Jason Jones, Computer Expert
Experience:  Over 10 years of professional experience.
30759776

Hello, I have a averatec all in one computer. Its makes a

Hello, I have a averatec all in one computer. It's make's a grinding noise. Was told that the hard drive was failing! Replaced hard drive and still irratating grinding noise. Then discovered by touching cooling fan case , noise stops! Also when fan makes grinding noise, computer will not respond to any command until grinding stops!! Next where can I find a replacement cooling fan?
Thank's,Larry

Computer Extraordinaire :

Greetings,

First off, I suggest that you do not run your computer until you get that fan replaced. If the fan is not properly cooling the computer/cpu and you continue to run it, you run the risk of frying your CPU, making it unfixable.

What is the full model of your Averatac computer?

Customer :

all in one part no d1130ea1e-1

Computer Extraordinaire :

Thank you.

Computer Extraordinaire :

One moment, please.

Computer Extraordinaire :

First things first, is this computer still under any kind of warranty?

Customer :

NO

Computer Extraordinaire :

Being that the the grinding noise stops when you touch the cooling fan case, it probably is not an issue with the actual fan and does not require replacement.

More often than not, this is a result of the fan (which constantly jiggles itself loose from the screws that hold it in) and can be fixed by tightening the screws that hold the fan in place.

Computer Extraordinaire :

If you feel comfortable in doing that yourself, you may. If not, you will have to bring it to a computer repair shop and have them do it.

It is a quick and simple job.

Computer Extraordinaire :

It is either an issue with the fan not being mounted securely or the cooling fan case not being securely in place.

Computer Extraordinaire :

Is there anything else I can help you with today or any questions that I can answer?

Computer Extraordinaire :

You may click the Accept button now and leave any feedback for me that you feel is appropriate.

You may bookmark the following link: http://theextraordinaire.com
----> In the future, if you have a question and would prefer to work with me, please visit that site and ask your questions there.

Customer :

If the fan is loose, would that cause the computer to not respond to a command?

Computer Extraordinaire :

Indeed it can. When the fan gets loose, it disrupts the normal airflow and cooling system setup. When that happens, things overheat. When things in the computer overheat, it causes them to freeze and fail.

Computer Extraordinaire :

That is why I suggested that you not turn that computer on until you get the loose fan issue resolved.

Computer Extraordinaire :

It only takes a few seconds for the CPU to reach a couple hundred degrees celcius, then it will just stop working forever. You may hear a pop or see & smell smoke when that happens.

Computer Extraordinaire :

Customer :

When this all started , I placed a two fan laptop pad under my computer and that helped alot. but now it grinds for about 10 second then runs fine for about ten minute's, then grinds again for another 10 second's and so on!

Computer Extraordinaire :

That is typical of the situation that I am describing (loose fan mount)

Customer :

Thank's alot, I will try that

Computer Extraordinaire :

Fantastic

Computer Extraordinaire :

Thank you for your time and patience.

Computer Extraordinaire :