Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Worked With The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

how do I enable my built in microphone for toshiba satellite

Customer Question

how do I enable my built in microphone for toshiba satellite L305
Category: Computer
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer.com

My name isXXXXX am one of the experts who will assist you today!

Lets make sure your microphone is enabled.. And then..

Test it.. If this works.. Then we know your microphone is installed and working properly.. And will also be enabled for use with other programs..

1. Open control panel
  2. Open the Sound control panel
  3. Go to the Recording tab
  4. Right click anywhere in the blank white area of the window to display the show disabled devices context menu
  5. Click on "Show disabled devices" (See below)
  6. Once your microphone is visible, right click on it and be if not already ticked, click on "Enable" - this should get your microphone working.

Vista Audio

Confirming Proper Functioning of your Microphone

Once you have completed the above steps you can test your microphone under the Vista operating system using the sound recorder. This involves the following steps

1.

Make sure you have an audio input device, such as a microphone, connected to your computer.

2.

Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, and then click Sound Recorder.

3.

Click Start Recording.

4.

To stop recording audio, click Stop Recording.

5.

(Optional) If you want to continue recording audio, click Cancel. In the Save As dialog box, click Resume Recording, continue to record sound, and then click Stop Recording.

6.

Click the File name box, type a file name for the recorded sound, and then click Save to save the recorded sound as an audio file

.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
When I have my hotmail open the microphone is showing enable in the audio, however when I log off hotmail it removes the microphone from the audio. Also, I am trying to take the Rosetta Stone class and its still showing that microphone isnt working. Can i give you access to my computer to check this.
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
I wish you could give me access.. It would save time. Unfortunately, we dont offer that service to all customers, Our software is still in beta testing phase..

Question.. When it shows enabled in hotmail.. does it actually work? ( the microphone)

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The computer is a Toshiba Satellite L305D, I was in the process of taking the Rosetta Stone Class online and was using the built in speaker. To improve my responses I tried plugging in headphones w/ speakers and in the process I disabled the built in microphone. I have tried to launch the training class again but it still doesnt recognize the microphone. In sound, under recording I have Realtek High Definition Audio Mic and Realtek HIgh Definition Audio Stereo Mix. I have the mic listed as default. Being computer illiterate I really dont know much more to say are there any specific questions you have.
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
which mic do you have with the green default check?

the high definition mic?

or the high def stereo mic?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
the high def mic
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 years ago.
Ok, when your inside recording devices.. and you see the two mics..

What happens if you right click on the hi def mic.. and then click test , ( or settings, and then on the settings menu, test)

Does the microphone pass the test?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
the test button does not come up for the mic but it does for the other one