Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Ten years of computer support. Microsoft MCP & CompTIA A+ certifications. Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP etc.
30037186

My HP Mini Netbook is dead, does not boot at all. Memory, Hard

My HP Mini Netbook is dead, does not boot at all. Memory, Hard disk etc. are OK. Fan inside working, but BIOS never starts. According to advice from the net (high number of people experienced this obvious factory defect) I have to disconnect the CMOS battery inside, which will reset BIOS. They say it is located under the removed keyboard, wrapped in plastic with two wires which have to be disconnected. After removing the keyboard, there is no sign of the battery. I disassembled the case and still no sign of it.
Do you know where is the battery inside my HP 2133 netbook?
Joseph
Category: Computer
Expert:  Viet - Computer Tech replied 5 years ago.

Viet - Computer Tech :

Viet - Computer Tech :

The battery is very small, and it must be located on the systemboard/motherboard.

Viet - Computer Tech :

Like below:

Full Size Image

Full Size Image

Viet - Computer Tech :

So you do not see anything on the screen at all when turning on the computer?

Viet - Computer Tech :

Have you tried turning on the netbook without the laptop's battery (only with the charger connected)?

Viet - Computer Tech :

When you see nothing on the screen, the CMOS battery is not the issue.

Viet - Computer Tech :

You do not even need the CMOS battery for the computer to work (but CMOS battery would keep the clock running and other settings).

Viet - Computer Tech :

Since you've tested the memory and hard disk, then the issue is the systemboard/motherboard.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So far all your answers are clear for me. I tried all suggested methods.

On the net somebody wrote that after disconnecting and reconnecting the CMOS battery his computer was revived. I wanted to do the same, but could not find the battery inside the laptop (size of a small coin).
Do you know where is this battery inside a HP 2133? Or, perhaps, how to reset BIOS?

When I switch on, there are a few, hardly visible flicks on the screen when I use FN+F2 (sleep), which disappear altogether after awhile.
Sorry, for this model I have not disassemble it as there are like thousands of laptop models. You can click here for more instructions to disassemble. Something might cover it, but it usually must be located on the mainboard.

Also, can you connect an external desktop monitor to the mini to see if the screen stay on?

Thanks,
-Viet
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I did connect to external monitor, no signal.

The link you gave me gives instruction only to the hard disk and memory.

I suppose you did your best and I carry on searching for the damn battery inside the machine, because I found no jumper to reset the bios.

Thank you,
First I click on Reply before accepting your Answer.
Joseph
Sorry about that; usually there is no bios jumper laptop because it's small. It's strange there is no battery; there must be; it might be soldered in the systemboard.

It looks like you have not clicked on Accept yet. Can you please click on Accept now to show I have assisted you. Thank you for using JustAnswer.com again. Have a good weekend!

Thanks,
-Viet