Frederick S., Computer Specialist
Experience:  Computer technician and founder of a home PC repair company.
33925084

Subject Your Email Addres has been infected a with Trojan

Subject: Your Email Addres has been infected a with Trojan virus!
I recieved a new security Message Alert!

Log in into your account by clicking UPDATE and resolve the problem
Category: Computer
Expert:  Frederick S. replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you with this and providing you with the information you need. Please do NOT respond to any e-mail that tells you that you need to update information. If you have already responded, please change your password XXXXX away. Always delete future e-mails asking you to update information. Companies will never need you to update such private information and they will NEVER ask for your password/DOB/mother's maiden name, etc. Hope this helps; thanks.
Frederick S., Computer Specialist
Experience: Computer technician and founder of a home PC repair company.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I did what the 'man' said, update. And you are tellling me never to do that, ok! So I have also changed my password XXXXX I have updated, but I am still using my user name.. I do not know if the trojan 'horse' died or not. I need to run a complete virus check again to see if the same message comes up. I will try to get that dones today or tonight and respond to you again tomorrow, OK!

OK; sounds good. Let me know how it goes; thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The virus alert continued to show itself, saying I had a Trojan virus in my e-mail users name. This continued to appear on my home computer for several days. I was getting a new computer at my work and this immediately showed up there. A friend stopped by and looked at the alert. He entered something and a large red and black response showed up saying DON'T GO THERE and some other stuff, He said it did not come from AOL staff and deleted it. It has not reappeared at work or here at my home computer. I can not explain to you what all happened, sorry, I am not that conversant with all that goes on. Something about it coming in from being on line.

I am sorry I was unable to adequately describe the situation for you. And I think you would have to agree that you did not solve the problem as my friend did, probably because you did not see what he saw. Thank you Frederick for trying!

Thanks for the update.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My friend deleted the email saying my user name had a trojan virus. He said it did not come from any aol source but from some place on line. After he did that it no longer appear on my Norton search for viruses. So I believe he cleared it up, on my new computer at work and on the one at home. AOL never responded. I believe what you said was also true - don't update, but that did not take it away. I, perhaps, was unable to verbalize what you needed to resolve the problem but when my friend saw it on the screen he immediately disposed of it. I do not bellieve I can say you cleared it up as he did - I suppose I did not converse with you long enough??? Do you think you solved the problem?????

It is completely up to you if you wish to compensate me for my time. Thank you for your question.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I think that maybe, perhaps, I did not enter this 'JustAnswer' with the same assumptions that you had. My computer no longer has that message showing. So if you feel your time was worth $30 then do ahead and take it. Good bye!!!

That is again up to you. I don't get paid unless you click Accept. Thanks again.