Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

I have a Acer Aspire T180 and it will not start. I tried to

I have a Acer Aspire T180 and it will not start. I tried to hold down the start button for 30 seconds and then powered the computer up but it would not go on, the only lights on the computer that flashed with the red & green light on the top of the computer on the right hand top side and the red light under the drive in the front. Help!

XXXXX XXXXXberg
Category: Computer
Expert:  Andy replied 3 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer !! I am Andy and I will be glad to help you out with your issue today.

Please answer all of these questions :

1. Is the monitor screen totally black always and not even the boot up screen comes on ?
2. Does your CPU cabinet's LEDs turns on and blinks. Or does your computer remains shuts down (dead).
3. What is the status of the LED on the monitor before and after your turn on the power on tower.
4. Do you get any message on the screen like "No Signal" or anything at all.
5. Does the Fan on the back of the tower turns on. And does it remains on or turns off in some time.
6. How and when did this problem begun

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

1. The monitor screen is black initially when I would turn the computer on then you will see windows vista on the screen to turn on the computer.

2.Blinks

3.when i turn on the monitor the green light goes on blinks for a second or 2 and stays green.

4. no message

5.The fan would normally turn on when powering up computer,stays on for a while and I really haven't paid attention if it stays on or off.

6. The other nite I was going into netzero and waiting for the conmputer to what ever it meeds to do to get into net zero,I walked away from the computer for a minute or 2 and the screen was blank and the computer was off. Tried to turn on computer but nothing happened

Expert:  Andy replied 3 years ago.

You said that the computer turns on and you can see Windows Vista loading, am I correct ?

So does the computer shuts down before Vista boots completely ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No. Right now the computer seems to not receiving any power the screen is blank and the red and green lights on the top of the computer blink BUT NOTHING ELSE HAPPENS BLANK SCREEN> THE ON/OFF BUTTON WOULD TURN GREEN< NOW IT DOES NOT>. Before this happened, the computer would turn on when I pushed the power button to on,the windows vista wlould come on and the computer would start to go tot the desktop screen.
Expert:  Andy replied 3 years ago.

Now there are many possible things that might have taken place. I will walk you through them and try to figure out whats wrong.

Try One by One, until your comp works:

1. Observe the power supply cable properly (smell it) to see if its sockets are damaged. If yes, replace it.

2. Try to plug in the power cord of your desktop into some other socket in your house. Now see if your PC is working.

3. Does the Fan in the power supply unit in tower turns on. If not, maybe your power supply (its a box inside your CPU cabinet) fuse has blown. Or maybe more damage is done to the power supply. So, you either need to replace the fuse (see if its burnt) or else replace the power supply. (you can buy online)

4. Its possible that the CMOS battery has gone dead. its a button type battery on motherboard. Replace it and hopefully it will sove your problems.

You will have to shut down computer. Open up the tower casing. Look up the motherboard. Use blower to clean up all dust. You will find a battery as shown below:

You can buy it at any electronic / computer store.

5. Reinsert the RAM modules located on motherboard.

6. If this does not work than damage is done to your motherboard or RAM or Graphics card or some other card and it needs to be repaired or replaced.

Feel free to ask any question or concern you may have. I will be glad to help you.

Please click "ACCEPT" so that I get paid.

(You need to click ACCEPT even if you are a SUBSCRIPTION or TRIAL member)

Positive Feedback and BONUS are always appreciated.

Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience: 11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO