Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO

How do I format my toshiba satellite without recovery disc

Customer Question

How do I format my toshiba satellite without recovery discs??
Category: Computer
Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer !! I am Andy and I will be glad to help you out with your issue today.

We need to perform system recovery on your computer. This will take it to its original factory settings. Recovery can be done in two ways as explained below.

1. To recover your hard disk drive follow these steps:

1. If the computer is running, shut it down -- by clicking Start, then Shut Down, then Shut Down again.

2. Press and hold the 0 (zero) key on your keyboard and then depress the computer's power switch. When the computer turns on, the Toshiba HDD Recovery Utility screen will appear, presenting three options:

View Full Image

Sample TOSHIBA HDD Recovery Utility screen

Restore Original Factory Image (Recommended)

CAUTION: Restoring a hard disk drive to its factory default state deletes all partitions on the hard disk drive and all data stored within them. All of your files and information will be lost. be sure to back up all important files first.

1. Press 1 to restore your hard disk drive to its original factory default state. A confirmation message will appear, indicating that all data will be overwritten and lost during the restore process. Be sure to back up all important files before proceeding.

2. Click Yes to begin the restoration. A message will appear once the operation is finished, indicating that the HDD has been restored.

3. Press any key to restart the computer.

2. If pressing 0 key does not initiate above recovery process, then your computer does not have the built in recovery. Then you have to use the Toshiba Recovery Disc that came with your computer.

If no Disc came with your computer you can order one by calling up Toshiba : 13 30 70
(if you are not in Australia please let me know)

Put the Recovery Disk into your drive and restart your computer. Restart computer and on startup screen it will mention a Key to enter setup. Press that key immediately to enter setup. Then you will find many tabs. Goto BOOT tab. Change the boot order to make the CD Drive as 1st device in Boot order list and do Save and Exit. Then restart computer making sure disc is already in CD Drive. This will load computer from recovery disc.

Feel free to ask any question or concern you may have. I will be glad to help you.

Please click "ACCEPT" so that I get paid.

(You need to click ACCEPT even if you are a SUBSCRIPTION or TRIAL member)

Positive Feedback and BONUS are always appreciated.