Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Ten years of computer support. Microsoft MCP & CompTIA A+ certifications. Windows 8 7 Vista XP etc.
30037186

I have a Vaio but cant get the second monitor to apply, if

Customer Question

I have a Vaio but cant get the second monitor to apply, if I check extend it goes back to the original first monitor 1. Want to use my flat screen as a powerpoint presentor, but cant change display setting?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Bernie replied 3 years ago.
Hi, I'm Bernie and I'll be the technician helping you today. Sorry to hear you're having this issue.

How do you have the laptop connected to the flat screen (VGA cable, or HDMI for example), and also what do you see on the tv screen, is it just dark when the laptop is connected?

I'll stand by for your reply.

Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Bernie, hope we're not here for the weekend. Vaio is connected from the VGA out, to HDMI on the plasma. The screen is black no signal at all (I'm on the correct HDMI input), but it seems that there's no signal getting there because I can't switch to extended mode. It keeps defaulting back to first monitor. Second monitor is greyed out.
Expert:  Bernie replied 3 years ago.
Please try toggling the LCD cutoff switch on your laptop while it is connected to the TV.

Press FN (lower left usually) on the keyboard, and while holding it down press F5, F6, or F7 (you may need to do some trial and error - but eventually the laptop screen should go dark and be transferred to the external source, your tv).
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, I tried all those earlier, that's how I ended up here, read all the forums first. None of the FN combos work. If I could only get it to take the second screen when I apply it. Is it not taking it because it doesn't see another monitor? Doesn't recognize the TV?
Expert:  Bernie replied 3 years ago.
Unfortunately I am out of ideas - but I will opt out and give other experts a chance to try and solve your question. You'll get an email when another technician has posted to this page. They have access to this thread and can see everything we've tried so far. Thank you for you patience.
Expert:  Viet - Computer Tech replied 3 years ago.

First, you have to set the menu on the TV to set the source to PC/Computer.

Now the VGA to HDMI does not work; it requires a very special converter and is expensive. Please use the VGA port on your TV.

Thanks,
-Viet
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There's no VGA port on Panasonic TVs made in the two year period mine was made, a 2008 model--they've since put them back in from all the bitching from people like me. I've read in several forums that people got their VGA to HDMI to work nicely without that converter box. But I couldn't understand the conversion process. DVI and HDMI are encoded that same way, and Vaio is compatible with DVI.
Maybe with newer TV. Can you please use DVI to HDMI cable for about $10?

graphic

Thanks,
-Viet
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The Vaio doesn't have a DVI, only VGA. My question is not why I'm not getting a pic on my plasma. But why won't the Vaio accept the "apply" to extended window? Why, when I apply it, does it default back to the primary screen? Is it because it doesn't detect "an-nother" screen? I highlight the second screen in display, then hit apply and it doesn't hold. Won't accept it. Howz Cuz?
Sorry, you need a converter; click here. Or click here to get a USB to DVI adapter. And use the DVI to HDMI cable.

graphic

Thanks,
-Viet
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Those aren't expensive. $45. But my original question remains, why can't I get "extend to my windows desktop onto this monitor?" to take the second monitor? Is it because it doesn't detect a second monitor? If so, that has nothing to do with conversion. It has something to do with the internal settings on the Vaio. I read the help on settings, it defaults to cont/alt/F5 for switching between monitors, but doesn't work, doesn't switch, that's why I came here. I think the conversion has to do with quality, not signal recognition. Why won't the display setting allow me to change to change to another monitor?
As I've said, the reason is you don't have the converter. It's not the setting on the Vaio laptop. You can confirm this by plugging an external desktop monitor to the Vaio laptop.

Thanks,
-Viet
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Give me a couple mins., I have an external here, trying now.
OK, take your time; please use vga to vga or vga to dvi (no vga to hdmi). Thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok, I can't test it dammit, I only have male to female VGAs in the house, my other desktop and laptop, and small HD TV (with VGA input)all have female-female connections. I'll have to buy a male-male VGA at Best Buy tomorrow to check it. If it works I will pay you, I'm an honest man. How do I keep this open to pay you if it works? Just leave it open? Don't reply? Let me know what to do and when I buy the cable I'll try it and see if I can set the second monitor. If it works you earned it, just let me know how to keep this open. Thanks Viet.
No problem, take your time. You can go to this web page any time to reply to me tomorrow or whenever you get this done.

http://www.justanswer.com/computer/4ls74-vaio-cant-second-monitor-apply.html

Thanks,
-Viet
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok buddy will let you know, I want this more than you! big presentation coming up and I "assumed"--big mistake--my plasma had vga....duh. shoulda checked.
Thanks
OK, Good luck! Thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Viet

Are you still out in virtual land? I got the male-male vga and connected my Vaio to another laptop, and better yet also tried it to a small flat screen with vga connection. When I switch the Vaio's display setting to monitor two (extend this...) I lose all control of the Vaio screen, it shrinks in size, all desktop icons and programs disappear and get no signal to either the second laptop or the small TV.
Please do not connect to another laptop. Please connect to an external monitor. Also, try to use the Fn function. Please try adjusting the resolutions of each display (laptop & monitor). thanks.

Edited by Viet - Computer Tech on 2/17/2011 at 4:57 AM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I messed with the Vaio laptop resolution, tried them all. When I try to extend to the second monitor the Vaio's screen shrinks, and I lose control of everything on it. When I change the Vaio settings it only shrinks, it doesn't expand any. So when I hook to the second monitor the Vaio screen shrinks about 15% on each end, black stripes, I lose all control of the Vaio because everything on the screens disappears except the mouse, but since theer's nothing on the screen except the shrunken screen saver the mouse is of course useless.
That's really strange why the 2nd monitor causes these issues. Please click below to download and install the BIOS, video/graphics and chipset drivers if available.
http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/select-system.pl?DIRECTOR=DRIVER

If there is still issue, what is the exact model of your Vaio?

Thanks,
-Viet
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Viet,

It's so messed up I don't know how to explain it? I've used dual monitors before many times in my recording studio but have never seen anything like this.

My Vaio is a VGN-A600. Display card is a ATI Radeon Mobility x600.

All I want to do is use my TV for a larger presentation from the Vaio laptop, but I'm just trying to get the Vaio to function with a small MAG monitor for now. I ordered the VGA-HDMI conversion box, but I need to get my Vaio straightened out before I can even think of using the TV.

I went last night and got quite a few updates from your link above. New Bios came with a new Radeon update, and got an updated chipset.

This is what I have now. My laptop has no desktop icons, just the task bar icons. The display is as large as I can get it, but is only 3/4 the size of the laptop screen now. The "Vaio" or "main screen" is on the MAG monitor instead of the laptop. I can get to that MAG desktop, icons, everything. The second monitor is there and seems to function although it has no taskbar, no start menu.

The main Vaio laptop monitor screen is the problem. Where did the icons go, and why is it so tiny?

They are reversed. When I identify them in display it says monitor 1 is the MAG, and secondary monitor is the Vaio, even if I switch them, the laptop is never the 1 monitor. But when I switch them, it just reverses the problem. The MAG's screen is too small, no icons.

For ex. to get to control panel to display I go to the Vaio because it's the only one with a task bar, and start menu. I bring up display and it opens in the second monitor (MAG) window. Still nothing at all in the laptop screen.

Something is reversed. Why am I losing my main laptop desktop and icons when a monitor added? And why are they reversed? While you're there, what is the square root of pie?

Please try this: remove the extend option. Then use the Fn and the monitor key to switch the display to get the laptop shows only. Then try extending again.

If that does not work, please click http://support.amd.com/us/Pages/AMDSupportHub.aspx, then select your Notebook ATI Radeon Mobility x600 (older model) to download and install the ATI driver/software. Then restart the computer and right-click on an empty space on the Desktop, then click on the ATI... item. Then use the ATI program to configure multiple display settings.

Thanks,
-Viet
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok, it's FN + F7 on the Vaio to switch screens. I unextended, switched, and rextended. Now the correct desktop is on the Vaio laptop, and the screen with no icons and no taskbar is on the secondary monitor, the MAG. So the reversng problem is gone, but now need to extend what is on the laptop to the secondary monitor. You think I should go to the ATI drivers now and configure the multiple display settings? Or was that in case I couldn't get them reversed?

Great, you did that correctly. Yes, that was the case, you can only make either the laptop or the external monitor primary by unextending first, then use the Fn + F7. Now you have make the laptop the primary, you can try to extend again; if there is any issue, you can always unextend and do Fn + F7 again. If it does not work, or does not work well, they you should download and install the ATI driver.

Thanks,
-Viet
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Aren't computers supposed to make life easier?

Ok, I went to the link you have above, the AMD support page. But when I downloaded the drivers for the x600 Radeon, it said there was no hardware or software in my computer compatible with those drivers. So I surfed over to TechSpot and searched for my display drivers and downloaded them from there. I immediately got the second monitor up but no icons, and no programs would open in it, they only opened in the laptop--no extension over there. I could only scrape the cursor over to the second monitor back and forth. So I knew I was close, but why wouldn't the second monitor show anything other than a cursor? So I right clicked on the desktop like you said to open the ATI Radeon Catalyst Control Center that the new drivers added to the desktop. I extended and extended, until I was extended. It just wouldn't extend, so for the hell of it I clicked on "clone" and it works. For some reason extend does not function either with the Vaio or how I have it figured but I'm up and running with the MAG monitor. The aspect ratio is whacked out but that doesn't matter I'm not using that MAG monitor anyway I'm trying to use my plasma TV. When the VGA-HDMI converter gets here I will have more work to do but the converter I bought is supposed to take care of aspect automatically--I bought a much better converter.

I'm not there but you certainly earned your keep by getting me this far. Thanks for hanging with me, and wish me luck that I don't have a second set of nightmares with the Panasonic plasma TV when the converter arrives. I bought this one.

Atlona AT-HD500 PC / Laptop to HDMI Converter with built-in Scaler

Thanks Viet, I hope I never have to speak with you again...lol. But ya never know.
Go Buckeyes!
Steve
Sure, you can get back to me any time. If you can get the extending option to work, then in order to display any program/file on the 2nd display, you have to hold the top bar of that program/file and drag over. (Note: the program/file must not be maximized in order to drag).

Please click on Accept to show I have assisted you. Thank you for using JustAnswer.com. Please come back next time for any other computer issue.

Thanks,
-Viet
Experience: Ten years of computer support. Microsoft MCP & CompTIA A+ certifications. Windows 8 7 Vista XP etc.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I was just writing you to see if you got paid. I hit accept and it froze for a second and went back to the questions. I'll try again.
It just went through. Thank you again for using JustAnswer.com.

Thanks,
-Viet