Sibu
Sibu, Support Specialist
Experience:  BTech(IT)
32381537

My computer goes into sleep mode or turns off after being idle

Customer Question

My computer goes into sleep mode or turns off after being idle for a while and I have to press the on button and completely start the computer again. I have control panel set to never use sleep mode or turn computer off.

Why does this happen and how can I fix it?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Sibu replied 3 years ago.

Sibu :

Hello, Welcome To JustAnswer Thanks & Regards Sibu

Sibu :

which operating system you are using ?

Customer :

Windows Vista

Sibu :

okay

Customer :

do you have an answer for me?

Sibu :

goto Start>>Control Panel

Sibu :

click classic view

Sibu :

double click power options

Customer :

Okay

Sibu :

which power plan is selected there ?

Customer :

balanced

Sibu :

under balance click change plan setting

Customer :

done

Sibu :

there change sleep time

Sibu :

to never

Sibu :

and turn off display to never

Customer :

I already have it set to never.

Sibu :

ok

Sibu :

click change advanced power setting

Customer :

My computer is set to thee settings. It still turns off.

Sibu :

click change advanced power setting

Sibu :

there change the hard disk power off time

Customer :

in advanced setting

Customer :

what do I set it to?

Sibu :

yes

Sibu :

change hard disk time to never

Sibu :

brb

Customer :

There isn't a "never" setting. Just minutes

Customer :

Under "sleep" setting is "never"

Customer :

Need time out...be back in a jiffy

Customer :

are you still there??

Customer :

I'm back

Customer :

Sibu, you won't earn a bonus with this lack of response. It's been over 15 minutes since you responded.

Sibu :

yes ..I w as on a call

Sibu :

increase the minutes upto 60

Sibu :

click Ok

Sibu :

then check again

Customer :

I'm sorry I didn't notice you were back. I set it at 60,000. Is that what you mean? That would set it at a 10 hour turn off, wouldn't it or am I looking at it incorrectly?

Sibu :

yes that is fine

Customer :

Check power options again. Sleep setting went back to never as before.

Customer :

and minutes set at "0"

Sibu :

change minute to 60

Customer :

ok

Customer :

did that. now what? 60 minutes means the computer turns off after an hour? I don't want that. I want it to stay on until I turn it off.

Sibu :

no

Sibu :

if it remains idle for 60 min

Customer :

what do you mean "now" and "if it remains idle for 60 minutes"

Customer :

I meant, what do you mean "no"

Sibu :

ok sir ..If you keep idle the computer 60 min or what ever you set there ...hard disk will shut off

Sibu :

after that period

Customer :

So, if I set it to 60,000 minutes, will it stay on for 10 hours? I did change the settings, but after I clicked "ok" and went back, the setting ws back to never and "0" minutes. BTW, it's "ma'am" and not "sir" <G>

Sibu :

no 1000 hrs

Sibu :

for 10 hrs set 600

Customer :

ok

Sibu :

yes

Customer :

never was good at math! BTW, USB Selective suspend settings...should this be set to "enabled"?

Sibu :

yes ...

Sibu :

but not related to main problem

Customer :

It was set to "disenable" I change it to "enable". What is main problem....sleep setting?

Sibu :

during sleep

Customer :

Checked settings. It's holding at 600 minutes and to sleep after 10 hours.

Sibu :

the USB ports will get power or not

Customer :

What do I need to do to USB ports? What does that mean the "USB ports willl power or not. I'm not a computer expert.

Sibu :

ok

Sibu :

then leave it ...its a bit technical not related to ur main problem

Customer :

okay...but main problem is???

Sibu :

change the power setting to 600

Sibu :

and press Ok

Sibu :

and check by giving computer time for idle

Customer :

And if this doesn't work I'll be back in here with you or someone else. Is there a reference number, etc. to this chat session?

Sibu :

http://www.justanswer.com/computer/4hagh-computer-goes-sleep-mode-turns-off-idle.html

Sibu :

reply to above link

Customer :

copied the link.

Sibu :

ok

Customer :

when do I accept before or after idle time is checked?

Sibu :

after check you can do it

Customer :

Thanks. Shall I exit now?

Sibu :

yes

Customer :

goodbye.

Sibu :

bye