Mr. Clark
Mr. Clark, Computer Engineer
Experience:  Computer Repair Business Owner & Specialist / CIS Degree
40218039

How to fix error message Active directory domain service is

How to fix error message Active directory domain service is currently unavailable.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Mr. Clark replied 3 years ago.
Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer, a paid global support site.

Sounds like you have either a corporate computer or you are running a domain in your environment.

You will need to attach the machine to the domain that it is a part of and log in from there.

Alternative, if you want to remove this computer from the domain and make it a non-domain machine, you will need to go to Start -> Control Panel -> System -> Change Settings (on bottom right) -> Change button -> select Workgroups and type in a name for the workgroup (i.e. WORKGROUP) and then click OK. Ignore the login (or attempt to use your log in information for the domain).

You should get a prompt "Welcome to WORKGROUP" and then you will be prompted to restart. Restart your computer and update me on the results.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am not a corporate computer and not running on a domain.

Mine is a stand alone home office machine, not even connected to a home network. I do not wish to proceed until you understand that this is NOT a corporate networked environment.

Everything was fine when I shut down on Friday. When I booted up this morning, I could not print my bank statement, but all printers were visible and working in Control Panel. On the bank's advice, when I could not print and could not install a printer, I deleted and re-installed Adobe Reader. After the second install and re start, all printers were missing from Control Panel, and I get the error message quoted when I try to install.

Do you wish to revise your answer?
Expert:  replied 3 years ago.
Okay, no need for the condesending tone. I am here to assist you. By default, domain services are only turned on in Windows environments by a domain controller.

Based on the information you have provided, assuming that you are on a workgroup (not domain listed in your Start -> Control Panel -> System window), I would suggest trying a system restore to perhaps Thursday or prior to, to restore the system settings that were altered and/or corrupted on the Friday shut down.

Go to Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Restore. Check the Show More Restore Points box and then select a point before Friday (like Thursday or before). This method only reverses system changes and registry edits, not physical data or files; and it is completely reversable.

Complete the system restore process and then your machine will reboot. Upon reboot, see if you still have the same issues.

Update me on the results.
Mr. Clark, Computer Engineer
Experience: Computer Repair Business Owner & Specialist / CIS Degree
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I think that it worked! I will press the accept button shortly.

The only actions that occurred were microsoft updates, other than my deleting and re-installing Adobe Reader. What can I do so that such a thing will not happen in future?

Very curious, this.

I am very happy with this service, thank you very much.