jucraig
jucraig, Information Systems Manager
Experience:  Network Design Analyst, Software and Hardware Technical support, and Pre-Sales Hardware /
27133108

How do I add a table to an email in Outlook 2010. I could do

How do I add a table to an email in Outlook 2010. I could do it in Outlook 2007 but in 2010, the button is greyed out and unavailable, even in "HTML format"
Category: Computer
Expert:  jucraig replied 3 years ago.

jucraig :

Good evening! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I would like to assist with your issue!

First question...Did you Install Outlook 2010 by itself, or as part of the Office 2010 suite?

Thanks,

Justin

Customer:

I orignally installed Office 2007 Student Edition (without Outlook) on my old PC and Outlook was already installed on it. When I changed laptops a month ago, I installed Office 2007 again but the old Outlook 2007 would no longer work. So I purchased Oulook 2010 direct from Microsoft and installed it. Everythinng else works fine and this is the first time that I have tried to add a table (something I was able to do without problem before). But on Outloook 2010, the "add table" function is greyed out. Outlook 2010 help tells me how to do it but their instructions do not work. I have checked the config settings but cannot see anything that changes the situation.

jucraig :

Good evening...

jucraig :

Take a look at the following link, which should explain your specific issue in detail:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/outlook/thread/23bce9c0-9c4b-4c6a-882c-7c579d104519/

jucraig :

At the bottom of this link, you'll see the following was the problem, which I'm sure is the same as your situation, based upon what you've told me...

"to summarize, the problem was having Office 2010 instilled via the Click to Run virtualization environment and Outlook 2010 installed as a stand-alone app. Outlook could not see and access the Office features to enable insert of tables/illustrations and to preview Office attachments. The solution was to uninstall ALL Office applications and install Office Home & Student as a regular MSI, not Click to Run. Then installing Outlook 2010 recognizes that Office is there

jucraig :

If this resolves your issue, please "accept".

jucraig :

Feedback is CERTAINLY welcomed and is GREATLY appreciated!

jucraig :

Thank you for the opportunity!

Justin

Customer:

No, that did not work. However, when installing Outlook 2010 in the same folder as Office 2007, I did get a message to tell me that the two programmes are incompatible because one is 32 bit and the other is 64 bit - this is something that Microfoft do not make clear when offering Outlook 2010 as an add-on.

jucraig :

Okay...so do you have access to the 64 or 32bit version of Outlook (whatever matches the version of Office 2007 that you have) 2010??

Thanks,

Justin

jucraig :

If so, uninstall and reinstall the correct version of Office 2010...if you DON'T have access to it, please let me know and I'll provide you with a link. Just curious, did Office 2010 come with a license key, or was one required when you installed?

Customer:

I don't really want to go to the expense of Office 2010 when I have a perfectly good copy of Office 2007. All other features of this are usable in Outlook 2010, including spell check, etc. It seems weird that only the insert table feature is unavailable. I'm not convinced that there is not a tweak of some kind because I can insert tables into Oultook 2010 on my other pc which does not even have Office of any kind. It works as standalone, why not when Office is installed?

jucraig :

Okay...just for my curiosity, can you create a table in Word / Excel, and then paste into Outlook 2010? Performing this function may provide insight into your actual problem...

Give that a try and let me know what happens!

Thanks,

Justin

jucraig :

I think THIS is your real issue....http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc179031(office.12).aspx

I think the fact that Outlook 2010 does not see a copy of Word 2010 is an issue, and is what is preventing you from inserting a table.

I understand your point regarding having Outlook 2010 installed on your other machine, but this document noted above would lead me to believe that NOT having Word 2010 installed is your actual issue. However, IT COULD be due to the fact that you have two different bit versions (32bit vs. 64bit) installed (Outlook 2010 being installed as one, Office 2007 being installed as the other). That is why I asked IF you have access to the appropriate bit version (whichever Office 2007 is installed as) of Outlook 2010 to match Office 2007. That might be something that you might try. Keep in mind that 32bit applications and 64bit applications get installed in TWO completely different folders (the 32bit apps get installed to the "Program Files x86" folder, whereas 64bit apps get installed into the "Program Files" directory).

jucraig :

Here are my recommendations:

1. Uninstall Outlook 2010 (which I assume is installed as 64-bit), and reinstall as 32bit. This MAY allow Office 2010 to utilize functionality provided by Word 2007, which I assume is installed as 32bit also. If that does not resolve your issue....

2. Uninstall Office 2007, Uninstall Outlook 2010, Reinstall Outlook 2010 (32-bit) and then see if the add table functionality works inside of Outlook 2010 without Office 2007 installed (of course don't uninstall Office 2007 if you don't have the disc to reinstall it). If it doesn't, then reinstall Office 2007 again (32-bit), and then try the add table functionality again inside of Outlook 2010....If that doesn't work.....

3. Consider purchase of Word 2010 by itself to be installed alongside Outlook 2010. While it won't be significantly cheaper than buying Office, it may be at least LESS expensive.

The following link would lead me to believe that Word 2010 must be installed to enable the following functionality:

http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/outlook2010upgrade.htm

Outlook 2010 standalone installations

Outlook 2010 can be installed without needing to upgrade all the other Office applications. However,not all features might be available to you. Similar to Outlook 2007, the following features require you to install Word 2010 as well;

• Autoformat

• AutoText

• Background spelling

• Synonym lookup

• On-Object UI (including Smart Paste)

• Data binding and placeholders

• Grammar checker

• Smart tags

• Tables formatting

• Various "Save As" formats specific to Word

• Go To tab of the Find/Replace feature

• Citation and bibliography

• Header and footer

• Review and comments

• Captions (for tables and images)

• WordArt

• Insert Screen Clipping/Screenshot

• Access to the Word Object Model (for macro usage for example)

Outlook Standalone version and Themes

Similar to Office 2007, the Themes feature requires Outlook to be installed as part of a suite. A combination of Office 2010 Home & Student with a standalone installation of Outlook 2010 will not enable this feature.

jucraig :

I hope that one of the recommendations noted above will lead you to a sufficient resolution. If you are satisified with my answer, please "accept" this as the answer. Feedback is CERTAINLY welcomed and is GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks,

Justin

jucraig :

If after trying the resolutions above you STILL have issues, please let me know and I'll continue to keep digging for you! ;-)

jucraig, Information Systems Manager
Experience: Network Design Analyst, Software and Hardware Technical support, and Pre-Sales Hardware /