Jess
Jess, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Hardware & Software Specialist - 10yrs Exp, Web Designer & Developer
49766785

How can I merge my thunderbird e-mail data from two computers

Customer Question

How can I merge my thunderbird e-mail data from two computers in one computer. Either one of existing computers I have or new one I am about to purchase/
Category: Computer
Expert:  Jess replied 3 years ago.

Jess :

Hi, thank you for using JustAnswer.com. I am glad to assist you today.

Jess :

How did you create the backup of your thunderbird?

Customer :

Originally, I just backed up the entire directory to a usb disk drive. Since, that drive's backup software did not recognize Thunderbird's deeply embedded directory as the location of my e-mail and it didn't copy my email.

Customer :

I like Mozilla's thunderbird e-mail client, except I don't know how to back up and restore it with ease.

Jess :

OK...

Jess :

To backup, use EXPORT

Jess :

To restore, use IMPORT

Jess :

Please try to IMPORT your saved backup in your Thunderbird

Customer :

Where do I find this "Export" and "Import" within Thunderbird ... it isn't an option on the file drop down.

Jess :

During IMPORT, you will be asked for the location where you backed up your files

Customer :

By the way I'm using Windows XP on all three of my computers.

Jess :

OK. Open TB (Thunderbird). Click on Tools then IMPORT which is located at the bottom part

Customer :

Importing is there, but where is exporting so I put my e-mail from my other computer on an USB disk drive?

Jess :

OK. This procedure that follows will be safer

Jess :

Instead of exporting, please copy the ENTIRE thunderbird files

Jess :

Hold on

Customer :

The import function asks me for Outlook Express or Netscape, but not from another Thunderbird client

Jess :

For a better backup and restore operation, please download and install MOZBACKUP add-on for your Thunderbird

Jess :

Please download and install it

Jess :

Here is the link

Customer :

I looked at MOZ BACKUP and I found it wanting.

Jess :

Yeah... that is a better way of managing your TB emails, backup and restore

Customer :

Is it the only way?

Jess :

That is the quickest way

Customer :

I did check on mozbackup and I found it wanting.

Customer :

Well, we seem to be at an impasse. However, you do seem to have given me some kind of an answer.

Jess :

Another way of doing it is by manual copying of the the TB files

Customer :

That is what I did do, but I could not "import" them or merge them with a copy and have them be recognized by the other thunderbird system.

Jess :

Yeah... Please follow the following steps to do the manual copy procedures

Jess :

1. Open OE.
2. Click Tools
3. Click Account Settings
4. In the left panel, click Local Folders

Jess :

When that is done, in the right portion or panel, you should see LOCAL DIRECTORY

Customer :

What is "OE"?

Jess :

Please copy that complete PATH of your thunderbird's local directory. To copy, highlight the entire path using the left mouse button, then right click then COPY

Jess :

Oh... I'm sorry... I mean TB (Thunderbird), not OE

Customer :

Okay.

Jess :

When you successfully copied the path, click Start => RUN

Jess :

Or another way to open RUN is press and hold the Windows Logo key, then press the letter R

Jess :

When you are in the RUN dialog, PASTE the copied PATH there then click OK or press ENTER

Jess :

You should then get a Window containing all your Thunderbird files

Jess :

Please let me know when you are now viewing the Thunderbird files

Customer :

Yes. I see local folders and my mail.verizon.net ... which is what I want to save.

Jess :

Good...

Jess :

Now, do you see big files like INBOX, and others with same name as your mail folders in TB

Jess :

?

Customer :

No.

Jess :

OK.. So you have folders?

Jess :

Can you paste the PATH you have in TB here?

Jess :

Mine is: C:\Documents and Settings\Main Server\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\7xgpxcru.default\Mail\Local Folders

Jess :

And inside that folder, I have all my big INBOX, ARCHIVE files which serve as Thunderbird's email database

Customer :

C:\Documents and Settings\Justina Johnson\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\pswi8qxn.default\Mail\Local Folders

Jess :

Ok... Do you see a lot of big files there when you go to that PATH?

Customer :

Within the mail.verizon.net folder I see everything that I copied earlier in the week. However, when I bring up Thunderbird, they are not accessible.

Customer :

In Local folders, I see stuff from over a year ago that also does not display when I bring up Thunderbird.

Customer :

I got a whole bunch of xxxxxx that does not display.

Jess :

OK... Did you copied these files to the same folder of the other computer?

Customer :

I copied these folders from the usb hard drive. I copied from my other computer that has now crashed and I was hoping to have access to the copies on my notebook.

Customer :

Plus I wanted to refine my backup routine.

Customer :

The files on the usb hard drive are from my other computer that crashed last weekend.

Jess :

OK... You can use mozbackup for future backup

Jess :

Also, you can try to use mozbackup also to LOAD these copied files to the new computer

Customer :

I will give it a try.

Jess :

Do you have emails already setup in your new computer?

Customer :

The e-mail system was set up on my notebook for my vacation I took in December.

Customer :

You think I should back it up and re-install Thunderbird and try to get the new data on with Mozbackup?

Jess :

OK. This is what I think on loading your copied files from TB folder

Customer :

It is worth a try. If nothing else, I think my future backup strategies should be more reliable.

Jess :

1. Delete your EMAIL profile there. But make backup with mozbackup before you do so
2. Load everything from what you copied from the TB folder that crashed
3. It should recreate your old email accounts and settings

Customer :

Okay. I think we are done. I will accept. I thank you for your patience and tenacity.

Jess :

OK.. Here are useful links for your reference...

Customer :

If I execute the "SAVE & EXIT" will the "ACCEPT" disappear?

Customer :

VIce versa, too?

Jess :

Please click the ACCEPT button to accept my answer.

Customer :

I hope the tip got processed.

Jess, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Computer Hardware & Software Specialist - 10yrs Exp, Web Designer & Developer