commands, please close the Notepad window. Choose Save when you are prompted to save the file. Type "reset.bat" as the file name and choose Desktop from the left panel as the save location.

7. Refer to the Desktop, right click the reset.bat file, and then choose "Run as administrator."

8. You will see a DOS-like window processing.

Note: It may take several minutes, please be patient. When it completes, you will be prompted with the message: "Finished, press any key to continue".

Then finally run the fix it again at: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

Then restart your computer and once started back up try searching for updates again.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I did exactly as instructed. I began checking for updates at 1:15; it's 1:38; and the computer is still checking for updates.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It's 2:19 and still checking for updates.
Expert:  Tom K replied 3 years ago.
I want you to run a program called combofix to hopefully correct this issue.

Shutdown and close any and all anti-spyware, virus, and malware programs you have open, as they will interfere with the program we are going to run called ComboFix.

Now download ComboFix from this link: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/anti-virus/combofix it is the link listed ComboFix Download Link #2 you want to click on from the link above
and save it to your desktop.

Once its on your desktop double click it to run it, click Yes on the Disclaimer when it shows up, click yes on any other prompts that show up, allow the scan to run and restart the computer when finished.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I don't think this worked. Computer has been checking for updates since 3:04; it's now 3:31. The progress bar is going in circles, like a continuous loop, just as on every other try.
Expert:  Tom K replied 3 years ago.
Did you run Combofix?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, I know I did because received and saved a file of a combofix log.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Around 9:00, KB947821, 977165, and(NNN) NNN-NNNNdownloaded. After 3 hours, a message said that 977165 and(NNN) NNN-NNNNwere installed, but 947821 failed. Nothing has changed since we began working on this problem. It did not offer Service Pack 1 to download as was the case on my other Win 7 computers.
Expert:  Tom K replied 3 years ago.
Lets try manually downloading and install Winodws 7 service pack 1.

Click on this link: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=c3202ce6-4056-4059-8a1b-3a9b77cdfdda&displaylang=en

Click on the Continue button, then click on the download button next to windows6.1-KB976932-X86.exe

Choose to Run the download and service pack 1 will start installing as soon as the download finishes.

Lets see if that helps.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I got a message saying that "Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service."
Expert:  Tom K replied 3 years ago.
At what point do you receive that message, after the download finishes and you start to install?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
During the install
Expert:  Tom K replied 3 years ago.
OK re-download the file. This time choose to save it and save it to the desktop. Then once its finished downloading, right click the file and choose Run as Administrator.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
When I first downloaded the file, there was not a choice to run or save, you had to save it someplace so I had saved it to the desktop and ran it NOT as an administrator. I just attempted to run as administrator and was immediately told that insifficient resources exit.
Expert:  Tom K replied 3 years ago.
Ugh... this has been one heck of a problem. Can you try restarting your computer and running the installer again.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I restarted the computer, I ran the program normally, then ran it as administrator and got the same insufficient resources message. Interestingly, after restartiing, I got a message about downloading the same three files as last night. I am starting to wonder if I need to reinstall widows, but I'd rather have a root canal.
Expert:  Tom K replied 3 years ago.
Thats what I am absolutely trying to avoid here.

Re-installing windows is a major pain, so lets just keep plugging away at other possible fixes.

Ok click on Start, then click on Accessories, then right click Command Prompt and choose Run as Administrator.

Now type in sfc /scannow and hit enter.

This may take a bit to run, but it will repair any broken Windows install files that may be causing the problem.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I did what you asked. I typed sfc /scannow with a space between "sfc" and "/" Then I tried it without a space. I did both things twice and got "Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service."
Expert:  Tom K replied 3 years ago.
OK follow these steps then try running sfc /scannow again.

1. Click Start, type Services.msc

2. Double-click Windows Modules Installer

3. Set its Startup type to Manual

4. Click OK.

Then open command prompt as administrator again and type in sfc /scannow and hit Enter.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The start-up type had already been set to manual, but I clicke OK and did the scannow as instructed. Got the same message about not being able to start the repair service.
Expert:  Tom K replied 3 years ago.
I forgot to add, in the Windows Modules Installer, make sure to hit Start. Then retry.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
When I hit start in the windows Module installer, I got error code 1450 and the same message about insufficient resources.
Expert:  Tom K replied 3 years ago.
Hmmm... OK, more back steps here but lets try this, then try to start the Windows Module Installer.

Click on Start, type in regedit and hit Enter.

Navigate to this registry key, clicking on the Control folder:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control

Then click on Edit, the New, then DWORD value.

For the name type in:

RegistrySizeLimit

Then right click it and choose Modify.

In the value data box enter:

ffffffff

Then click OK.

Now try to run sfc /scannow.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
There is an existiing RegistrySizeLimit file. The Value Date is 6fa59d0, and the base is hexadecimal. Should I edit the value data in that file? Do we need to preserve the contents of the existing file?
Expert:  Tom K replied 3 years ago.
Right click and choose Modify on the RegistrySizeLimit, then change the value data to ffffffff

Thats 8 f's in a row just to make it easier.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No luck, same answer, can run the services. I did what you instructed twice.
Expert:  Tom K replied 3 years ago.
Restate and then try it, see if it sfc /scannow will run after restarting without starting the windows module installer service.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Restarting allowed the scan to run. When it finished, a message said that no integrity violations were found.
One other issue. My bank debit card has been charged $38.00, but I did not authorize it by clicking "Accept Answer."
Expert:  Tom K replied 3 years ago.
Before asking a question, customers have to place a deposit to justanswers website. I do not receive any payment until a customer clicks on accept.

Ok now see if you can install windows 7 service pack one.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Got message that Service Pack 1 is installed. After receiving that message, I clicked check for updates. The list of installed updates includes Service Pack 1 (KB976932) as well as KB976902. It also told me that System Update Readiness Tool KB947821 [February 2011] is ready for downloading. I am guessing that was earlier today and maybe superceded by Service Pack 1. Should I download and install System Update Readiness Tool KB947821 [February 2011]? Should I restart first?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Decided not to wait for you. Checked for updates and it downloaded and installed 9 important aparently new updates including System Update Readiness Tool KB947821 [February 2011]. Installed optional updates successfully as well. The last check for updates about 5 minutes ago said that there were no important or optional updates available. I THINK this solves the problem. Do we need to change anything in the registry or elsewhere before I click "Accept Answer?"
Expert:  Tom K replied 3 years ago.
Excellent! Glad to see it finally worked. No other changes need to be made, and you are good to go now. You can click on accept now.
Tom K, Information Systems Manager
Experience: BS in IT from University of Massachusetts Lowell, 10+ years working on computer related problems
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Tom, thank you for pursuing this since Tuesday. Can you pass on to your supervisors/managers that, I am happy with not only the outcome but your professionalism in getting this problem solved. If your colleagues treat their customers as you have treated me and are as knowledgable as you are, this is a valuable and helpful organization. I would not hesitate to recommend Just Ask to anyone. Again, thank you.
Expert:  Tom K replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the kind comments! This has been one of the toughest questions I have ever dealt with, and I always appreciate a customer who is willing to stick it out until we find a solution.