Bernie, Computer Specialist
Experience:  6+ years experience, Microsoft MCDST/CompTia A+ Certified

how do I get an ip address for my new kindle

how do I get an ip address
for my new kindle
Hi there, welcome to JustAnswer.

Are you trying to connect your kindle to the wireless network?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
how do i get network information for my net kindle
Absolutely, the Kindle will automatically search for nearby wireless networks and display them for you so that you can connect to them, please click the link below to view a video on how to do this:
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
that didnl't anwser my question. It still wants network information
I see, it's asking for the ip address or the password?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

If you don't know the correct password, you'll need to reset your router to clear that from your wireless network so that you can connect your kindle to it.

However, we can also use software to extract the wireless key (password) to get your Kindle connected, it just depends on your operating system.

Is the computer you're using now connected to the same wireless network and also which operating system is it running (XP, Vista, 7)?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
I just need help in connecting my kindle to the internet.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I am using a toshbia that is using xp

Thank you. Yes, to connect your Kindle to the internet you need to know the wireless password, if you don't we need to reset your router. Since you have XP unfortunately we won't be able to use that software to extract it.

To confirm, when you try to connect to your wireless network from the list that the Kindle shows you it finds, and it asks you for a password, do you know that password?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
my kindle keeps saying that my wifi connection failed
Hmm...sorry to hear that

Just a few more questions on my side:

Is this a home network, or are you out and about with your Kindle at a public place?

Does your Toshiba laptop connect wirelessly to the internet through your wifi ok?

(If this is a home network) what is the model of your router?

I appreciate your patience - I'll stand by.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
out and about with my kindle in publid. yes & no. I have a new gateway router
I see, you might be choosing the wrong public network, can you try some diffrent ones too - Also please make sure you are you sure you are in a place that offers free wifi, many places don't. Please also check this:

1. Check battery (if low, charge before completing following steps).
  2. Check that wireless is enabled (Press Menu then Turn Wireless On).
  3. Check for wireless strength.
  4. Check "All My Items."
  5. Check wireless coverage map. if you are using the Kindle Global model
  6. Try restarting Kindle by pressing Home > Menu > Settings > Menu and select "Restart."
  7. Sync and check for items

If none of those work, often a person woking there will have the information you need (like the barista at starbucks, librarian at library, front desk at hotel lobby, etc).
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

it didn't work.

Are you at a public wifi spot? Is there someone there you can ask - please double check. Starbucks offers free wifi for example.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No I am a home
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am using my laptop using xp
Ok, and your toshiba laptop, that works on your wireless network correct?

Also, have the Kindle scan for wireless networks and pick your network (please let me know if you're not sure which one is yours, it's safe to say it's probably the one with the strongest signal). When you do that, and enter your password, you still get the wifi failed message like you did when out and about?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

it still is staying unable to connect to Wi Fi Network

Ok we need to reset the router and set it back up. Are you communicating with me throught the laptop? (If so, please connect it directly to your modem with an ethernet cable so that you don't lose this connection)
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It still is doing the same thing
Please leave this page open so that you can continue to follow the directions on it. Your wireless internet will stop working for a moment as it is re-initializing, I need you to do this manually from your end:

1. Make sure that your wireless router is turned on, then press the reset button on your router, this is usually on the back of the unit and is very small. Once you find it, use a pen or paper clip to press the button for 30 seconds

2. On the front of the router, wait until the lights stabalize to their usual patterns (about 1 minute). Please make sure that the WLAN light is on before continuing

3. Next, unplug the power cable on the back of your modem for about 10 seconds, then plug it back in. Please also make sure that the modem is also properly connected to the WAN or Internet port on the back of your router. Wait until the lights on your modem have stabalized to their usual patterns (about 1 minute) before continuing

4. Now, unplug the power cable from the back of your router for about 10 seconds, then plug it back it. Now please wait and let everything run for a few minutes before you proceed

5. Click Start on your computer

6. Select the run menu

7. Type ncpa.cpl

8. Press ok

9. Right click wireless connection (or similar) and select view available wireless networks

10. You will see all wireless networks in range, please right click your network (it will be name of manufacturer of router, like D-Link, Linksys, or Netgear) and select connect.

Please let me know if that lets you connect to the internet again

If it does, we will proceed to resetup the router and then connect your Kindle.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I went to my computer service tech preson; He said the reason why I having trouble with my kindle is because. I live up in the mountains, and I have to go down to Chico, to get service in order to subscribe to order to get good reception. I want to thank you for trying to help me MJ

I'm glad you were able to get that fixed - Please click Accept so that I'm acknowledged for helping you, thank you.