Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Information Systems Manager
Experience:  20 Years Experience in Field. MCSE, ICCP, CNE, Greenbelt
23511658

I have a Nook Color and my computer wont recognize it. It

I have a Nook Color and my computer won't recognize it. It runs on windows 7. I have tried all the available USB ports. I have rebooted. The USB ports work with Ipod and zip drives. Any ideas?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 3 years ago.

Hello. I can assist you with your question.

I do have some ideas. First, make sure the Nook is plugged directly into a USB port on the computer as opposed to an external USB hub. It sounds like you're past that point, so try the steps below. There is a known issue with the Nook not connecting to some Windows 7 computers with the SD card installed.

1. Unplug Nook from computer
  2. Shut down nookcolor. Remove microSDcard.
  3. Restart computer
  4. Restart Nookcolor.
  5. After your computer reboots, plug the device back in.

Edited by XXXXX XXXXXnigan on 2/10/2011 at 1:37 AM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I don't have a micro card. Tried to restart and it didn't work. Even though I am able to recharge the Nook, could the cord need to be replaced?

It is doubtful that the cord is at fault. But it could happen.

I think it is more likely some confusion your computer has about what USB devices are attached.

If you attatch the nook whe the computer is on, does it do anything at all, like make a bonk noise, show a message, anything?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes. the error messasge is One of the USB devicdes attached to this computer has malfunctioned and windos does not recognize it. I fI click on the screen, I'm sent to what looks likes the list of USB port. The one that is not recognized is bold. When I click on that I get "Windows has stopped device because it reported problems (Code 43)

If you are willing to set it back to factory defaults, I can tell you how. It sounds like it is the device so far. this would either fix it or rule that out. It will put the nook back to the way it was right out of the box, so anything you have put into it will be gone.

To do a hard reset, hold down the power button, +Volume button and the Home Nook button at the same time until your machine powers down. Turn your machine back on and it should give you a choice to reset your nook. Power button will cancel it and the nook home button at the bottom will continue with the reset. Confirm it and it will take a couple minutes and your machine will be back to square one.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Mike. I have tried the hard reset 5 times and when I power it back up the downloaded books etc are still there. There are 3 buttons to push at the same time , correct? I think I am doing it correctly
Hold down the power button, +Volume button and the Home Nook button at the same time until your machine powers down. Is it powering down?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes. When I power back up, I don't get a choice to reset. In the settings section there is an option to erase and deregister the device. Is this what you are suggesting? I just go the Nook a month ago so I don't have much on it. If you think erasing and deregistering will work, I wil give it a try. I just don't want to make things worse.

I'm not sure if that will get it back to factory settings. Try this - this should do it. When it is done, it will look like when it came out of the box. So if the firware has been upgraded since then, it will have to be done again. But it should do the reset...

1) Plug USB cable into nook (I did it on my computer but power is probably fine).
2) Remove the battery.
3) If your nook is on the "Your device is starting up" screen, press and hold the power button for 20 seconds till the ">" stops moving. If screen is blank skip to step 5.
4) Press and release the power button again to get the eInk screen to go blank.
5) (Read step 6 before this) Press and release the power button.
6) As soon as you see the eInk screen flash black press and hold the power button.
7) The eInk screen will display a box stating (Your nook is being upgraded...) and the LCD screen will show an update screen like that of a typical firmware upgrade

As the device restores itself you will see the LCD display things such as:

Verifying fallback firmware...
Formating partition...
Installing firmware: Version 1.1.1

8) Once the nook has completed, it will reboot and start the "Your nook is starting up". Reinsert the battery before removing the USB cable.
9) Your nook will load into the "Welcome to your nook. The Barnes & Noble eBook reader."

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Mike. It doesn't look like I have access to the battery in the Nook. Mine is a Nook Color

Hmmm... then the "power, Volume up and Home key press and hold" method should do it.

The erase and deregister will reset it. I just don't know if that resets absolutely everything. It's worth a shot.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I did the erase and deregister. It wnet thru the whole process and said I would lose my books etc. After going thru the process, my noon still has the books and I'm still getting the error message. This has got to be as frustrating for you as it is for me.

Frustrating? Ok... many of these problems are, but at least I have a chance to get paid for it. It's much more frustrating when you paid for this product, it tells you it's going to do something, and you find it's lying about it. How strange.

There has to be a foolproof way to reset it - even though yours refuses to lose the information for some reason.

I guess you are having no problem navigating on the device. So can you check the firmware version? The firmware can be installed from SD card, so if you have one, you could get the latest firmware and install it on there.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/nookcolor-support-software-update/379002520/?bnit=H&bnrefer=HOMEPAGE&cds2Pid=35607

Even if it's the same version, I would try it. I should overwrite the firmware and maybe correct the problem.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I just saw a number for th eNook help desk. They suggested a hard reset by holding down the the power button and the Nook button. They said it migh ttake 30 - 60 seconds. i did it for close to 2 minutes twice and still no hard reset. Now they want to replace the cable. They indicated that since the Nook screen did not change when plug into the computer, that the cable was bad. I appreciate your time on this. Though the issue is not resolved, I don' tmind paying you for your time. Sould I hit "accept answer?"
Expert:  replied 3 years ago.

I do appreciate that very much.

Bookmark the question after you accept. You can come back to it if you have any questions after you get the cable.

Experience: 20 Years Experience in Field. MCSE, ICCP, CNE, Greenbelt