ConnectGO
ConnectGO, Consultant
Experience:  Computer troubleshooting for 15+ years, build computers from scratch, work in computer field

Ok, this is a Expression Web 4 question that I havent received

Customer Question

<p>Ok, this is a Expression Web 4 question that I haven't received a good answer to. I have been trying to find a plug in that will play video on my website that also comes with a player (skin) other than the standard insert media options (flash movie, Silverlight, Windows Media Player in EW. I have tried several flash player downloads that say they will work, but they all require pretty extensive knowledge of HTML, which I do not. I have figured out how to hyperlink to Quick Time movies that open in a new window, but not how to embed the player in my web page. Maybe I should have started out by saying that the whole point of this excercise is to embed the players in my web page so they don't open in a new windo. The EW insert media funcition is great for windows (wmv) but it leave Mac users unable to view video on my site</p><p>I should add that in my on-line search for an answer to the above, I ended up at an article that HTML5 would be a good option and that there was a HTML5 player that would work.  I saw that Expression Web has a new HTML free download so I installed it.  I was hoping that it would repopulate the insert media file menu with a player but it didn't.  I have asked the same question in the Expression Web on-line blog community but it hasn't been answered there.</p><p> Is someone working on this??????</p><p>I just upped my offer to $88.00</p>
Category: Computer
Expert:  johnn mack replied 3 years ago.

here is a link to embed it on a page .

javascript:(function%20()%20{var%20video_id%20=%20null;var%20video_hash%20=%20null;var%20video_player%20=%20document.getElementById(%27movie_player%27);if%20(video_pl ayer)%20{var%20flash_variables=video_player.attributes.getNamedItem(%27flashvars%27);if%20(flash_variables)%20{var%20flash_values=flash_variables.value;if%20(flash_values)%20{var%20video_id_match=flash_values.match(/video_id=([^(\&|$)]*)/);if%20(video_id_match!=null)%20video_id=video_id_match[1];var%20video_hash_match=flash_values.match(/t=([^(\&|$)]*)/);if%20(video_hash_match!=null)%20video_hash=video_hash_match[1];}}}if%20(video_id==null%20||%20video_hash==null)%20{var%20args=unsafeWindow.swfArgs;if%20(args)%20{video_id=args[%27video_id%27];video_hash=args[%27t%27];}}if%20(video_id==null%20||%20video_hash==null)%2 0return;var%20yt_mp4_path%20=%27http://www.Youtube.com/get_video?fmt=18&video_id=%27+video_id+%27&t=%27+video_hash;var%20div_embed=document.getElementById(%27watch-player-div%27);if%20(div_embed)%20{div_embed.innerHTML=%27<embed%20src=\%27%27+yt_mp4_path+%27\%27%20type=%22video/mp4%22%20width=480%20height=400%20scale=\%27aspect\%27></embed>%27;}})();
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok, you obviously know HTML code better than I. Again, as I indicated in my question I am not at all good with HTML. The code you show may indeed work, but how do I go about getting it into an Expression Web 4 page? Do I copy and paste it into the code tab page and expect it to show up in the design tab as a player? Then how do I link it to a video.....and what encoding format is you code designed to accept?
All you have to do is copy and past the and it should preview the player. also its sets to play mp4and flash.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'll give it a try in the morning and let you know how it works. If it does as you say then I owe you a big Thank You! And $88
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Unfortunately it did not work. I tried to express in my question that I am working in Expression Web 4, NOT publishing directly to my hosting services server. I am attaching 2 screen shots that show what happened. I created a new blank HTML page and copied the code you sent into the Code View of the page (ScreenShot003). Then I swithced back to Desgin View (ScreenShot004). graphicgraphic
Expert:  ConnectGO replied 3 years ago.
I should be able to work through this with you. Tell me first what type of video do you want to embed in your web page?

Thanks
Jason
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok, again (not that you didn't notice....but that it seems to be something that is overlooked much of the time) I am using Microsoft Expression Web 4 as my web page creation, editing, and publishing program. If you are not famalier with it it is an upgraded version of Front Page without all of the cumbersome FP extensions. The program comes with a Insert --> Media --> (flash movie, Silverlight, Windows Media Player) function. That works ok for Silverlight or Windows Media, but the flash movie option does not embed any player (skin) and I have had a dismal time trying to find one that works. I just upgraded to HTML5 believing that the player associated with it would play just about anything (wmv, mov, MP4) and revert back to flash if a browser wouldn't support the former. At least that is what the technical info I read about HTML5 said. If that is incorrect, I would at least like to be able to post mov (quicktime) and MP4. That should take care of PC's, Macs, & I-phones. I have had success in linking to mov files but they open in a new window viewer instead of in the page which is what I am trying to accomplish.
Expert:  ConnectGO replied 3 years ago.
Yes I am familiar with Expression Web,

have you tried the videojs.com player? It is free and open source, this is fully browser compatible. I can help you get this to work, I think this would be your best solution.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No I have not tried videojs player, although I do have the information regarding it saved to my desktop as part of the research I have done. It looks like a very good option, however the HTML code issues are still a problem to me. One of the first instructions in videojs is to "upload the latest version to you server" and then it goes into the html script that needs to be changed.....and at that point I am lost. From what I read after upgrading EW to HTML5 it seemed like the best option but I am lost in the code. If you can help with that maybe we can get it to work.
Expert:  ConnectGO replied 3 years ago.
Ok I understand how this can be confusing, but I can walk you through this, it really isn't too bad, and you will learn a lot in the process.

Do you currently have a web hosting account set up somewhere? If so, who is the web hosting provider, and what is your domain name?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sorry about the delays, I am in and out of my office today. Yes, my web hosting service is Hostway (www.hostway.com) and the new site I am trying to build is www.rroodtube.com . I know.....the sound alike to YouTube is on purpose and it ties back to my main website www.rrood.com which is also at Hostway
Expert:  ConnectGO replied 3 years ago.
No problem, I'm working on multiple things in and out of office as well..so it works out.

Ok so let's take it step by step, first have you downloaded the videojs files from their website or here http://videojs.com/downloads/video-js-2.0.2.zip ?

Unzip it to a location where you will be able to find it, then upload the video-js folder to your web host? This folder would go in your public_html directory or wherever your index.html file normally goes if their file structure is different.

Let me know when you have accomplished this part or if you need any clarification on how to do so.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok, I've done that.

The one thing I guess I should tell you is that I know enough to get into my web hosting service and the files and folders in my site to mauver around. I use Filezilla to upload folders and files that I don't create and edit in Expression Web. So doing simple tasks like this is no problem. It's just when HTML code get's involved I get lost. The only computer programing experience I have ever had was Fortran and Cobal back in the 70's in college.

Expert:  ConnectGO replied 3 years ago.
Ok for this line, which you just put in the code display view below the <body> or if there is already a
<head> tag then put the code within the existing head tags, minus the head tags that are in the code below
(in other words don't have more than one <head> and </head>

To be safe put "absolute" links in there, so if you uploaded the folder video-js to your
public_html directory then the line that says script src="video.js" you would change the video.js to
DANGEROUS URL REMOVED leaving everything else quotes and all intact,

the other line href="video-js.css" would then change to href="http://rroodtube.com/video-js/video-js.css"

<head>
...
<script src="video.js" type="text/javascript" charset="utf-8"></script>
<link rel="stylesheet" href="video-js.css" type="text/css" media="screen" title="Video JS" charset="utf-8">
...
<script type="text/javascript" charset="utf-8">
// Add VideoJS to all video tags on the page when the DOM is ready
VideoJS.setupAllWhenReady();
</script>
</head>

Now the next part I am going to download a trial of expression web 4 so I know more what you are
working with, and I will give you instructions on how to easily enter the necessary code.

Do you have a video file uploaded on your hosting account, that I can use as an example? The movie file
should be in MPEG-4 format
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok, I think I understand. I created a new HTML5 page (ScreenShot003) and checked that the body box created was represented by a cursor at the <body> on line 11. So I copied and pasted your code below that <body> as shown in (ScreenShot004). I also changed the src="video.js" to "DANGEROUS URL REMOVED" as you instructed. This was all done in the code tab of Expression Web. ScreenShot005 shows what all of that provided in the design tab, which would be the page view that would saved as the HTML page to publish. Am I doing right so far?

Yes I have a MP4 moivie file on the server named Tyler-Scores-MP4.mp4, it is in the same server website folder as the video-js folder which on my server is named www. (the mp4 file is NOT in the video-js folder but is in the same web directory folder)graphicgraphicgraphic

Expert:  ConnectGO replied 3 years ago.
My mistake, put the new code including the head tags above the <body> tag, make sure there is only 1 set of <head></head> tags
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Do you mean above the on line 11, or replace the on line 7.  In other words I don't know if you mean to leave the </head> and insert your code, including <head> below that.  Or by saying that their should be only one <head> </head> if that means one or the other - or both....and where and in what order?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Just checking if you got my last reply (yesterday) and if my question makes sense?
Expert:  ConnectGO replied 3 years ago.
Hi I apologize I got swamped with an emergency project, I'm going to put together the code for you exactly how it should be, I will have it for you tomorrow
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok great! I wasn't pushing you or anything. I just wanted to make sure that you got my last reply. You have been very responsive so I thought I should check. Tomorrow will be fine, or longer if you need. I've been messing around with this for a month now and a couple more days isn't going to make much difference.

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Just checking to see how your emergencies are progressing. Again, no real hurry but I would like to try to finish figuring this out as soon as you get a chance.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello my friend. Have you given up on me?

If you don't think my $ offer is acceptable please let me know. We got pretty far down this path and then you seemed to have gone silent.

Expert:  ConnectGO replied 3 years ago.
Hello I apologize for the delays, I am working on this right now!
Expert:  ConnectGO replied 3 years ago.
BTW I just noticed the DANGEROUS URL REMOVED that is actually the JustAnswer platform removing the URL the URL they are removing is

http://rroodtube.com/video-js/ video.js

but without the space before video.js

I'm working on putting it all together for you now.

Thanks
Jason
Expert:  ConnectGO replied 3 years ago.
Can you tell me exactly where this file is Tyler-Scores-MP4.mp4? Is it in the same folder as your index.html file?

Thanks
Jason
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, see the attached screen shot. This is the directory structure of my web hosting service. Everything that is seen on the web is contained in the www folder (I believe some other hosts use a public folder). I uploaded the video-js folder to that directory as well as the Tyler-Scores- MP4.mp4 which is the 10th item down from the video-js folder. The Tyler Scores-H264-512-320.mp4 file right above it is the same video just a little different bit rate and frame size, but still a mp4 video file. Either would work.
graphic
View Full Image
Expert:  ConnectGO replied 3 years ago.
Ok it's a little strange because I can't directly link to any of those files for example if I go here

http://rroodtube.com/Tyler-Scores-MP4.mp4 it says file not found.

but let me give you the code in a moment linking to that file and we'll see if it works anyway
Expert:  ConnectGO replied 3 years ago.
Ok I tried this on my server with linking to your .mp4 file, then I tried linking to a .mp4 file that I downloaded, and it didn't work, I then tried downloading the .mp4 file from videojs.com and that particular .mp4 file does work

you can copy the code from this file

http://connectgo.com/videojstest.html

just replacing the source of the video everywhere, where you see http://www.connectgo.com/oceans-clip.mp4 with

http://rroodtube.com/Tyler-Scores-MP4.mp4

But the next issue is that the .mp4 file itself there is not working, so it may be an issue with how it was incoded, I'm going to find the proper way to ecode .mp4 files, and we'll try that.

So the code that is up at
http://connectgo.com/videojstest.html all you have to do is right click view source and copy that code. There is the header part, and then the Begin VideoJS part, which is the embed code, once we get the videos encoded properly you just have to insert the header on any page you want, and then insert the embed code where you want the video, and change the video name to whatever video you upload.

How did you create the .mp4 file by the way?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Wow, that is a lot of infomation. The url to the file (copied an pasted from filezilla to clipboard) is

ftp://XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX/www/Tyler-Scores-MP4.mp4 I don't kow about the directory as shown, but I checked to see if the file opened on my computer, which it did, and then re-uploaded it to the www folder. I am having the same problem opening it expecpt on my computer so I don't know what the problem is. If I go to the web page on line I can open Tyler Scores MOV.mov wich is in the same dorectory structure, as well as Tyler Scores WMV.wmv in the player embeded in the page (if you want to check them out @ www.rroodtube.com) Again, I can open all of them on my computer with no problem.

I created the MP4 by converting it in ALO Any Video Audio Converter from MPEG files which I also did to create the H264 videp.

The rest of what you wrote I will have to expolore, and it is going to take me some time. I know you have spent a great deal of time on this. I'd be willing to go ahead and autorize the payment if you like and then if there is a way to pay you some more I would be willing to do that also.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I see that Just Answer took out some of the url. The X's are XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX I just tried something else and added the MP4 video to my I-tunes library - the exact same video I uploaded - and it plays great on my I-phone so I don't think there is anything wrong with the video.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Wow, Just Answer is really paranoid about web addresses. let's try this again - I will leave a space between each of the characters this time so maybe that will outsmart the computer. r r o o d t u b e @ w w w. r r o o d t u b e. c o m
Expert:  ConnectGO replied 3 years ago.
ok I'm not sure why it works in IPhone but I just encoded your WMV file, which I was able to download from your site, and converted it to .mp4 and it seems to work

http://connectgo.com/videojstest.html

The converter I used was here

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes it does work. I'm not sure what that means. I will try re-encoding the MP4 file in the morning and see if I can find the problem.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok try this one (again spaced between characters so Just Answer accepts it

http:// w w w. r r o o d t u b e. c o m / T y l e r % 2 0 S c o r e s % 2 0 4. m p 4 (Tyler Scores 4) I did exactly what you did and converted the wmv file to MP4. I think the problem is that the MP4's have no player associated with them. The WMV video was created with the automatic function of Expression Web and the MOV video was created and saved in Quick Time Player and uploaded.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok I got it to sort of work. I copied and pasted the code that you tole me to and replaced the connectgo references with rroodtube. The "player" showed up in a new page but it wouldn't play the video. As I looked at your code, I noticed that you have referenced flowplayer in the middle of it a couple of times. Knowing that flowplayer is a flash player, I converted the tyler scores video to a FLV file and uploaded it and it plays fine. I see 2 problems - 1 is that I don't know why your video-js code won't play the mp4 files unless it has something to do with the flowplayer references, and - 2, I don't want the player to open in a new browser, but rather to play in the rroodtube page in the same manner as I have the wmv file playing - in place, locked size, with the player skin.

You have been great but I am about ready to go ahead and pay the $200 for MP4 functionality that Expression Web offers so that I can just use the Insert--> Silverlight into the design view of my web page. All of the codes are automatically written using that function and the player should (i believe) be embeded the same as the Windows Media player is

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi, any comments about my last reply of this morning?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hello again my friend. Just checking if you have had a chance to review my last comments and if you have any response.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello again. I guess I need to ask if you have decided to withdraw from my question since I haven't had a response since last Wednesday. If so, I understand but would like to be told that is the case. As I have indicated before, I have no problem paying the fee for your services and am not opposed to continuing with whatever you believe is a fair price if there is a way to do it through Just Answer.

Please reply with your thoughts at your earliest convenience.