Barun
Barun, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience in providing support for tech-related issues, including computers, email and software.
12615041

I am not able to open an attached photo in my email. The file

I am not able to open an attached photo in my email. The file comes through as a photo.JPG but can't be opened. I get an error message when I try to open it & also if I try to "preview" it. I used to be able to open them so I don't know what has happened.
Hi, and thanks for using JustAnswer.

Are you using any email program, i.e. Outlook, Windows Mail, to access your emails? What's the exact error message you get when trying to open up the photo? Also, are you using Windows XP/Vista/7?

Regards
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I use Outlook 2010; When I try to open it I get: "Cannot create file: photo.JPG. Right click on the folder you want to create the file in then click on properties on the shosrtcut menue to check permissions for the folder" When I try to "preview" it I get "file cannot be previewed. Try opening the file in the program which it was created" or " error in Microsoft Outlook Image Previewer"
Okay; could you try saving the photo attachment to your system first, then opening it up?

Regards
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I tried that, says "cannot save attachment" then says "cannot create file ....as I sent you before.
I see, and I assume this issue has been this way from the start? Or did it start occurring recently?

Regards
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I was previously able to open these attachments, but for the last few weeks have not been able to do so.
All right. Now, are you using Windows XP/Vista/7?

Regards
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Windows 7
Okay. Now, please carry out the following steps:

1. Click Start > Computer, and then double-click drive C.
  2. Right-click and create a new folder there.
  3. Name the folder temp0.
  4. Click Start, type regedit, and then press ENTER.
  5. Locate and then click the following registry key:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Outlook\Security\
  6. In the right pane, double-click OutlookSecureTempFolder.
  7. In the Value Data field, type C:\temp0\ and then click OK.
  8. Exit Registry Editor.
  9. Restart the computer.

Let me know if this resolves your issue with Outlook.

Regards