Jess
Jess, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Hardware & Software Specialist - 10yrs Exp, Web Designer & Developer
49766785

cut copy and paste buttons greyed out on clipboard menu box

cut copy and paste buttons greyed out on clipboard menu box (Format painter is displayed) Can't copy/paste by using Control-V either. Can you help me please?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Jess replied 3 years ago.

Jess :

Hi, thank you for using JustAnswer.com. I am glad to assist you today.

Jess :

What program are you using? MS Word 2007? 2010?

Customer :

MS Word 2007

Jess :

Ok. Thank you for that information.
The three buttons work in tandem. You need to select something to enable COPY or CUT. Please try to highlight some text and see if the COPY or CUT button is then enabled.

Customer :

Format Painter is active in the clipboard box ... does this help? Cut copy and paste are not. Yes COPY and CUT buttons are enables but then paste is not enabled and Control-V does not work.

Jess :

Also, when you highlight or select something, you can use the Ctrl+C shortcut to copy the highlighted or selected object in MS Word.

Then pressing the Ctrl+V will paste the copied object in the cursor location.

Customer :

Your suggestion does not work.

Jess :

OK. Seems format painter is enable so the PASTE is not active. Please press the ESC key to get out from the Format Painter mode. Then try copying and pasting

Customer :

OK let's give it a try ... I'll be right back.

Jess :

When you see the Format Painter icon is ON, you are in the Painter mode so the program is tracking your mouse actions.

Please exit to that mode by clicking on the Painter icon or pressing the ESC key.

Jess :

Yes please try it... Let me know your results.

Customer :

Sorry, it didn

Customer :

sorry it didn't work

Jess :

But, were you able to exit from the Format Painter mode?

Customer :

yes

Jess :

Please exit from the Format Painter mode by pressing ESC while you are viewing the MS Word document. Or, click the Format Painter button again to turn it off

Jess :

OK. If you are not in Format Painter mode but then the copy/paste features don't work, please try the following:

Customer :

Ok In an existing document this worked. But in a new document it did not.

Jess :

1. Close MS Word.
2. Cleanup with CCleaner. Doing the CCleaner cleanup will remove temporary and cached files. Too many temporary and cache files saved in your computer will disable your copy/cut/paste features since there is no room for another file cache.

Jess :

OK... What do you mean? The problem is only with a new document? Is this new document SAVED already?

Customer :

yes.

Customer :

I did not try the cleaner ... what is this?

Jess :

Hold on while I prepare for the steps

Jess :

Cleanup with CCleaner

Download FREE CCleaner Here

After downloading the installer file, double click on it to start the installation process. When

successfully installed, run the CCleaner program.

Make sure that you run both CLEANER and REGISTRY cleaner. With regard to the registry cleaner, make

sure that you do the SCAN and FIX issues several times until no issues are reported.

Customer :

do I need to buy this? I have AVG and HP Support with my PC

Jess :

No. CCleaner is FREE and the download link that I gave you points you to the free version of the product. CCleaner will cleanup your system from unwanted and temporary files. It can co-exist with your AVG

Customer :

OK it is installed. Now what do I do?

Jess :

Please run the cleaner program. For some visual guide, please click on this link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgjfpnSOdTc

Customer :

Cleaner is running now.

Customer :

I really appreciate your help/ Thanks for being patient with me.

Jess :

All you need to do with CCleaner is to run the Cleaner tool and the Registry Tool. The cleaner tool will cleanup your computer from all unwanted files including the cached files and temporary files that affect your clipboard functions.

The registry tool on the other hand will remove registry errors that might have been accumulated after installing and uninstalling software or programs in the past.

This cleanup will boost your system performance and speed.

Customer :

Cleaner is finished. The button options are now analyse or run cleaner.

Jess :

Click on RUN cleaner

Jess :

It will removed the mess that it found. It will also empty your recycle bin

Customer :

OK It says removed.

Customer :

Cleaning complete. Shall I try Word again?

Jess :

Now, click ANALYZE again

Jess :

See if it still find some mess

Jess :

If it still finds some more mess, please remove them as well

Customer :

OK Is says analyses complete no more to be removed.

Jess :

OK... You can now close CCleaner and try your MS Word

Customer :

sorry Jess. I opened the saved document again and the same problem occured.

Customer :

The strange thing is that if I open an 'old' document the copy/paste works as normal ????

Jess :

Please try opening a new blank document. Then try to see if the copy/paste function works

Customer :

Unfortunately no.

Jess :

ok hold on

Jess :

Seems your entire Word template is changed. Since every new document is affected. Is this correct? But all OLD documents have no problem, right?

Customer :

Correct

Jess :

Now, we need to reset your Word template so that you can work with new files normally.
This requires some steps so please be patient with this. I will help you all throughout the steps.

Customer :

Thank you!

Jess :

You need to FIND the file named Normal.dotm
Can you do a filtered search? Please try this:

Click Start => Search => Files and Folders
In the name box, type: normal.dotm
Then press enter to begin search

Customer :

where is the name box

Jess :

The text box where you put the name to search for

Customer :

There are 2 files there

Customer :

Both are email messages

Jess :

OK... Did you type NORMAL.DOTM ?

Customer :

yes

Customer :

I also pointed to search everywhere

Jess :

Please make sure that MS Word is close.
Then rename the files to NORMAL.OLD

Jess :

To rename the file, click on the file name to select, then press F2

Jess :

then type the new name as NORMAL.OLD
You just add the .OLD in the original names

Customer :

sorry there are no files to rename

Jess :

Did you search for NORMAL.DOTM?

Jess :

And got some results?

Jess :

If you see NORMAL listed in the results, please rename them

Jess :

For some tips in searching, click on this link

Customer :

I hope you mean the start button on the desktop

Jess :

The Start button with the Windows Logo

Jess :

Please SEARCH for the Word template known as the NORMAL.DOTM file

Customer :

Yes, this is the one I used. All that shows up is under communications and they are email messages.

Jess :

OK. This time, use a filtered search. Instead of NORMAL.DOTM, type *.DOTM as the search string

Jess :

Or as the thing to search for

Customer :

Just one file showed up

Jess :

Cool. This time, it is not an email? What is the name of the file?

Customer :

I don't need it. Can delete it if that would help.

Jess :

What is the name of the file that showed up after the search?

Jess :

Is it named NORMAL?

Customer :

It is CQ Letterhead but there is a ?mark imbedded in the word icon

Jess :

Can you delete it?

Customer :

yes I will

Jess :

Please do an Advanced Search

Jess :

Search for NORMAL.DOTM and make sure that the option for "Search for HIDDEN FILES" is checked

Customer :

I can't see the search for hidden files option

Jess :

OK...

Customer :

I searched in documents, advanced search, and include hidden etc. It found nothing

Jess :

Bottom part, about Advanced Search.

Jess :

OK...

Jess :

Please click Start => RUN

Jess :

Copy this: %appdata%\Microsoft\Templates
Then paste in there, then click OK

Jess :

You should then see the files used by MS Word...

Jess :

It is called the NORMAL.dotm file

Customer :

Yes, normal but with !mark imbedded in the document icon.

Jess :

Are you in the Templates folder now?

Customer :

yes

Jess :

Please CLOSE MS Word and all open documents

Jess :

Then RENAME that file to NORMAL.OLD

Customer :

do you mean the template?

Customer :

It says can't rename the file because it is open in another program

Jess :

YEAH. Rename it from "Normal" to anything like "Normal.OLD". When you open MS Word, it will be re-created by MS Word with the default settings.

Customer :

still not letting me renane for the same reason above

Jess :

OK. Seems MS WOrd is Working in the backfround. Please close ALL MS Office programs incduding Excel or Outlook. ESPECIALLY OUTLOOK

Customer :

Funny thing is happing here, when I try to open it from the template, it says this is document 23 (I have no word documents open!)

Customer :

I no other programs open except us and the template folder

Jess :

Please bookmark our chat PAGE

Jess :

Or add to favorites

Jess :

Tell me when done...

Jess :

You need to restart your computer

Jess :

Just remember how to found the NORMAL file in the templates folder

Customer :

Do I just drag to favourites?

Jess :

Please bookmark our page or add to favorites so that you can get back to me after you restart

Jess :

Click on Favorites => Add to favorites

Customer :

OK Done

Jess :

This time, please restart your computer in Safe Mode with Networking.

Jess :

You can still chat with me in that Mode

Jess :

Just get back to me through the link that you saved in Favorites

Jess :

Another way to get back to me is to login to justanswer.com and click on the link MY QUESTIONS

Jess :

Please try booting your computer in Safe Mode with Networking.

1. Turn ON your computer
2. Immediately tap the F8 key and keep tapping it until you see the Advanced Boot Menu options
3. Navigate using the arrow keys and choose Safe Mode with Networking
4. Press ENTER to choose Safe Mode with Networking
5. Press ENTER again to confirm

Please let me know when you are able to enter Safe Mode

Customer :

OK talk to you soon! But first I have to go pee lol!

Jess :

OK. I will just stand by here

Customer :

Hi Jess, I am back but the F8 key doesn't seem to work

Jess :

OK. But did you attempt to start in Safe Mode? Anyway, Windows might have loaded fast that's why the F8 key seem not to work.

Please do not open MS Office yet. Then, follow the procedures and go to the templates folder. Try to rename the NORMAL file and see if it allows you to rename this time

Customer :

OK we are good for the rename now.

Jess :

OK. Please rename now and see if it allows you to do so

Customer :

Done!

Jess :

Good. to know that. Now, close the template folder. Then start MS Word. See if the problem disappears

Customer :

OK Seems to work but Word had to do a repair. I looked at the repair and got this message in a dialog box:

Customer :

keep source formatting (checked)

Customer :

Match destination formatting Keep_text only .... then an underscore and the words Set Default paste What should I do?

Jess :

OK

Jess :

Can you uncheck that option then?

Customer :

Yes, I did ... then what?

Jess :

Continue with the repair

Customer :

yes I did. I opened another blank document and all seems to be well. I think we might be done now? Thanks for the marathon discussion and all your help. Appriciated very much. Wish I knew what caused this in the first place as those old docs have been around for a while.

Jess :

yes cool to know that...

Jess :

This problem is basically caused by changing the template file

Customer :

Bye and thanks again. I shall push the accept button and then go and cook dinner!

Jess :

Thank you

Jess :

Please leave a positive feedback if you are satisfied

Jess, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Computer Hardware & Software Specialist - 10yrs Exp, Web Designer & Developer