John, Computer Specialist
Experience:  MCP, RHCE
50152684

My Dell Laptop Inspiron 1564 shuts off for no reason when plugged

My Dell Laptop Inspiron 1564 shuts off for no reason when plugged in. If I remove the battery, the PC will re boot and remain functional. I have only had this PC for less than one year and I am thinking of just replacing it with another brand, it is that much of a nuisance.
Category: Computer
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.

cyball83 :

Hello my name is John

Welcome to just answer

Customer:

thanks

cyball83 :

I know its a nuisance when it come to such kind of troubles but i will try my best to help you

cyball83 :

please provide the service tag number of the Laptop

Customer:

thank you, XXXXX XXXXX on this computer for work and I cannot have it shut off when I am remoting into a customers pc

cyball83 :

Are you chatting from the same computer?

Customer:

yes 456kkl1

cyball83 :

Please bookmark/add to favorites this page so that you can connect back to this chat even if you get restarted

?

Customer:

ok done

cyball83 :

one moment please let me check the spec first

Customer:

I have purchased new batteries thinking that was the problem without much change.

Customer:

I am out of ideas other than to replace it

cyball83 :

OK i am checking the spec let me confirm the problem once again your laptop shut down when you plug the main power is that the problem

Customer:

yes

Customer:

there is no beep, no yellow light, nothing, just turns off

cyball83 :

did you purchase the battery or did dell replaced it for free?

Customer:

I purchased the battery

cyball83 :

from dell or from other shop?

Customer:

other shop

cyball83 :

the reason why i asked is because your laptop still have warranty so they will replace any parts for free

Customer:

ok

cyball83 :

When did this trouble started?

Customer:

actually about 4 months ago but it is getting worse

cyball83 :

you mean before getting worse you can connect it to power and use laptop

Customer:

yes

Customer:

it is very random. I cannot reproduce it

Customer:

is there any log that would record these shut downs?

cyball83 :

Are you sure it shut downs when its plugged in the main power

cyball83 :

is it now running in battery now ?

Customer:

yes running on battery now. and yes, it is always when I am plugged into main power. It will not restart as long as the battery is in, but if I remove the battery, it will restart

cyball83 :

you mean when the battery is in and the power is plugged in laptop shutdown automatically.so without battery you can plug in the power and use it without any problem

Customer:

yes

cyball83 :

do you have any other computer so that you can chat from that and do the steps i say at the same time

Customer:

Unfortunately, no I do not

Customer:

I am at a customer site.

cyball83 :

ok then please do the following

Shut down the laptop and disconnect the AC adapter. Remove the battery and press and hold the power button for about 30 seconds. Release the button and insert the battery back then plug the adaptor back and turn on the computer.Then check it and let me know

cyball83 :

you can come back to this chat using the favorites

cyball83 :

i will wait

Customer:

OK

cyball83 :

Let me know

Customer:

OK done. I guess I just need to see if this works? Since I can't seem to re produce it, I guess I just have to wait.

Customer:

can I re contact you if it fails again?

cyball83 :

before that did you plug the main power back

Customer:

yes

cyball83 :

is the battery in

Customer:

yes

cyball83 :

ok that means its working now

cyball83 :

so its a residual charge problem

Customer:

OK so if it happens again, I should be able to re do these steps and it should re boot?

cyball83 :

its occurs some times due to residual charge in the system components.yes

cyball83 :

have you recently updated the bios

Customer:

no

cyball83 :

one moment please let me check for the latest bios update

cyball83 :

do the know when you bought the computer(i mean the month and year)

Customer:

Feb like 18th, 2010

cyball83 :

so there is one latest bios available i will give the link for that if it happens again please update it.if that doesn't work then you have to give it to the dell service center they will replace the parts for free.is that ok

Customer:

yes that will be fine. Thank ou

Customer:

you

cyball83 :

ok one moment please

cyball83 :

i will give detailed instructions with the download link

cyball83 :

please click on this link http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&re leaseid=R278701&SystemID=inspiron1564&servicetag=456KKL1&os=W764&osl=en&deviceid=23161&devlib=0&typecnt=0&vercnt=2&catid=1&impid=-1&formatcnt=0&libid=1&typeid=-1&dateid=-1&formatid=-1&source=-1&fileid=411355
Now click on download in that page that will open another small window which says to select a method to download.select the second option (Download via your Internet Browser) download and save it.once its download completes please connect the main power and update the bios

cyball83 :

Also your warranty ends in 6/4/2011

cyball83 :

is there anything else you want to know?

cyball83 :

Did you check the link?

cyball83 :

please let me know

Customer:

I will have to check the link later. Thank you for your help.

cyball83 :

Everything seems to be working fine so please don’t forget to click ACCEPT & leave a POSITIVE Feedback and some Bonus will be well appreciated.

cyball83 :

use the favorites to check the link or open the link now and add to favorites so that you can check it later

cyball83 :

Please don’t forget to click ACCEPT & leave a POSITIVE Feedback and some Bonus will be well appreciated. That’s the only way i get paid for the services that I have provided to you

John, Computer Specialist
Experience: MCP, RHCE