Benjamin S
Benjamin S, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  10 years building and repairing computers. My MS certifications include XP, Vista, Win7, MCSA.
38135990

How can I transfer pictures on a CD-R disc to an SD Card using

Customer Question

How can I transfer pictures on a CD-R disc to an SD Card using my HP laptop running Windows XP
Category: Computer
Expert:  Benjamin S replied 3 years ago.

Benjamin S :

Thank you for using JustAnswer, my name is Benjamin.

Customer :

Hello Ben: What commands do I need to get this done?

Benjamin S :

The easiest way to do this would be to use Windows XP's built in CD recording software.

Benjamin S :

You can drag the files you want from the SD card to the CD writer.

Benjamin S :

They will collect there until you have all the files you want.

Benjamin S :

Once you have all the files you want there, you can burn the disc to place the files on the CD.

Customer :

Ben: I am trying to go the other direction, from a set of pictures on the CD to a blank SD Card

Benjamin S :

Alright, sorry about the confusion.

Benjamin S :

In that case it is even a little easier.

Benjamin S :

Open your Windows Explorer by double clicking your My Computer.

Benjamin S :

Which drives do you see there? Is there one with a picture of an SD card?

Customer :

I had done this step and it only shows the CD

Benjamin S :

Is this a new SD card, or what device did the card come out of?

Customer :

This is a new blank SD Card

Benjamin S :

If may need to be formatted, then.

Benjamin S :

Right click on My Computer and click on Manage.

Benjamin S :

On the left hand side of the window that comes up, click on Disk Management.

Customer :

Can I do this and stay online with you?

Benjamin S :

Yes, you can.

Benjamin S :

We will be formatting the SD card, and need to be careful not to format the C: drive.

Customer :

Ok I have opened the disk management, it shows the cd title and c-drive both healthy

Benjamin S :

On the bottom part of the screen do you see any others?

Customer :

No others just the disc o and cd rom o

Benjamin S :

Alright, you said you placed the SD card into the computer. Can you push it in any farther? Did it click into place when you put it in?

Customer :

Just reinserted with a click but the machine doesn't seem to recognize it, same display on the disc management window

Benjamin S :

Press F5 to see if the computer now sees it.

Customer :

Ben I pressed f5 and it tried to close the chat!!

Benjamin S :

I'm sorry.

Benjamin S :

Click in the Disk Management window, and press F5.

Customer :

Clicked f5 while in the Disk Management window and nothing appears to happen.

Benjamin S :

Let's click on Device Manager in the same window, on the left. Do you see any icons with a yellow triangle next to them?

Customer :

No yellow triangles under Device Manager

Benjamin S :

What is the model of your HP laptop?

Benjamin S :

We may need to reinstall the drivers for the SD card reader. Have you been able to see files on an SD card before?

Customer :

Compaq nc6230

Customer :

We have installed & viewed photos from an SD card in Picassa

Benjamin S :

Do you have that SD card handy? Can you verify that the reader is still working?

Customer :

It'll take a minute...I'll try

Customer :

Inserted SD card from camera. Get a window that asks what we want windows to do...several options follow. Wonder if the 4GB card is too large for this laptop?

Customer :

Notice on 4GB packaging card is compatible with SDHC devices only?

Benjamin S :

Let me lookup your computer, it is possible it just doesn't know how to read it.

Customer :

Computer is marked SD.SC and SD card is marked SD.HC (high capacity I assume). Could this be the problem?

Benjamin S :

HP does have a driver that you can download to see if this may solve your problem.

Benjamin S :

Try running those two drivers and restart the computer if asked.

Customer :

Appears the HC card is not compatible with this laptop. When other SD cards are inserted, there is a "dinging" sound. When HC card is inserted, no dinging sound. We are under a time constraint at the moment and need to work on this issue later. Appreciate your assistance and when we get back to this, how do we get back in touch with you to see if we can resolve this issue?

Benjamin S :

You can come back to this conversation and begin typing.

Customer :

OK, thanks.

Benjamin S :

You're welcome. Have a good day.