David L
David L, Systems Engineer
Experience:  Microsoft & Cisco Certified with over 20 years experience

I am the current owner of a Dell Dimension 4700 with Windows

Customer Question

I am the current owner of a Dell Dimension 4700 with Windows XP OS. I was having trouble with IE7 hanging so I looked up how to remove IE7 and found that if Windows SP3 is installed after IE7 then you need to remove SP3 first then remove IE7 then reinstall SP3. I followed the first step and then I ran into trouble. My computer wanted to restart to complete the uninstall so I allowed it to do that. Now I cannot get on the internet at all and when I try to use a fix for network connections, it came back saying my wired connection is damage and I still havent uninstalled IE7 or reinstalled SP3. Can you help me fix this or do I need somone with more knowledge than I to fix it?
Category: Computer
Expert:  David L replied 3 years ago.

David L :

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is David.

JACUSTOMER-tht37woi- :

Hi I am Cheryl

David L :

Uninstalling SP3 can be a difficult process and complex so if you are having trouble with IE I would recommend reinstalling SP3 to resolve the current issues.

David L :

Then reset IE by clicking the Tools menu then Internet Options then the Advanced tab then reset.

JACUSTOMER-tht37woi- :

but I cannot connect to the internet to do that

David L :

Then click reset again to confirm and then restart IE and it will reset to default settings.

David L :

Oh ok.

JACUSTOMER-tht37woi- :

there is a totally different IP address on the wired connection

David L :

So do you have another browser on the computer that you can use?

JACUSTOMER-tht37woi- :

I have not tried removing the ethernet cord yet and dont know if that will help but I messed something up

JACUSTOMER-tht37woi- :

yes I can use Google Chrome or Firefox

David L :

Try this. Click Start, then Run then type CMD on the command line and press Enter. On the command line type 'netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt' without the quotes and press Enter then reboot.

David L :

Then after the reboot try connecting with Firefox or Chrome

JACUSTOMER-tht37woi- :

ok just a sec while i get that done and see what happens

David L :

Ok. Note that you will have to reboot in order for the command to take effect.

David L :

If the issue still occurs after doing the "netsh" command so that you cannot access the Internet click Start, right click My Computer, click Manage then Device Manager then find the network adapter you are using in the list of devices on the right pane and then right click on the adapter and click Uninstall and then reboot and let Windows reinstall the driver.

JACUSTOMER-tht37woi- :

says netsch is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable programs or batch file

David L :

Ok. So use "netsh" rather than "netsch"

David L :

and then it should work.

JACUSTOMER-tht37woi- :

i am waiting now for it to reboot

David L :

ok

JACUSTOMER-tht37woi- :

when i hit enter nothing really happened just went to next line so i set it to restart

JACUSTOMER-tht37woi- :

right??

David L :

Yes, that would be correct.

David L :

What the command does is reset the TCP/IP software in Windows, also called the TCP/IP stack which should resolve the issue if the problem is specific to TCP/IP

JACUSTOMER-tht37woi- :

now it is not shutting down for me and i dont know why that is since it always did b4

JACUSTOMER-tht37woi- :

i think i see the problem spyware terminator is running a scan it is closing it out now

David L :

If there is a message on the screen stating that it is saving settings give it a little more time

David L :

oh ok

JACUSTOMER-tht37woi- :

so basically should i just stop using IE7 since it hangs

JACUSTOMER-tht37woi- :

i cant remove and reinstall it since SP3 was installed after IE was installed and it hangs everytime i try to use it

David L :

No, try the reset procedure above because that should resolve the IE7 issue

David L :

It will reset IE back to default settings

JACUSTOMER-tht37woi- :

ohhhhh ok it is still working on shutting down so i will wait for it

JACUSTOMER-tht37woi- :

but i have to say i am not a patient person hehehehehehe

JACUSTOMER-tht37woi- :

to bad i didnt come to you first when all this started dang i know better now

David L :

Yeah sometimes it takes a bit longer for the computer to shut down depending upon what it is doing at them time

JACUSTOMER-tht37woi- :

it is now restarting

David L :

Ok good.

JACUSTOMER-tht37woi- :

that will reset the internt connection driver??

David L :

Just the TCP/IP software

David L :

The second procedure above will reinstall the network adapter driver

JACUSTOMER-tht37woi- :

ok it will be just a bit now b4 i can see if it helped

David L :

Ok

JACUSTOMER-tht37woi- :

ohhhh ok so if the ip addy is still wrong i need to uninstall the network driver?? and let windows reinstall it??

David L :

Well the IP address may be different and the computer still able to access the Internet

David L :

So test by trying to connect to a web site with Firefox or Chrome

JACUSTOMER-tht37woi- :

ok

David L :

and if that does not work then reinstall the network driver

JACUSTOMER-tht37woi- :

ok got it

JACUSTOMER-tht37woi- :

it is taking longer than usual for the connection to come up so i take it the puter is still executing the command i did??

David L :

The command is completed however yes, it is applying the new settings.

JACUSTOMER-tht37woi- :

does it normally take this long?

David L :

It should not take this long to start. What does it display on the screen?

JACUSTOMER-tht37woi- :

everything is on the scree but my verizon internet security suite icon and on the task bar it has the viss,spyware terminator, spyware terminator update, norton 360 which i need to remove it just epired, snoop privacy, shield, and volume control

David L :

Ok so if the Verizon Internet Security suite icon is missing click Start, All Programs and then the Verizon software should be in the list of programs.

JACUSTOMER-tht37woi- :

generic host process for Win32 Services encountered a problem and needs to close.

JACUSTOMER-tht37woi- :

do i send or not??

JACUSTOMER-tht37woi- :

and my task bar changed from blue to gray

JACUSTOMER-tht37woi- :

from rounded to square

David L :

That sounds like issues due to uninstalling SP3. No need to click the Send button.

JACUSTOMER-tht37woi- :

oh no i really did it this time didnt i

David L :

The blue to gray task bar sounds like the video driver may need to be adjusted.

JACUSTOMER-tht37woi- :

ok

David L :

The square start button is a standard Windows setting that can also be changed.

David L :

So all of that is fixable.

JACUSTOMER-tht37woi- :

ok

David L :

For now just try getting on the Internet

David L :

and then reinstall SP3 which should resolve those issues

David L :

and then reset IE 7 to fix IE 7

David L :

So if it has finished booting try accessing the Internet with one of the browsers

JACUSTOMER-tht37woi- :

i am trying to open firefox however i also tried to open start menu and it did nothing

David L :

Press CTRL, ALT and DEL at the same time

David L :

and then click Task Manager

JACUSTOMER-tht37woi- :

brought up the processes

David L :

and then click File, New Task

David L :

and type 'iexplore -extoff' and press the Enter key

JACUSTOMER-tht37woi- :

ok

David L :

Let me know if Internet Explorer appears

JACUSTOMER-tht37woi- :

so far no neither has appeared

David L :

Ok then it sounds like it could be shutting down because that is another reason why the task bar would turn gray

David L :

So task manage did not appear?

JACUSTOMER-tht37woi- :

yes the task manager did appear but ie and firefox has not appeared

David L :

Ok then click File then New Task and type Firefox.exe in the New Task box.

David L :

and press the Enter key.

JACUSTOMER-tht37woi- :

does it matter if i am in applications or processes

David L :

No because the New Task menu is a separate item

JACUSTOMER-tht37woi- :

ok but it still is not appearing

JACUSTOMER-tht37woi- :

firefox that is

David L :

Ok then next type CMD in the New Task window and press the Enter key

David L :

if is appears type 'ping www.google.com' and press the Enter key.

JACUSTOMER-tht37woi- :

that opened

David L :

and let me know if you receive four replies

JACUSTOMER-tht37woi- :

ping request could not find host www.google.com. Please check the gain.

David L :

Ok then type 'ipconfig /all' and let me know if the network adapter has an IP address, subnet mask and gateway listed

JACUSTOMER-tht37woi- :

autoconfigure ip address: 169.254.197.237 subnet mask 255.255.0.0 default gateway: empty

David L :

Ok so the computer is not yet able to connect to the router and get an IP address. The computer is connected to the router using a network cable correct?

JACUSTOMER-tht37woi- :

the ip address on all the other computers is 192.168.1.1

David L :

Ok then that IP address range would come from a router such as a Linksys router

JACUSTOMER-tht37woi- :

i have it plugged into my modem/router thru ethernet cord

David L :

Ok

David L :

Then next run the netsh command again and reboot. Since it sounds like the uninstall of SP3 was not complete before the reboot

JACUSTOMER-tht37woi- :

the modem/router was supplied to me by verizon

David L :

the SP3 uninstall may have impacted the netsh command

David L :

Also, I have to step away from the computer for about 15 minutes

David L :

so will do that while you reboot the computer

JACUSTOMER-tht37woi- :

ok i can do that and np

JACUSTOMER-tht37woi- :

gives me time to do all this

David L :

Ok then I will be back in about 15 minutes

David L :

I will switch this chat session to what is called a Q & A format temporarily and back to chat when I come back.

Expert:  David L replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

now my local are connection status says limited or no connectivity. then it goes on to say you might not be able to access the internet or some network resources. this problem occurred because the network did not assign a network address to the computer. i have options of looking at the details or repair or close. i will await for you to return to see what i do next. thanxx!!!

Expert:  David L replied 3 years ago.
Ok then press CTRL, ALT, DEL and open Task Manager. Click File then New Task and type CMD in the New Task box and press Enter. Then on the command line type 'ipconfig /release' and press the Enter key. Then type "ipconfig /renew" and press the Enter key and then type "ping www.google.com" and press the Enter key and let me know if you get four responses.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i did the release and got all 0's for the IP address and subnet mask and when i did the renew it went to the next line but not allowing me to ping it did not give me a connection-specific DNS suffix and is just blinking at me. Do i need to reopen the cmd window to ping??
Expert:  David L replied 3 years ago.
Ok then before trying ping again type 'ipconfig /release' and press Enter then type 'ipconfig /renew' and press Enter and then type 'ipconfig /all' and let me know the IP address, subnet mask and gateway.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
oh boy this is really getting involved ok here is what i did. Because it had that error on renew, I typed in ipconfig/all and got autoconfiguration IP address 169.254.197.237. Subnet Mask 255.255.0.0 Default Gateway (empty) so I tried to start from the beginning and typed ipconfig/release and got Windows IP Configuration An error occured while releasing interface Local Area Connection : the RPC server is unavailable.
Expert:  David L replied 3 years ago.
Ok so on the command line type 'service.msc' and press the Enter key. Then when the services window appears find the DHCP Client and DHCP Turbo services in the list. Click on the DHCP Turbo and click the Restart link and click Ok if an error appears. Then click the DHCP client and click the restart link and then try ipconfig /release then ipconfig /renew again.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
'service.msc' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.
Expert:  David L replied 3 years ago.
Hello - I apologize for the delay. On the command line type 'net stop dhcp' and press Enter. Then type 'net start dhcp' and press Enter. Then type 'ipconfig /all' and let me know the IP address, subnet mask and gateway IP address.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Upon doing - net stop dhcp - I got The DHCP Client service is not started. More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 3521. So then I typed in - net start dhcp - and got the following response The DHCP Client service is starting. The DHCP Client service was started successfully. I am thinking YAY but when i type - ipconfig/all - the Autoconfiguration IP Address : 169.254.197.237 Subnet Mask : 255.255.0.0 Default Gateway : (empty)

Does the Remote Procedure C........ (RPC) hane anything to do with this? Everytime I close the cmd window, it does not close all the way and remains on the task bar. When that happens, I need to restart my computer thru the task manager. The RPC server was unavailable when I tried to release the ipconfig the second time after I got the error message when I tried to renew the ipconfig. What do I try next please?? I hope I havent confused you and have included all the info you need to proceed! Thanx!!

Expert:  David L replied 3 years ago.
Ok so there are several services that are dependent upon the RPC service and the RPC service may not be fully functional because of the SP3 uninstall so we can try and work around it.

Next do the ipconfig /release and then ipconfig /renew now that the dhcp client service is running and then type ipconfig /all and let me know if the computer has a 192.168.1.? IP address.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I also keep getting the Generic Host Process Error that closes. It seems it happens every time I restart my computer though it does not shut down the computer. Not sure what to make of that??

I got the RPC error when I tried to do the release so I will restart the computer to enable everything again and start from the top with the dhcp start then the release and renew and i will let you know what IP Address I get after all that but it will take a bit to get it done.

Expert:  David L replied 3 years ago.
Ok then just let me know what happens when you try it after the reboot.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

GRRRRR!! Here is a log of what happened in cmd window

-net stop dhcp-

The DHCP CClient service is stopping.........................

The DCHP Client service was stopped successfully.

-net start dhcp-

The DHCP Client service is starting.

The DHCP Client service was started successfully.

-ipconfig/release-

Windows IP Configuration

An error occred while releasing interface Local Area Connection: The remote procedure call failed.

-ipconfig/renew-

Windows IP Configuration

An error occured while renewing the interface Local Area Connection: The RPC server was unavailable.

Then the computer shut down by itself thru the RPC. I will try it again just to see if the same thing happens because I did not wait when the restart started. I went straight to command window and started working. Now I will wait until all process have loaded and try those steps again and let you know what happens.

Expert:  David L replied 3 years ago.
Ok then I will standby while you reboot he computer again.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok this time I was able to get all the way through to the ipconfig/renew at which time I got an error

An error occured while renewing interface Local Area Connection : the parameter is incorrect.

Of course doing the ipconfig/all brings up the same IP Address same Subnet Mask and an empty Gateway Default

What do we do now??

Expert:  David L replied 3 years ago.
Next reinstall the network adapter driver following the procedure below:

Click Start, right click My Computer, click Manage then Device Manager then find the network adapter you are using in the list of devices on the right pane and then right click on the adapter and click Uninstall and then reboot and let Windows reinstall the driver.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
You do realize that the IP Address is thre 169and not the 192?? and so far nothing has changed in the configuration which is giving me limited or no connectivity?? However, I tried to us ipconfig/fix and got a list of things to do and i think I see why the parameter is incorrect. I need to restart my computer again because the RPC server is unavailable and nothing on the desktop is working without that. I will try to release and renew with the way they had it listed as ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew. I can uninstall the driver but if it is going back to the corrupt IP Address wouldnt that defeat the driver all together?
Expert:  David L replied 3 years ago.
The idea behind updating the driver is that the driver was running under an SP3 environment and is now running under an SP2 environment so may be dependent upon files that are no longer SP3 version or that are not there. So reinstalling the driver would resolve issues with SP3 dependencies (if such issues exist) so that the driver starts working.

I agree that the RPC server is a major part of the problem however, if you are able to get online, installing SP3 should resolve that issue.

If you have an XP install disc you may be able to resolve the issues using other methods. Do you have an XP install disc?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I wished I had the XP installer disc, things would be so much easier but as I don't I will continue with uninstalling the network driver to see if that helps.

While I was waiting for the computer to finish the release process, my husband came home and I began helping him put away the groceries. When I came back to my computer, it was in the process of rebooting and after it restarted I got a different error message. The spywareterminatorupdate shows Access violation at address 755D6A80 in module 'msctfime.ime.' Write of address 71AA0188. - I dont know if this has anything to do with anything we are working on but since I have no idea what happened while I was away from the computer, would it be worth the time to redo the release and renew??

Otherwise, I will just continue with the driver uninstall and see where that gets me. I await your answer.

Expert:  David L replied 3 years ago.
The error is most likely due to a dependency that the spyware software has on files that are not there or links that are broken. It is Ok to ignore it for now.

So go head and uninstall/reinstall the driver and let me know if you then have network and Internet access.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Since things so far have not worked to get me on the internet and it takes forever to reboot the computer after the RPC server is unavailable, should I or can I download the SP3 files to a flash drive and then install it to my computer from the flash drive? and the computer I am using now has Vista OS so should I use our other computer that has Windows XP on it to do? Is this even a viable solution?
Expert:  David L replied 3 years ago.
Yes that will work however you need to use a specific download file. Go to the link below to download SP3 as a single file then place on a USB key and move to the XP computer and double click on the file to install SP3:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=5b33b5a8-5e76-401f-be08-1e1555d4f3d4&displaylang=en
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Now it wont make a difference if I download the file to Vista OS and then move to flash drive? It is not letting me download it directly to the flash drive. It will also take over an hour to download then I will have to move the file and then install it so it will be quite awhile b4 I know if it works or not. Basically, I want to make sure downloading it to a Vista OS and then moving the file to Windows XP OS wont be a problelm.

Also I tried to get to the Device Manager thru My Computer and all I get is a flashlight until the error message comes up about the Generic Host Process for Win32 Service after I close that out the I get a message the computer will shut down in 1 min authorized but NT AUTHORITY/SERVICE. I am rebooting once again to see if I can get to the Device Manager thru the Help and Support Page since that was the only other thing I could think of to get there. Should I even worry bout doing that if I am going to reinstall the SP3 pack??

Anything else will need to wait until the download transfer and upload are completed.

Expert:  David L replied 3 years ago.
Downloading the SP3 file using Vista is ok and is not an issue. You should save the file to your hard drive first because saving to USB would be slower anyway.

Although it may help to know whether or not the network adapter driver uninstall/reinstall will solve the network connectivity issues it would be better to hold off on doing that for now until after SP3 is installed.

Let me know if you run into any issues installing SP3.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
One last question before I quit for the night. Should I leave this open so I can answer you directly? I have not used this service before and would really like to connect with you instead of someone else should I run into any more problems. Thanx truly for all the help you have given so far and I will continue working to install SP3 and check for connectivity and other program problems. It has been a very long day for me and you really need to know I so very very much appreciate your patience with this problem. So let me know if I should just leave this open for now until I get the SP3 done. Thanx again!!!!
Expert:  David L replied 3 years ago.
Yes definitely leave the question open and we can pick it up again after the download has completed and the install has started.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I was able to get it to run but now it is stuck on Checking product key. It has been on that for over 2 hours and I know that isnt right. What can I do to get it started again.

I has some trouble with the RPC server last night but so far this is what I am having trouble with. Any suggestions?? And no I havent even tried to get on the internet today. I was just trying to get that SP3 pack installed.

Expert:  David L replied 3 years ago.
Since it has been checking the product key for that long click the Cancel button that should be on the install window and then start the installation again.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I did close the upload and it disappeared off the task bar but the window is still open. I tried to restart the upload but after it was done extracting the files, a Setup Error occured saying Setup has detected that another update is in progress, Please complete that installation or removal and try again, I also opened up Task; Manager to get to my f drive and that is also still on the desktop even though I closed it out. Same with the extracting files and Setup Error boxes. It looks like those are still running even though they have been closed out?? Should I redownload the SP3 pack, restart my computer and try the whole process again?? Where do I go from here?

Expert:  David L replied 3 years ago.
In Task Manager click on the application tab, right click on each open application and click End Task and that should close them. Then start installing SP3 again.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That's the problem though. There is nothing under task everything is hanging up on the desktop. I can see them but you can't do anything with them. Since they were already closed, you can't close them again. They are visible on the desktop and it appears they are still running some place since SP3 pack won't begin installation as it is detecting one already running. There is nothing I can do but open the start menu and restart computer or turn it off. So now what do you recommend.

Expert:  David L replied 3 years ago.
I sounds like the main process for each is close but there are some threads of the process still running. So reboot and then try the install again.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I know you havent heard from me for awhile but I have been having major problems. I think I totally messed up something cuz now it wont even boot to the desktop. I am getting a blue screen with an error message stating windows is not being started as it is detecting a problem and I should uninstall any new hardware or software I may have installed. I took off the flash drive but I cant get into to take of the Windows SP3 files I transferred from the flash drive to the desktop. When I try to start it in safe mode, I am getting multi disk and I know that isnt right but I am not sure how to get rid of that. The blue screen told me to go into BIOS and disable the cache and shadowing but hehehehehe I dont know how to do that but I did find a Load Defaults which resets every option back to the way it was when the system left the factory.

I really dont know what to do now and I am sure it all came about because I shut the computer down after it was on Windows is shutting down for over 4 hours.

I can send you the blue screen stop codes if you need that. If we can eliminate the multi disk items that come up in the safe mode, I think it will then load and not go back to the blue screen. Beyond that, I am all for restoring defaults when it left the factory.

I await to hear from you and will leave this open.

Expert:  David L replied 3 years ago.

Try booting into Safe Mode with Command Prompt and if that works then on the command prompt type

rstrui.exe

and press the Enter key. Then if System Restore appears click Next and then click on a restore point that is prior to when the issue first occurred and then click Next and confirm the restore. After the restore is applied it will reboot then click the Close button if the reboot is successful.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It didnt work. It went right back to the blue screen. Here is what it says:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

If this is the first time you've seen this Stope error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x000000ED (0x8A98D8F8, 0xC000007F, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

As I have said before, I have tried going into the safe mode, I have tried going to the Last Known Good Configuration, I have gone into Setup where I was going to disable the caching and shadowing but I didnt find it, and I am not beyond resetting to factory defaults. I am still getting the multi (0) disk(0)rdisk(0)partions(2)\WINDOWS\System32........before all the listed items and then it reverts back to the blue Stop error screen. The only new hardware installed was the flash drive which I removed and the only new software I installed was the SP3 pack which I cant remove because I cant get to the desktop before the blue Stop error screen returns. It looks like the only way to possibly get to the desktop is to disable the caching and shadowing and I am not sure that will work at this point either. Any other suggestions??

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am getting close to pulling out my hair. I know some of this is my fault by not letting it finish whatever it was to finish but 4 hours of Windows is shutting down is not right!!!! I did not add any software to this computer that cannot be reinstalled which is why I am so willing to restore factory defaults. Well let me know what our next step is and we shall see what if anything works.

Expert:  David L replied 3 years ago.
The blue screen most likely has to do with SP3 and only some of the SP3 files being installed and probably was not caused by shutting down the computer. Even though I believe that this can be fixed, it may not be worth the time if there is nothing on the computer (files) that are not replaceable. Resetting to factory default will wipe everything that is currently on the computer and replace it with the factory default Windows XP and software which may be the quickest way for you to get the computer running again. There a few ways to wipe the computer and return it to factory default. Reboot the computer and access the F8 menu again and select Repair Your Computer and press Enter. Then when the computer reboots select your language in the drop down box and click next, then login using the administrator password XXXXX click OK, then select Dell Factory Image Restore and click Next. Select Yes when asked to format and return the computer back to factory defaults and click Next and then the restore will start.

However, if you do have files on the computer you wish to keep let me know before performing the restore.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There is nothing on the computer that I can not replace but I am not the first person to own this computer so if there is an Adminstrator Password, I dont have it. I have been able to change the accounts around without a password XXXXX I never have looked to see if there was a password XXXXX with this account. When I have pressed F8 before, I did not see an option to repair computer. I found Load Defaults in the Setup Menu under F2, but still not being the first to own this computer, I dont know if it has a password. What do I do now?? Sorry it took me so long to get back to you, I ran into other problems with my account on here. Isnt life wonderful? Full of stumbling blocks and then there is sunshine. Hehehehehehe I await your instructions.

Expert:  David L replied 3 years ago.
Ok then next reboot and if there is a meesage stating to press F12 then press the F12 key and follow the prompts to reset the system to factory defaults.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That didnt work eitherCry Here is the screen I got:

Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A09

Copyright 1985-1988 Phoenix Technologies Ltd

Copyright 1990-2004 Dell Inc.

All Right Reserved

Dell Sysytem Dimension 4700 Series

BIOS version A09

www.dell.com

Floppy diskette seek failure

Performing automatic IDE configuration...

Drive 0: Disk Drive

Drive 2: CD-ROM Device

Drive 3: CD-ROM Device

Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility

Ok so far so good so I press F1 to continue since I dont need to go back into the Setup again and what do I see but

We apologize for the inconvenience blah blah blah and the options to open in Safe Mode, Safe Mode with networking, Safe Mode with Command Prompt and Last Know Good Configuration all of which send me right back to the blue Stop Error screen.

So what steps do I take now? I cant seem to get anything but the blue error screen so I am not sure what to do now. F2 is Setup and F12 is Boot Menu. When I tried to get into Advanced Options I got Keyboard Failure. So it is still looking for floppy diskettes I guess. Ok I await your next set of instructions.

Expert:  David L replied 3 years ago.
This computer may have come with the recovery disk rather than partition. Do you have the discs that came with the computer?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
<p>No I did not receive any disks with this computer. In fact, I didnt get the speakers either and had to scavange from my Sony for those. I know it is way to late to make any disks for the Dell and believe me I am making disks for both Laptops before something happens with them. So now what do I do?</p><p> Would it be beneficial for me to buy this product and if so which one?? I got this off the internet while researching Windows XP Home Media Edition Utility Disks. Here is the website I came across:  </p><p><a href="http://www.windowsrecoverys.com/lp_1.html?gclid=CNiKt5-4hqcCFQkPbAodKhh2gQ">http://www.windowsrecoverys.com/lp_1.html?gclid=CNiKt5-4hqcCFQkPbAodKhh2gQ</a></p><p> I am disabled and dont have money to throw away but if this will solve my problem and get my windows restored and internet connected, I will do it.  I really dont know which direction to go but I do know I do not have $150+ for the guy in town to fiddle with it. I have never gotten out of his shop below $300. Please let me know what I steps I should take to get my poor computer back to some operating status. Thanx!!!</p>
Expert:  David L replied 3 years ago.

Ok so next I need to know under what menu was the Load Defaults option? Was it under the F8 menu?

Expert:  David L replied 3 years ago.

Also, download the file at the link below:

click here

and then burn the file to a CD using the "burn image to disc" feature of your CD burning software.

Then place the CD into the CD drive on the computer having trouble and boot the computer. The computer should boot from the CD and then press a key on the keyboard when prompted and it will look like it is going to install Windows. At the first "Welcome" screen press the R key to get into the Recovery Console and then type in the Administrator password XXXXX prompted. Then on the command line type

fixboot

and press the Enter key then type

fixmbr

and press the Enter key. And then reboot the computer (remove the CD) and let me know if it boots into Windows.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The Load Defaults is in the F2 Setup Menu. That is also where I can change the boot sequence and the Admin Password, perform some maintenance and do SERR something or other plus other things. It is a regular Setup Menu as far as I can tell. Now there is a Debugging option under F8 and I did try that but still got the multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0).... and then it would go to the blue Stop Error screen. Now will this program I am downloading get me back to at least the blue Stop Error screen and out of the Load Defaults session? Since I dont have the disks, that will never work and I do need to close that session.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So far I am not having any luck getting that disk I made to do what it is supposed to do. When I reboot the computer, the Dell screen loads and I press R but it goes into the floppy diskette seek failure screen. I can press F2 to get into Setup Menu and F8 to get to the Windows Advanced Options Menu and I presume I can press F12 to enter the Boot Menu.

If I press F1 to continue from the failure screen it will go to partial Advanced
Options Menu with only Safe Mode, SM w/networking, SM w/command prompt or Start
Windows Normally.

In the Advanced Options Menu there is: Safe Mode, SM w/networking, SM w/Command Prompt, Enable Boot Logging, Enable VGA Mode, Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked), Directory Services Restore Mode (Windows domain controllers only), Debugging Mode, Disable automatic restart on system failure, Start Windows Normally, Reboot, Return to OS Choices Menu.

Outside of the Safe Modes and Last Known options, I tried the Debugging Mode and they all went back to blue Stop error screen.

Should I try hitting F1, let the partial Advanced Options load, hit Safe Mode and enter then once it starts then hit the R key?

I have tried both disk drives and it looks like it is trying to run on the top drive but the Load Defaults screen takes over. I can get back to the blue error screen by going thru the safe mode and letting all the multi disk thingys load then the blue screen will come up. I sure hope I am not confusing you. I feel confused for sure. I await your response.

Expert:  David L replied 3 years ago.
Ok so the multi, etc. that is displayed in Safe Mode is normal for Safe Mode when it is loading. Unfortunately it ends in a blue screen at this point.

Regarding the disc, boot the computer and press the F2 or F12 key to select to boot from the CD. Then place the CD in the CD drive and select to boot from the CD then you should be prompted by a message on the screen asking you to press a key to boot from the CD. Once the CD boots you can follow the rest of the instructions above.

If the CD does not boot, place the CD in a working PC and view the contents of the CD. If there is only one file named rc.iso, then the file was not burned as an image to the CD. If that happens let me know and I will provide more detailed instructions on how to burn the rc.iso file to a CD.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
<p>Yikes!! Now I am on unfamiliar ground. I went to the Boot Menu and I have the following options to choose from:</p><p>*Onboard SATA Hard Drive</p><p>*Onboard or USB CD-ROM Drive - this is the one I would choose but I need you to</p><p>say this is the right one.</p><p> </p><p>*System Setup</p><p>*Hard Drive Diagnostics</p><p>*Boot to Utility Patition</p><p> </p><p>Am I right in which I chose?</p><p>I will be heading to bed in the next 15-20 mins so if I dont hear from you before then, I will answer in the morning.  Thanx</p>
Expert:  David L replied 3 years ago.
Yes, Onboard or USB CD-ROM Drive is the correct selection.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It says the selected boot device not available. I will reload it to my flash drive instead of on a disk and see if that works but I wont be able to do that tonight. I need to finish this tomorrow. I think I am so tired right now that I may not be thinking straight. I will update this answer tomorrow morning after I redo everything and try it. Then we can go from there. Have a nice day/night. Talk To you morrow!! Thanx!!
Expert:  David L replied 3 years ago.
It sounds like it is looking for a USB boot device with that selection rather than the onboard CD drive. So reboot and press F2 and then in the menu that displayed select to boot first from the CD drive and then reboot, place the CD in the drive and let me know if it boots from the CD.

Also, boot into the Boot to Utility Partition option in the F12 menu and let me know what options are displayed. This may provide helpful tools.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
<p>I wanted to get the Boot into Utility Partition to you before I go back to bed in bout hour. Here are the options:</p><p>Express Test - Performs a quick test of devices in the system. This typically can take </p><p>10 to 20 minutes.</p><p>Extended Test - Performs a thorough check of devices in the system. This typically</p><p>can take an hour or more.</p><p>Custom Test - Use to test a specific device or customize the tests to be run.</p><p>System Tree - This option allows you to select tests based on a symptom of the</p><p>problem you are having. This option lists the most common symptoms.</p><p>I havent put the rc files on flash drive yet but will do that while I am waiting for your response to this.</p><p>I am going back to bed for next several hours. I will leave this open to await your reply as to my next step.</p>
Expert:  David L replied 3 years ago.

Since the rc.iso was designed for a CD, I am not sure it will work on a USB. That will depend upon the imaging software and settings.

If the USB drive does not work, download and run CDburnerXP at the link below

click here

and then follow the instructions at the link below to burn the rc.iso image to a disc

click here
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok I have been fiddling with this since I woke up again and I have redownloaded rc and burned it twice and I think I got it to work. I am now in the Windows XP Home Edition Setup

I have several options I can choose from but I think I know which I need to do next but I really wanted to check just to be sure. I can Setup Windows XP now, by pressing Enter or To repair Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, Press R or to quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

I am pretty sure you want me to choose the second option and then do the fixboot and then the fixmbr. Is this right??

Expert:  David L replied 3 years ago.

Yes, the second option, to press R is what you need to do next. And then enter the Administrator password XXXXX prompted and after that run fixboot and fixmbr and then reboot the computer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
As far as I can tell there is no Administrator Password. Under security there was not a password XXXXX in any of the 4 options. Should I create a password XXXXX then do this or just press enter when that comes up?
Expert:  David L replied 3 years ago.
Just press Enter when prompted for the Administrator password XXXXX there is no pasword set for the Administrator account.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So frigging close and now it is like it doesnt recognize my keyboard. I have pressed R and nothing happened so I pressed F3 and nothing happened. I rebooted the computer and got back into the disk and pressed R and nothing happened. I know this cannot be right? What is going on that this is being such a bear? The only option that I have not pressed was enter and that is because I certainly didnt want to make the situation any worse. My keyboard is wired into the computer thru a usb port. This is the first computer I have seen that does not have designated slots for the mouse and keyboard. What do I do now?
Expert:  David L replied 3 years ago.
It sounds like a driver issue with the USB port. Try another keyboard to see if that resolves the issue. If there is a PS/2 port and if you have a PS/2 keyboard try that as well. Also, when the keyboard fails to respond unplug the keyboard and plug it in again and then press the Num Lock key until the Num Lock LED light blinks when you press the Num Lock key and then try typing again.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I mispoke and it does have a dedicated keyboard port. Sorry bout that but it has been ages since I have seen the back of this computer. At any rate, I unplugged and replugged the original keyboard in and the lights went on then off like normal yet I couldnt get the Num Lock light to come on no matter how many times I hit the key. I plugged in the Sony keyboard from our Vaio computer and again the lights flashed and still I could not get the Num Lock light to come on. I rebooted the computer thinking it just might be hanging on something little thing stopping the keyboard from working but no it still won't work. I dont have a PS/2 keyboard let alone know what one of those are. I did try a wireless keyboard but that wont work without the drivers installed. I think I am batting 1000 and getting nowhere. Now what should we try?

Expert:  David L replied 3 years ago.

At this point you have to either obtain an XP install disc or run the Load Defaults options to return the computer configuration back to factory defaults. So next try the Load Defaults option and let me know if it does offer the option to reset all software to default settings and if you are comfortable in doing that next.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I tried the Load Defaults and it is looking for a floppy of some kind. It says Floppy diskette seek failure, Press F1 to continue and F2 to enter Setup Utility. When I press

F1 thats when the multi disk runs and I briefly ever so briefly get the Windows screen and then it defaults back to blue Stop error screen. I do know that every time I reboot it does do the Floppy diskette seek failure so nothing I do actually gets me out of the Load Defaults session except to load a repair disk like I did with the disk I created through your links. So I can get that far but I really cant figure out just why the keyboard will work all the way through the process only to stop working when the disk loads. That doesnt make any sense to me at all.

Expert:  David L replied 3 years ago.
Is the keyboard plugged into a USB hub or directly into the computer?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
<p>It is plugged into the designated Keyboard Port. There is both a keyboard port and a mouse port for wired keyboard and wired mouse. Both ports sit right above the USB ports and only allows keyboards into the keyboard port and mouses into mouse port with they unique pins.</p>
Expert:  David L replied 3 years ago.
Ok so do you have a USB hub that you could use to plug the USB keyboard into?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Oh yes there are a number of USB Ports I can plug into, including 1 on the front of the computer which I normally use for the wireless mouse.

Expert:  David L replied 3 years ago.
What I am thinking of is a separate USB hub that plugs into your computer which would also power the keyboard. By using a USB hub you might be able to get the USB keyboard to work.

Another option is to burn the rc.iso image again (in case it did not burn to disc correctly) and then boot the disc and see if that resolves the keyboard issue.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I know I had to redo the disk once already so I am game to that but I do need to let you know and I dont know if this could be creating the problem but when I left-click on the click here link, all I get is a blank page and then I get an error stating Internet Explorer prevented the download blah blah blah so I click in the bar and ask it to download files and nothing happens. The only way I got it to download was to right-click and open then the download started right away and I know the CD burner program is helping a lot. Could this be part of the problem and if so how do I disable IE from stopping the download from starting when I left-click it?
Expert:  David L replied 3 years ago.
It sounds like a problem could have occurred in the download. So try right clicking on the download link and then click Save Target As in the menu that appears and then save the file.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I went to reburn the disk and of course I ran into a problem. If any process ran smoothly I think I would faint from shear surprise. Now the CD Burner does not choose a drive so upon looking at the troubleshooting, they recommend doing 1 of 3 things: 1) use NeroBurnRights, 2) install Intel Matrix Storage Manager or 3) install RAID drivers for AMD chipset. The computer I am currently using to download all this is an HP Pavilion 6500 with an AMD Anthlon(tm) 64x2 Dual Core processor TK-55. So which do I use and if you check the links to the RAID drivers, I am not sure which I should download. Sorry to be so helpless at times but I tried to figure it out and I am just not sure. I dont need this computer going out on me also.
Expert:  David L replied 3 years ago.
Ok so reboot the computer and then use Nero Burn Rights. Most likely the issue with the computer is temporary and a reboot should resolve the issue.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok I reburned the disk twice and still I am getting nothing when I press R. There is a bar at the bottom of the screen that has information as the disk is loading and one of the things it says is to press F6 if you need to install RAID drivers. Could this be the problem and where in the world do I find that at?
Expert:  David L replied 3 years ago.

No that is supposed to display as part of the boot process for the disc and is not the issue.

So next let me know if you have any blank floppy disks. If so and if you have 6 blank floppy drives, next you should download the XP boot floppy program from the link below and then run it on one of the other computers you have that also has a floppy drive to create the six boot floppy set for XP. Then you can use the floppies to boot the computer and uninstall SP3.

cilck here

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have a lot of blank disks I bought a stack of 50 and still have more than half so blanks are not a problem. So now I just need to know if you are saying I need to download this link on the laptop that has Windows XP on it and not the Vista?
Expert:  David L replied 3 years ago.
Hello - The application that creates the startup disks just needs to have a floppy drive. It should not matter whether the computer is running Vista or XP however XP would be best as I believe the application was designed for XP.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Do I need to extract the files before I download them to disk?
Expert:  David L replied 3 years ago.
No, just double click on the downloaded file and then specify the drive letter for the floppy drive. Then it will image each disk. Also, label each disk with a number so that you can tell them apart.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Before I start this download, can I use the Windows XP reovery disks from my Sony Vaio Computer?

I bought the Sony in Oct 2001 and the Dell is newer than that. The Vaio is regular Windows XP home edition and the Dell is Windows XP Home Media Edition.

Are the 2 compatible by chance?

Expert:  David L replied 3 years ago.
If you are referring to CD recovery discs then they are not compatible. If you are referring to floppy recovery disks that can boot the computer, they should work however the software on the disks may not be compatible with all hardware on the Dell.

So it would be better to download the software from Microsoft and make the floppy boot disks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I dont know what I am doing wrong but it burns 1 disk and then nothing. I see where it says it has a self-extracting cabinet but I cant seem to get more than 1 disk out of it. I am using the Vista cuz with the Windows XP i have to hook up the CD/DVD external drive but if the Vista isnt going to download it properly, I will do that. What do you recommend?
Expert:  David L replied 3 years ago.
Try placing a second disk in the drive and press the Enter key. After the first floppy is completed it should ask for another and so forth until the process is completed (6 floppies). If it does not do that then you will have to use the XP computer.

If the XP computer will not work then there other ways to do this. The point of the boot floppies is to get to a command line where you can then uninstall SP3 from the computer. If the boot floppies cannot be completed then I will recommend another form of boot disk.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok I found out part of the problem I was having with downloading was I didnt open the program and run it. So once I found that out, I ran the program from the saved download and got as far as the command prompt asking what drive to send the info to. I typed e and the command prompt window closed. I waited and waited for the disks to be written but nothing happened. I tried at least 4 times and still nothing so I decided to setup the Windows XP laptop and external drive. I ran the program from the directly from the website and once again got the command prompt askiing which drive to wrtie the files to which I again typed e. I briefly saw a line under that but do not know what it said. I waited and waited for the files to be written and still nothing happened. Does it take a while for the files to be compiled and then written to the CD? Are the files supposed to be written immediately? Are we having fun yet?

I have double checked to make sure the external drive is drive E: and it is so what do I do now?

Expert:  David L replied 3 years ago.
On the computer where you are creating the boot disks open "My Computer" or "Computer" and find the drive letter for the floppy drive. Then start the boot disk software again and enter the drive letter for the floppy drive and it should start writing to the floppy disk in the floppy drive. Usually a floppy drive is drive A: or drive B: .
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I know most computers have A: or B: as their drive but no matter how I look at it mine is Drive E: and nothing I have done can persuade the files to download and write to E: I have tried to extract them manually with no luck and I have repeatedly tried opening the program from disk and from hard drive. I even tried to save the files to my hard drive to write them to disk later and that didnt work. Both laptops have Drive E:. The IBM (Windows XP OS) has the external drive that is connected by USB port and the HP (Vista OS) has the DVD-R Drive installed. If I put a blank disk into either drive they both come up as Disk (E:) I do have access to HP (Windows7 OS) computer if that would make any difference but I am at a loss as to why it wont write the files to the CDs., Do you have any ideas?

Expert:  David L replied 3 years ago.

Ok, I think I understand what is happening. It sounds like you are trying to get the application to write to a CD/DVD drive which uses letter E. The application you downloaded will only write to a floppy drive which uses a square 3.5 inch diskette such as what is depicted in the link below:

click here

Do any of the computers, especially the one built in 2001 and the one having issues, support that type of disk?

If not then download the Ultimate Boot CD from one of the mirror sites at the link below and burn the image file to a CD in the same way you did for the rc.iso file. Then place the CD in the CD drive of the computer having issues and then boot the computer into the CD. Once it completes the boot process double click on the command line icon on the computer desktop or click Start, Programs and click the command line icon found in the menu. Then on the command line type

C:

and press the Enter key. Then when the command prompt switches to drive C: type

cd $ntservicepackuninstall$\spuninst

and press the Enter key. The command prompt should then switch to C:\$ntservicepackuninstall$\spuninst . Then type

batch spuninst.txt

and press the Enter key. You should see command line output indicating that SP3 is uninstalling. Once it has completed type

exit

and press the Enter key and then reboot the computer (remove the CD from the drive on reboot) and let the computer boot into Windows.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The Vaio computer does have the 3.5 drive but not one of the other computers have that. Even if I do make the disks on the Vaio I wouldnt be able to use them on the Dell as it doesnt have a 3.5 drive.

I can do what you ask as soon as you send me the link for the mirror site. Hehehehehe

We have been at this so long I feel like your computer buddy. I am on the IBM (Windows XP) right now but I can switch to the HP (Vista) at any time. So once I get the link I will follow your directions.

I am sorry I didnt answer before this but we went out last night with our kids and by the time we got home, I was hurting pretty bad so I spent most of today in bed. I never ever recommend back surgery to anyone. Mine has done nothing but make everything worse.

Expert:  David L replied 3 years ago.

Yeah, I have heard that back surgery can do that...hope yours gets better soon.

The link to the Ultimate boot CD download is below:

click here

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello David

I have been trying and trying to get this working and yet all to no avail. I must have burned 4-6 disks and finally unpacked everything and loaded it to my flashdrive and still nothing is working. Let me start with the disks.

I remember from burning the rc disk that from some reason it didnt always boot up to cd which is the reason for so many burns. Every one of the disks when loaded into the desktop would say Selected boot device not available.

Not getting anywhere that way, I decided to make a bootable flash drive but once again I think I messed something up somewhere because I am getting Error loading operating system. Now I believe I am getting further with the flash drive than I am with the disk. Everything went through the boot menu. I had to do that since after the Dell window came up it would go to Floppy diskette seek failure.

The way I did the flash drive is unpacked the UBCD ISO image then copied it to the flash drive by way of send to: XXXXX XXXXX a feeling that I am missing something but I am not sure what. And I am not sure what you need from here to determine what I do next. Any ideas?

Expert:  David L replied 3 years ago.
Copy to the same flash drive as you did earlier (which was bootable) then the computer should be able to at least boot from the flash drive even if the UBCD files do not start.

If that does not work then check one of the CDs that you burned to see if there is more than one file on it by placing the CD in a working computer and then double click on the CD icon to view the number of files. If there is only one file and it is an "iso" file then the CD burning software copied the iso file rather than burning to the CD as an image.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I just went through all the disks that I have burned over the last 8 days and I cannot find one that has the UBCD on it. Now I know for a fact I burned the UBCD as an ISO file to at least 3 disks and I cannot find one of them. So lets start from scratch with the UBCD and see where we get. I have the ubcd503 ISO file on my hard drive on the HP (Vista) laptop. How do I copy the ISO file to CD as an image?

I would rather work with CD if I can than the flash drive because I think I am missing a step or something when I try to copy the files.

Expert:  David L replied 3 years ago.

Ok so to burn the iso image to CD, first download CDburnerXP at the link below and install on your computer:

click here

Then follow the instructions at the link below to burn the iso file as an image to a CD

click here

Then place the CD in the computer and reboot and let me know if it boots into a Windows like environment.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am not sure what is happening but I will need to redownload the UBCD ISO file. Everytime I burn it to CD and then try to look at what is on the CD, I get a message telling me to insert a disk in the drive.

For some reason, it will look like the file is being burned yet it is not on the disk when you go to look at it so I am thinking that is why the flash drive had the error.

I am downloading the file from another mirror site since I had virtually no luck at the 100 downloads. I downloaded the UBCD ISO TORRENT file which was supposed to be 301 KB yet when I went to burn it to disk it stated it was 13 KB so now I am downloading the regular ISO file and that will take about an hour. I will finish the download, burn the disk, verify it, then try to boot the Dell with it. I will let you know what progress if any I get.

Expert:  David L replied 3 years ago.
Yes, download from the ftp/http rather than torrent download. It sounds like the download is not completing.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok I dont get what is going on but I have not only downloaded multiple ISO files but I have also downloaded 2 more CD burner programs and all are in vain. There is a parameter that I am missing or these disks when I open them would show the ISO file and not one of those disks I have burned is showing the file I "burned" onto the disk. So now to specifics. I have used CDBurnerXP, InfraRed and Free Easy Burner to burn the image from the saved file on my hdd. I am trying to burn the file to a CD-R 80 min/700MB disk. I have used these disks before and are the same as the disk I burned the rc ISO file to as well as the SP3 file. Since the file I am burning is only 301MB this should fit onto the disk, right? The burn programs are so easy to use a chimp can do it so it can't be that but I just dont know what the problem could be unless it is the program itself. Can I burn the program directly from the internet and if so, how?

Expert:  David L replied 3 years ago.
It would not work to burn an image directly from the Internet because the slower network connection would cause the image burn to fail.

Next right click on the downloaded file and click Properties and let me know the size of the file. If it is over 300 MB that would help confirm that the entire iso file was correctly downloaded.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The size is 301MB (315,994,112 bytes) so it is all there. It just will not burn to CD and that I cant figure because I was able to burn the rc ISO file with no problem. Should I unpack it again and save it to the flash drive since I am having all the problems with the disk?
Expert:  David L replied 3 years ago.

Welll first if you have another computer that you can use to burn the disk try that first.

Also, when it fails to burn to disk are there any errors or other indications of failure?

Also, right click on the CD drive icon and click Properties with one of the burned CDs in the drive and see if Properties shows 301 MB of space occupied.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes I do have another computer I can try to use to see if it will work that way. What happens with the HP (Vista) is after it goes through the burn process and ejects the disk, I close up the drive without removing it and after a minute or so a window pops up asking if I want to format the disk. It shows there is 702 MB of 702 MB available. That is how I am finding out the burn did not take. I have tried to format the disk beforehand and I get a window that says Windows could not complete the format. There are no error messages and it actually goes through the entire burn process including closing the disk which makes it a non-rewriteable CD. I get that because when I try to erase the disk or burn over what has been done, I get a Window that says I need 301 MB free space and present 0 MB non-rewriteable CD which I find very curious since there is nothing on it??? I just dont know what is going on with this. I will need to setup my IBM (Windows XP) tomorrow since it is 10:23 now and we will be going to bed in the next hour or so. I will let you know how far I get with that. Have a great one and I will talk with you tomorrow.
Expert:  David L replied 3 years ago.

Ok so let me know if burning the disc on another computer works.

If that does not work then next please follow the instructions at the link below to burn the UBCD to USB (the download on that page contains the necessary modifications to run it from a USB flash drive):

click here

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How do I determine which Linux Distribution to use? I have read the help section but I am still at a loss as to which to use or does it matter? Which would you use? Now I really feel like a novice. Hehehehehehe

Expert:  David L replied 3 years ago.

Use the installer application for Windows that you can download at the link below:

click here

Then run the application after plugging a blank flash drive into the computer and follow the prompts in the application to install the UBCD flash drive image to the flash drive.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am not sure what it is I am to be running but the link you have provided is not bringing anything up and I have tried both laptops.

I have been and still am at the Pendrivelinux.com site but I am not sure what Linux Distribution I should use from the list. When I plug in the USB flash drive, will the program select the appropriate one or do I need to select it? If I need to select it, I have no idea which one to choose or how to tell which would be appropriate for what I am doing. That is what I need the most direction on right now. So which do I choose?

Expert:  David L replied 3 years ago.

Ok so since you have already downloaded the UBCD you only need to download the USB installer at the link below:

click here

Then go through the install process (either click Run at the download window or save it to the hard drive and then double click on the install file then agree to the license and then click Ultimate Boot CD for the Distro (see the picture below) and then click Browse and navigate to the Ultimate Boot CD file you downloaded and then use the drop down box to click on your USB flash drive and then click Create (make sure the USB flash drive is plugged in)

graphic

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

HIP: HIP HOORAY I got a new screen and it is the Ultimate Boot CD V5.0.3 Alright we are on our way now. WOO HOOO!!! So I have this list to choose from. What would you like me to do next?

Expert:  David L replied 3 years ago.

Good! So just to clarify, you were able to boot into the Ultimate Boot CD correct? If so choose the first option and it will boot into a Windows type environment. Then uninstall SP3 by following the instructions at the link below:

click here

Use method 4 starting with step 5 to uninstall SP3.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Just to clarify YES!! I made it into the Ultimate Boot CD. But now I need clarification on my side. You want me to boot into BIOS?

There are the other options like CPU and HDD, Memory amd Others, Periperals, System, Parted Magic V4.10, UBCD FreeDOS and User-defined. Then it goes to Boot next device and Reboot with the last option of GRUB4DOS menu.

So again I need to ask, You want ME to boot into BIOS?

Expert:  David L replied 3 years ago.
No, not into the BIOS. The first option should be to boot into the UBCD environment. If that is not the first option then select UBCD FreeDOS and boot.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
<p>Ok now I can select UBCD applications or Drivers & system tools, List available commands or Volkov Commander plus I can Launch NwDisk Help or Browse. So which do I use to uninstall SP3?</p>
Expert:  David L replied 3 years ago.

Ok so go to System Tools to get to the command line.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dang!!! I ran into another problem. I used the c:\windows\$NtServicePackUninstall$\spuninst\spuninst.exe method to uninstall SP3 and I got the following:

c:\windows\$NtServicePackUninstall$\spuninst\spuninst.exe refers to a location that is unavailable. It could be on a hard drive on this computer, or on a network. Cjeck to mae sure that the disk is properly inserted, or that you are connected to the Internet or your network, and then try again. If it still cannot be located, the information might have been moved to a different location.

To be honest, I think that is why it hung on Checking Product Key due to not being able to access the Internet. Since I only have limited SP3 files, I wonder if it wouldnt be a better idea to repair the RPC and then get online to finish the rest of this??

Expert:  David L replied 3 years ago.
Try the method four step number 5 next as it may not have the same issue. To repair the RPC issue would most likely be more difficult than uninstalling SP3.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I went into command prompt and typed "cd $intservicepackuninstall$\spuninst" and got this "The system cannot find the path specificed."

I typed "batch spuninst.txt" and got " 'batch' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file."

Is there something else you would like me to try? Should I try to install SP3 pack again?

Expert:  David L replied 3 years ago.

Ok then on the command line navigate to the

c:\windows\$NtServicePackUninstall$\spuninst

directory and then type

spuninst.exe

and press Enter.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
<p>I am seeing a lot of Generic Host Process Shut Down and computer restarts by NT AUTHORITY due to the RPC not working. A Generic Host Process generated a computer restart and when it loaded to windows. there was nothing on the screen but the background. After waiting for a good 15 minutes I turned off the computer by the Windows Task Manager. I am still waiting for it to finish shutting down and turning off. It has been doing this process since shortly after 4:30pm and it is now 6:44pm. Should I shut it down? or continue to wait for it to shut down? </p><p> </p><p>Do you want me to enter the information you gave me time stamped 5:11pm in the command window? or somewhere else?</p><p> Just to let you know here it is 2:13 am and it still says Windows is shuttting down.</p>
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So should I just turn off the Dell and let it sit for a few minutes then turn it on and see what happens? It finally shut down a good 12 hours later or more. I am going to try doing the c: and see where that gets me
Expert:  David L replied 3 years ago.

I apologize for the delay. Yes, if it takes that long then just power it down.

Also, were you able to try the last procedure mentioned above?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I did try the above procedure only to get the following: "The system cannot find the path specified." I know it got hung at the Checking product key so I am wondering if it was unable to Check the product key would it have written any files at all? Then again the multi disk thingy in Safe Mode is different and I have never seen that before. The Generic Host 32 process shut down also has me a bit worried as it can happen when it feels like it and then I have to wait for the computer to restart. Where do we go from here? Would you like me to try and install SP3? Or should I try something else first?
Expert:  David L replied 3 years ago.
This is becoming very complex and you have been without your computer for some time now. So I would like to take this another direction that should get it running and also equip you with some tools that you can use in the future as well. First, what is the service tag on the bottom of the computer?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Service Tag # XXXXX www.dell.com Express Service Code # XXXXX
Expert:  David L replied 3 years ago.
Ok thanks.

So go to the link below and fill out the form and Dell will sent recovery discs that you can use to restore the computer to factory defaults. There is no cost to order the discs and would be a quick way to get it working again and also get it working again in the future if something else happens, such as having to replace the hard drive:

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dellcare/en/backupcd_form?

Then use the USB imaging application to create another boot USB flash drive with the Mint Linux Live CD software on the USB flash drive. Then boot the computer using the flash drive and copy all information you wish to keep (all your personal documents, pictures, etc) to a second USB flash drive on the computer.

Then when you receive the discs from Dell you can restore the operating system to factory defaults and also have a failsafe should something like this happen again.

You can download the Linux Mint Live CD iso file at the link below:
'
http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=67

I recommend Linux Mint because the copy and paste operation may be more difficult to perform in UBCD.

Let me know if this solution will meet your needs.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I ordered the backup discs from Dell and will do the Linux Mint later today. I do need to know about the UBCD flash drive I made. Should that be on a seperate flash drive with nothing more on it? Can I move that info from the flash drive I put it on to another smaller one? Should the Linux Mint be on its own flash drive? Should I keep it seperate and by itself?

I ask all these questions because I have 3 flash drives. A 256MB. 4GB and we just bought a 32GB. Naturally I want to get the most out of them but if the UBCD and Linux Mint need to be on their own flash drives, I will make sure that happens. I want to thank you again for all the time and effort you have put into this project and I hope I wasnt too ridiculous to work with and you have some hair left for the next major goof up!! Hehehehehe

Expert:  David L replied 3 years ago.
Each flash drive such as the UBCD flash drive and the Linux Mint flash drive should be on a separate drive. The UBCD drive needs at least 512MB and the Linux Mint needs at least 800 MB. However, you could always reflash them when you need to so that you can use the USB drive for something else until you need UBCD or Linux Mint again.

No worries at all, I am happy to help and appreciate your patience as computer issues can be difficult and complex at times to work through.

So let me know when you try using Linux Mint and if you have questions about using it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am not able to burn this to a CD it just remains blank even after it appears to be burning to the CD so I will pick up some DVDs tomorrow and try to burn it again but if I cant get it burned to DVD, do I use the Pendrivelinux.com to load the image to flash drive?
Expert:  David L replied 3 years ago.
Since there have been issues burning images to CD I recommend that you use Pendrivelinux and load the image to a flash drive rather than try using a DVD.
David L, Systems Engineer
Experience: Microsoft & Cisco Certified with over 20 years experience
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I will be closing this out now. Having a few problems getting the repair disks from Dell but I am sure I can get that done at some time. I want to thank you again for all your help and attention. My husband broke down and bought me a new laptop. Hehehehehe guess he got tired of seeing me struggle. I will try to up the amount you get as I think you definitely deserve it. Thanx again!!!!!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I received the discs from Dell and am at a loss as to how to install what I need to fix the computer. I have Windows XP operating it shows all the programs I have put on the computer. Can I just fix the parts that need fixing?? or should I just start from scratch and how do I do that?

I can let you know what discs I got from Dell if that will help but I need to know you need that.

Expert:  David L replied 3 years ago.

Very good. Yes, please let me know the names of the discs you have received.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

All discs state: ALREADY INSTALLED ON YOUR COMPUTER

Orange Disc - Operating System - Reinstallation DVD - Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Version 2005 with Update Rollup 2

Blue Disc - Application - For Reinstalling Dell Tools System Software

Contents: Antivirus Software - Support Software - Multimedia Software - Internet Software

Navy Disc - Application - For Reinstalling Cyberlink PowerDVD DX 8.2 Software for Microsoft Windows XP and Windows Vista

White/Black Disc - Roxio Creator Premier SD 10.2

Expert:  David L replied 3 years ago.

The Orange Operating System DVD is the only one that will resolve the issue. It will reinstall all software back to factory default. So next boot into one of the boot USB drives and then backup any information you wish to keep. Then place the orange DVD in the CD/DVD drive and reboot and follow the onscreen instructions to reinstall the operating system and software.

Note that if you added any programs that were not on the computer after purchase you will need the install media to install them back onto the computer after running the orange DVD.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I put in the Operating System DVD and booted it from F12 Boot Menu. I watched as it loaded all the files it needed to continue with the setup. When it finished loading all the video files and keyboard drivers, I got the following:

Welcome to Setup.

This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft(R) Windows (R) XP to run on your computer.

• To set up Windows XP now, press ENTER.
  • To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.
  • To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

Which if you remember is the exact screen I got when you had me download the Windows XP files from Microsoft. (Please see above)

I know for a frigging fact that my keyboard is working during this process as it says to press F2 to use the Recovery Disc and foollishly I admit thought I could press F2 and use the OS DVD as a Recovery Disc which it wouldn't take so I continued on to hopefully install the Setup but can't get anywhere with it.

So now what do I do???????????????????/

Expert:  David L replied 3 years ago.

At the first screen press the Enter key to select "To setup Windows XP now, press Enter". Then accept the license agreement. Then at the next screen choose your XP installation and then press R and the install disc will start the process of re-installing files which should repair the operating system so that it can boot.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I wished I could do what you are asking of me but once again my keyboard doesn't seem to work when I get to that screen, even though I see the files loaded for it to work. I am very very frustrated since I expected the discs Dell sent me to work on their system. This is getting super ridiculous and as I said before I am not a patient woman. So now that my keyboard basically refuses to work when it gets to the Windows Setup screen, what do you recommend?????
Expert:  David L replied 3 years ago.

I apologize for the delay.

If you are using a USB keyboard, try using a PS/2 keyboard if you have one. The PS/2 connector is shaped like a cylinder rather than flat like USB. Once you plug in the PS/2 connector and boot it should work.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am using a PS/2 keyboard and it doesn't work. I don't have a USB keyboard that works at the moment. The Sony keyboard also will work up until the Windows Setup Screen then nothing seems to work. So any other suggestions??

Expert:  David L replied 3 years ago.

Try the repair install again but this time unplug the mouse before you start.

If that does not work then follow the instructions used earlier to get into the Bios and navigate to the "reset to factory defaults" setting and select and apply the setting and then boot into the XP install disc and try the repair install.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

And this is why you are the expert!!!! After unplugging the mouse and the printer ( both used USB ports) I made it to the EULA and now the software is repairing what damage I did by removing the SP3 which by the way I have told everyone I have talked to NOT to do. It says it will take awhile so as it goes, I think we finally are on the road to recovery!! YAY!!!! If I run into any more problems, I will let you know but I think I can finish the process. THANX so very MUCH!!

Expert:  David L replied 3 years ago.
That is great! :) Just let me know if you have further questions.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Well, wouldn't you know it I hit a glitch! Hehehehehe! It loaded the Microsoft® Windows® XP window (although significantly smaller that it normally should be) saying Please Wait..... I did patiently wait 5 hrs for it to do something, Anything, yet I still have the hourglass pointer and nothing has changed. Should I force shut down? or is there another little trick you know to kick it in the rear and get it going again?
Expert:  David L replied 3 years ago.
Actually, force a shutdown and then boot the computer again. This sometimes happens with installations.