Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Worked With The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

my toshiba satellite a100-522 laptop says operating system

my toshiba satellite a100-522 laptop says operating system not found when strarting up tryed toshiba product recovery disk but that tells me error createfile \\.\physicaldriveo the system cannot find the file specified when i click ok it then tells me hard disk #0 is not accessible or bad raid configuration
Category: Computer
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer.com

My name isXXXXX am one of the experts who will assist you today!

Looks like your bios may have been changed, altered..

Lets try this as an exploratory first step..

Shut the computer down.. Start it..

Immediately start tapping F2.. does this bring up and old fashioned looking settings menu?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes with menu bar on saying main advanced security boot exit

Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
Ok.. where it says boot.. go there.. and then tell me whats listed for the boot order in the order it appears..
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hard drive

removable devices

cd-rom drive

realtek boot agent

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hard drive

removable devices

cd-rom drive

realtek boot agent

this is how it looks on screen

Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
Apologies for the delay, just seen your message..

ok.. either on main, or advanced..

There will be a selection entitled, sata, autodetect.. in reference to the hard drive.. do you see anything like that? if so, what setting is it on?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the only thing like that is in main and says

hard disk drive [ none]

Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
Ok .. thats the issue then..

Was this toshiba dropped, or banged up at all ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
not that i know of
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
Hmm.. It appears as if the hard drive has died.. Lets try one more thing, and if this doesnt work, then..

I will help you locate a replacement hard drive for the machine.

Shut the toshiba down.. With it powered off, press and hold zero.. dont let go

now press power normally, while still holding the zero key..

It should start beeping and making noise.. Hopefully, it will say loading files..

Let me know what happens.. and we will go from there.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi its just beeping with the in touch with tomorrow toshiba logo.

and the blue bar at bottom just stays at half way

when i let go of the 0 a black screen comes up saying in this order

intel undi, pxe-2.1 (build 082)

copyright (c)1997-2000 intel corportion

for realtek rtl8139(x)/8130/810x pci fast ethernet controller v2.17 (051202)

pxe-e61:media test failure,check cable

pxe-mof:exiting pxe rom.

operating system not found

ps i do not use ethernet lead

Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
Ok.. thank you.

In this picture.. on the bottom left.. it shows the hard drive.. I want you to power off the laptop.. remove the battery too.

Then turn it over. and open the cover containing the hard drive..

slide the hard drive out.. then.. slide it back in,, and try to start the computer..

Same pxe media test failure error ?

( heres the picture)

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j267/frozenlead/IMG_4920.jpg
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
hi done all running fine, thank you any idea what it was??
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
The hard drive was probably just loose.. If it comes loose again, and that error comes back..

I want you to reopen the hard drive plate on the bottom.. and then on the side where it would slide out of..

I want you to put a pencil eraser.. or some rolled up tape. Something small..

The idea here is.. We want to put something in there to wedge the hard drive firmly in place so it wont wiggle loose..

When the connections get old, sometimes it can slide out a millimeter.. And that millimeter can be the difference between a well working machine, and a machine that looks like its toasted..

If you have any further questions.. Let me know..

Please click accept to show I have assisted you.

If you still need assistance, You can reply to this message at any time.

Thanks!
Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Worked With The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller