DRobertson
DRobertson, Consultant / Technician
Experience:  MCTS, MCDST, MCP, A+, Network+, 20+ years in IT. Support for OEMs. Computer repair business owner.

Received error 0xe0ef0003

Received error 0xe0ef0003
Category: Computer
Expert:  DRobertson replied 3 years ago.

Intro:

Hi and thanks for writing us here at JustAnswer.com. Please know that to resolve your question may take some back and forth questions and answers.

We are here to help and will do our best to resolve your issue; we are not here to just make money. Also note that we do NOT work for any company and in no way represent them on their products and/or services.

-----------------------------------------------

Good day.

I saw your posting and would like to try and help.

The error code in question can actually point to several different "root" causes on the system.

Let me ask, do I understand correctly that you can actually boot to the "Ctrl+Alt+Del" to go into Windows, but then the only point that occurs is the unit reboots?

Thanks.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I cannot connect to the computer which is less than four months old. I probably got a virus, even with Norton Virus program. Anyway, because I kept getting booted off the computer during the last two weeks, I tried to restore it to an earlier restore point, only to get several messages about not being able to reboot the computer correctly or starting Windows correctly. I then decided to backup my computer's files and return the computer to it's factory state. I made sure nothing was connected other than the keyboard and monitor, and pressed the enter key. Boom...I got the message: 0xe0ef0003 and cannot connect. When I turn the computer on: BOOTMGR is missing. PressCtrl+Alt+Del. When I do, nothing happens accept the same message repeats over and over. I'm using another device to use my email.

Ok, and great job on the info!

There is a major point in this new info: "... BOOTMGR is missing ..."

That is a major clue to whats going on and what we need to try for this.

Now the next question is important:

Did the CDs come with the computer or did you make those yourself from that same system?

If the above is that you made those CDs, then when you turn on the system, do you see a key, like F11 for Restore?

If you do see a certain key for restore or such, and you tap on that key, what do you see happen?

Thanks.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I made the CDs myself. I did what you suggested and pressed the F11 button. I'm now at the screen that offers three choices: I need help immediately--I can select SYSTEM RECOVERY only OR I'd like to identify any problems --I can select RUN COMPUTER CHECKUP only OR I'd like to take precautions--nothing is offered.

Ok, yes, lets choose "System Recovery".

I will be here for any questions.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I tried SYSTEM RECOVERY again. The screen said the computer would return to it's original factory state. The Recovery Manager would reset the computer...Factory image restore...Reinstalling original software. Then, I get the original message that sent me to JustAnswer: Recovery Manager could not restore your computer using the factory image. Pls contact HP support. Error code: 0xe0ef0003.

Ok and thank you.

Sometimes I have to double check and also try items to make sure of certain factors. I state such because some indications were that custom made CDs had this issue when trying to restore. I was hoping this was that sort of issue. I state such because many indicate that this issue otherwise could be a bad motherboard.

Now before we start stating that the motherboard is the issue, let me ask some questions:

What was the original issue that had you wanting to restore the unit?

If this was the original issue, then when did this start in regards XXXXX XXXXX frame?

Since this issue started, has the unit worked correctly ever again?

I will advise more based on your feedback. Also, Lets do the F11 again and this time choose "RUN COMPUTER CHECKUP". Lets have that run and see if the diagnostics point to anything.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I selected RUN COMPUTER CHECKUP and then chose Hardware Diagnostic Tools. The BASIC TEST started. The Hard Drive Smart tests passed. The CPU processor tests passed. The System Memory did not pass as follows:
The auxiliary pattern failed. All the other memory tests passed: address, bit high, bit low, checkerboard, nibble, walking one left, walking one right, advanced pattern, modulo20, and moving inversion.

What do suggest next?

Will this is a good and bad point.

Ok, so we have bad memory in the system. Although this is bad in of itself, this does also have a good side.

You will have to replace the computer memory to get up and running. The computer memory - relatively speaking, is inexpensive. Thats the good part - if this had been the motherboard, you probably would have been at a point where replacing the whole unit would have been cheaper then just the motherboard.

What is the make and model and I will check on some factors for you. Also, based on some info, I maybe able to get you running again, until you replace the memory.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i'm checking now. Will add reply when I have info.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
HP Pavilion 6000 series, model p6597c. This is what I have.

Ok, this is a major plus.

Ok, how do you feel about opening the unit?

Thanks.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'm not too good about things like that...I can type well but my computer knowledge is real low...I'm afraid. But I'm willing to try.

Ok and thank you. A willingness to try is always a plus in life, not just computers.

Read this first before you try:

What I am going to have you do will not damage your computer. Take your time and be tentive, but do not think that one wrong slip will mean no computer at all.

What we are going to do (overview) is open the side of the case and then look to see if you have one or two sticks of memory. If you have two then we are going to try one at a time and see if we can track down which is the "bad" stick.

So lets totally power off the system.

Now you are going to disconnect all cords (make note of where the plug into), EXCEPT for the power cord. Yo want to have that stayed plugged in so that the unit will be grounded for static electricity.

Now one side of the unit will open. Usually (looking from the front) the left hand side. You usually will find one thumb screw at the back of the case for that side panel. Unscrew that thumbscrew and then pull toward the back on the panel. The panel should "pop" out easily.

Now lets look inside.

I need you to find the large main board (motherboard). On that board you will be looking for the memory sticks:

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Now what we need to see is if you have one of these or two?

I will await your response and thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Okay, I'll begin the operation. Will let you know what I discover.
Sure and thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I need to get the right kind of screwdriver...will look in my husband's toolbox.

Take your time. I am here to help, not make you feel pressured.

thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Forgive me, but what kind of tool do I need to open this? The flathead didn't work nor did the phillips. Maybe I just need to use more pressure. Thanks for your patience...I'll get through this I'm sure. I'll get right back to you.

Let me ask, did the unit have a thumb screw(s)?

If yes, and you unscrewed those, then the case should slide toward the back. I have seen them become very "stuck" in place. So a good pull maybe required.

Also, what is the make and model of the unit?

Thanks.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The make and model is HP Pavilion 6000 Series, p6597c
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It's opened...yeah, but there are a lot of wires and things. I don't see the two things you refer to. Is the color the same?

I apologize, I saw that I had already asked such after I responded.

I looked and found this:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01859455.pdf

Look under the area for replacing memory and you will see how they get the panel open.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Do the memory sticks look like the ones in your illustration?

They can vary some, but they will all be long and such and look basically like that pic.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I can't tell what to look for...lots of wires and chip-things...nothing looks like the illustration. Can you suggest where to look?

Ok, on the motherboard, they will (on most) run up and down (NOT left and right). You should see a fan on the motherboard. Usually, on most, they will be very close to this spot.

They will have white tabs on each side of the stick holding them into the motherboard.

Ask if still unable to locate and I will help all I can.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I located the fan. I counted 13 of these tabs, located in no particular pattern, positioned very close to the fan, partiicularly around the bottom and right side of the fan. I do not see any other rectangular tabs on the motherboard.

Lets go to this web site addy:

http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=Dimension%204500%20Series

The page itself for memory is not important. On the right hand side of the page, about half way down is a video link that shows you about the memory sticks.

Lets view that video and see if this does not help you know what your looking at and for.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The video helped, thank you. Now I can see that I have three memory board sticks that are approximately six inches each in length.

Ok, so you have three. Great job!

What we are going to do, is remove one at a time. When you remove one, you will then hook up all your cables and power up the system. We want to see if the error goes away. When the error goes away, then that was the bad stick of memory.

Now when you remove one, before you go to the next, you need to place back in the one you had previously pulled out.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Okay, I think this will take some time. Should I replace the case while testing each stick as well or can I leave it unopened?

You can leave that off.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Once I find the bad memory stick, is there a way to continue to operate my computer until I get a new stick; also will this resolve my initial error code?

Yes, I do believe the error code is direct from this "bad" memory stick.

Also, yes, the system will work fine without the one stick. You will have less memory in the system, which will make the unit slower, but otherwise, all should work.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I tested all three sticks; it seems that only the top stick works. The second and third do not work. I could run F11 while the second stick was removed and the first and third sticks were in. I could not run F11 with the first stick removed with the second and third sticks in. I could not run F11 while the third stick was removed with the first and second sticks in. Would you recommend two sticks be purchased to resove this problem that I have?

Good morning.

I understand what you have wrote and want to thank you. I can only imagine how frustrating this can be for you.

Ok, I am going to have to ask you to "jump thru more hoops" to track down for sure this issue.

I need you to mark those sticks in some way - 1,2,3. A piece of tape, a black marker, etc.

Now what we need to do is try all three sticks in all three slots. Sticks 1,2,3 in slot 1. Sticks 1,2,3 in slot 2, etc.

What we are trying to determine, is if the slots themselves are out or the sticks.

Take your time and I will be here all day if you have any questions.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

You are right, I got tired and frustrated with my computer. After doing all that you outlined for me, my computer started beeping (one long beep followed by one short beep). I finally called HP because I didn't know what was going on. It turned our that of all the machines out there, we have one that is what I would call a "dud." It appears after their diagnostics with me, not only are all three memory boards "bad," but the slots they go in are not good too (i.e. the motherboard). So, I found out the computer was still under warranty and there is no charge to us. I'll be without the computer for three weeks max (including shipping time).

Thank you for your time....many long hours spent....and now no computer for most of February.

I am relieved to know that HP is taking care of their warranty and such. I am sadden by how long the time will be for turn around on the repair - however, I have worked with them many times, and that time frame is normal.

I know the god Lord has a reason for everything and I am sure this is no different. Even of sometimes we do not understand why.

Have a blessed day.

DRobertson, Consultant / Technician
Experience: MCTS, MCDST, MCP, A+, Network+, 20+ years in IT. Support for OEMs. Computer repair business owner.