John, Computer Specialist
Experience:  MCP, RHCE
50152684

I want to take my computer back to Factory Settings

Category: Computer
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.

cyball83 :

Hello my name is John

Welcome to just answer

cyball83 :

please come to this chat so that i can help you

cyball83 :

please provide the service tag number

Customer : (NNN) NNN-NNNN420
cyball83 :

that is not the service tag number

cyball83 :

its also know as express code

Customer :

that is the number i got when I asked my Question two minutes ago

cyball83 :

is this a laptop or desktop?

Customer :

laptop

cyball83 :

ok look under the laptop for Service Tag number or Express Code (or both) its on a sticker.please let me know

Customer :

BN444L1?

Customer :

25342238773

cyball83 :

Thank you for the Information.Is this a Studio Laptop 1745

Customer :

i SEE

Customer :

'STUDIO"

Customer :

BUT NO #

cyball83 :

what's the model name of the Laptop?

Customer :

I do not see anything else than "Studio"... does T6600 mean anything?

cyball83 :

that seems to be processor number please look under the laptop for full model number

Customer :

STUDIO 17/1745?

cyball83 :

ok that's the same model i gave you

Customer :

SORRY....I wish I was more help here

cyball83 :

its ok

cyball83 :

Are you chatting from the same computer you want to recover it to factory settings

Customer :

Yes....I had a virus on my computer... I managed to get my Documents saved on a Flash Drive... then re-installed Windows 7 from the CD I got when I bought the Laptop... E-Drive was created and now I can not download anythin... it says my E-Drive does not have enough space... and nothing wants to download to the C-Drive... I do show 2 operation systems... both Windows 7 ... so now I just want to go back to Factory Settings

cyball83 :

which was the Operating System loaded when you bought the Laptop(I believe its Windows vista)

Customer :

no...windows 7

cyball83 :

i mean when you bought the Laptop

Customer :

I bought the Laptop with Windows 7... I never had anything else on here.... no XP... no Vista........when the computer starts up it gives me a choice "Windows 7" or "Windows 7"

cyball83 :

ok

Customer :

....I had a virus on my computer... I managed to get my Documents saved on a Flash Drive... then re-installed Windows 7 from the CD I got when I bought the Laptop... E-Drive was created and now I can not download anythin... it says my E-Drive does not have enough space... and nothing wants to download to the C-Drive... I do show 2 operation systems... both Windows 7 ... so now I just want to go back to Factory Settings

cyball83 :

how many partition do you have Like C, D etc

Customer :

3... C:,E: and D: (BD Rom)

cyball83 :

ok so i believe E is the recovery partition

Customer :

yes

Customer :

no more space available on E

cyball83 :

ok

cyball83 :

do you have another computer so that you can chat from that and do the recovery process at the same time or you just want the instructions to do the recovery procedure

Customer :

I do not have access to another computer... hopefully the instructions work for me..

cyball83 :

ok one moment please

Customer :

ok....thanks for your patience

cyball83 :

Its ok sir

Customer :

I hope you have not sent me anything yet... I do not see anything from you ... and my screen keep jumping up and down by itself...

cyball83 :

Restart the computer. When the Dell logo appears, press <F8> Repeatedly to access the Advanced Boot Options window.
Select Repair Your Computer
The System Recovery Options window appears.
Select a keyboard layout and click Next.

Customer :

is that it?

cyball83 :

one moement please

cyball83 :

To access the recovery options, log on as a local user. To access the command prompt, type administrator in the User name field, then click OK.

cyball83 :

Click Dell Factory Image Restore.

cyball83 :

Now The Dell Factory Image Restore welcome screen appears.

cyball83 :

Click Next.

cyball83 :

The Confirm Data Deletion screen appears.

cyball83 :

Click the check box to confirm that you want to continue reformatting the hard drive and restoring the system software to the factory condition, and then click Next.

cyball83 :

The restore process begins and may take five or more minutes to complete. A message appears when the operating system and factory-installed applications have been restored to factory condition.

Once its done Click Finish to reboot the system.

cyball83 :

Then comes the installation and and configuring part which will take almost 1hr

cyball83 :

Do you have the recovery disc with you

Customer :

Reinstallation DVD Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit.....?

cyball83 :

is that whats written in the disc

Customer :

yes

cyball83 :

how many discs are there?

Customer :

1 .... I have a brand new Windows 7 Home Premium disc also...32 bit and 64bit software in the same box

Customer :

there is another disc that came with the computer that says... DRIVERS AND UTILITIES

cyball83 :

did you got this Windows 7 disc when you bought the Pc?

Customer :

The re-installation cd and the drivers and utilities cd came with the computer.... the other windows 7 I bought today to try and fix this problem

cyball83 :

ok

Customer :

do I need anything else?

cyball83 :

my question is did you get windows 7 disc when you bought the laptop.because when i check your pc configuration it shows windows vista that's why i asked whether it was preloaded with windows Vista when you bought it

Customer :

i bought it with windows 7

Customer :

for christmas 2009

Customer :

windows 7 just came out

Customer :

i bought online

Customer :

from DELL

cyball83 :

see the problem is if it was loaded with vista the recovery process from the partition will load only vista and factory settings

cyball83 :

other wise you have load the Windows 7 from the disc

Customer :

I understand

Customer :

how can I contact you if this does not work?

cyball83 :

one moment please i will give the instruction to load from the disc

Customer :

ok

cyball83 :

Insert the Operating System disc.Restart the computer
When the DELL logo appears, press F12 immediately.
If you wait too long and the operating system logo appears, continue to wait until you see the Microsoft® Windows® desktop; then, shut down your computer and try again.
When the boot device list appears, highlight CD/DVD/CD-RW Drive and press <Enter>
Press any key to Boot from CD-ROM.
Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the installation.

cyball83 :

that should do the installation from the disc

cyball83 :

Please bookmark/add to favorites this page so that you can connect back to this chat

cyball83 :

did you get it

Customer :

yes

Customer :

thanks

cyball83 :

If your doubts has been cleared please don’t forget to click ACCEPT & leave a POSITIVE Feedback and some Bonus will be well appreciated.

cyball83 :

That’s the only way i get paid for the services that I have provided to you

Customer :

thanks for all the help

John, Computer Specialist
Experience: MCP, RHCE