Bernie
Bernie, Computer Specialist
Experience:  6+ years experience, Microsoft MCDST/CompTia A+ Certified

My built-in mouse pad has stopped working on my Acer 1640.

My built-in mouse pad has stopped working on my Acer 1640. The external mouse works when plugged into the laptop, but I need the USB port for my modem. I have 7 port USB Hub, but when the mouse is plugged in there it no longer works. Can you help please?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Bernie replied 3 years ago.
Hi there, welcome to JustAnswer.

Sounds like the touchpad has been disabled, please try this:

Click Start > Control Panel > Make sure to be in classic view (Click the link if it shows classic view on the left task pane) > Mouse > There should be a tab that corresponds to your touchpad, click it and make sure to enable the device.

You can also go to Start > Run > Type devmgmt.msc > Look for Mice and Other Pointing Devices and double click it > Make sure to right click your touchpad device and enable it if it is not

Let me know if you have any questions and keep me updated.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The only two options to click on in the Device Manager folder are HID compliant mouse and P5/2 Compatible Mouse - are either of these the touchpad mouse?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have tried both suggestions. In the first case there was not tab for the touchpad.

In the second case, there are two options - HID-compliant mouse and P5/2 Compatible Mouse - neither are highlighted. If I click on either of them a red cross appears on the toolbar. Are either of these the touchpad mouse?

Expert:  Bernie replied 3 years ago.
It may be the ps/2 compatible mouse, as touchpads are listed that way sometimes. Could you right click it and select enable?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It says device is working properly. Also, I have just identified the P5/2 (or PS/2) mouse as the external mouse which is working when plugged into the computer. It doesn't work in the 7 USB Port Hub. The touchpad doesn't work at all whether the external mouse is plugged in or not.

Expert:  Bernie replied 3 years ago.
I see, thank you for your patience, when did you first notice this issue?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

About week ago. As my external mouse was very old, I bought a new one thinking this would fix the problem. The new mouse is a Microsoft basic optimal mouse which works OK plugged in to the laptop.

The problem is that I need the two USB port on my laptop for my USB ADSL connection and the USB 7 Port HUB so that I can have connection to printer, scanner, etc. Therefore I need to plug the mouse into the HUB and when I do so it won't work.

As the internal touchpad mouse doesn't work at all, I can't do this. and then I am totally without a mouse.

Expert:  Bernie replied 3 years ago.
I see, yes that mouse does have to be plugged directly into the laptop because it sounds like you have a passive hub (doesn't have it's own power source).

Can you tell me the make and model of your computer? (Dell 3200 for example). You may find this information on the computer itself or by going to Start > run > Type msinfo32 > press ok
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My computer is an ACER Aspire 1640. The external mouse has worked intermitently plugged into the USB HUB when I first bought it.

Expert:  Bernie replied 3 years ago.
Try installing the touchpad driver for it here:

CLICK LINK

and see if it works (you have to right click it after it is downloaded and extract files, then look inside the extracted folder and look for the setup).

Edited by Computer Specialist on 1/14/2011 at 11:38 PM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you.

I have looked inside the extracted folder - but which setup file should I open?

There is a 'Setup InstallShield(R)Setup Launcher InstallShield Solftware Corporation file

and a Setup INX File and a Setup Configuration Settings File?

Expert:  Bernie replied 3 years ago.
No problem, hopefully this will fix it. The file you want is the setup installshield setup launcher.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Unfortunately this last attempt hasn't fixed the problem. The touchpad is shown to be working, but it isn't. I rebooted the computer.

Also the external mouse still won't work when plugged into the 7 Port USB Hub.

Is there anything else I can try?

Expert:  Bernie replied 3 years ago.
I'm sorry to hear that, I appreciate your patience. There are certainly some other things we can try, could you try plugging the external usb modem into the hub, does that still keep the internet going?

If that doesn't work, try this:

Click Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore > Then follow the prompts to choose a date when your touchpad was functioning and restart your computer (This is reversable as well, so if it still doesn't work, simply go back into system restore and undo it).
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I wasn't sure about the first option. The ADSL Model is attached by a usb cable to my computer usb port.

I tried system restore, but that didn't work either. I would like to restore it to today's date as my AVG security was only recently installed and it is now needing to be reinstated with the license number.

.

Can you help me restore the system to the current date before trying anything else?

Thanks.

Expert:  Bernie replied 3 years ago.
Sure, Click Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore > There be a link there to undo the last system restore, press that and let me know when that is finished
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The system has been restored. There is no change. What next?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is there anything else I can do? Or can the problem not be rectified?

Expert:  Bernie replied 3 years ago.
I'm very sorry, I meant to get back to you sooner, somehow I didn't see your last response. Unfortunately the touchpad is not going to work anymore...

The best way to get what you need is to acquire what is known as an active usb hub. The external mouse requires power, that's why it currently only works in the comptuer usb. However, witht he active usb hub, it has it's own plug in to a power source, so you'll be able to use the external mouse on that and keep the usb ports on your computer free for the network adapter.

http://www.amazon.com/Macally-TRIHUB7-Mini-Adapter-Black/dp/B001DBF07S/ref=dp_cp_ob_e_title_1

I apologize that we weren't able to get the touchpad going, (and I know I'm suggesting you to buy something else)...but we definitely diagnosed the touchpad thoroughly and it's out. If your laptop is still in warranty, I would definitely contact the manufacturer, however, if it isn't, you'll need to get that active usb hub to accomodate your setup.

Please don't hesitate to ask me any further questions on this I'm here to help. Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for this information. My laptop is almost 5 years old, so maybe that's the problem. But shouldn't the mouse plugged into the 7-Port HUB work?

If not, it means I have the 2 usb ports on my computer used up by the mouse and the ADSL usb cable (the ethernet cable gave out).

Then I don't have a spare port for the HUB which contains all my other devices (external hard drive, printer and scanner).

This means I can't have the internet running at the same time as printer and the external hard drive which is really inconvenient.

I probably need a new computer? What is your advice?

Expert:  Bernie replied 3 years ago.
Does the 7-port HUB you have contain a power plug that plugs into the wall?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes it does. It's plugged into a powerboard.

Expert:  Bernie replied 3 years ago.
I see, please completely disregard my instructions earlier on buying another hub, you do have an active hub with it's own power source...

You said the ADSL usb cable is now attached to your comptuer, would you be able to replace the ethernet cable so that you can also free up that one usb space for the hub? Ethernet cables are very very cheap, you can find one here for example:

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-A3L791-S-3-Foot-Snagless-Molded/dp/B00000JDF5/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1295062614&sr=8-8

Laptops generally last about 3-6 years, depending on the manufacturer, it does sound like your laptop is "nearing the end" so to speak, but, if usb is the only thing that's not working and you are satisfied with the performance of the laptop, you may just want to buy another hub (although, 2 hubs lying around I understand is also a bit inconvenient), but you can daisy chain the hubs.

If you're really thinking of getting a new laptop, I always recommend the Asus or Acer brand as they are good for the money/performance. Here is a great site that lists reviews on notebooks (laptops) made by experts and also listed by price range, it's one of the best sites by far for shopping for new electronics:

http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/
Bernie, Computer Specialist
Experience: 6+ years experience, Microsoft MCDST/CompTia A+ Certified
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you so much for this advice. I'm glad I don't have to buy a new computer just now. And I'm pleased that you recommend the Acer brand - I have been pleased with it. I may go and buy a new HUB and see if that fixes anything, although I have a feeling it won't!

Thank you for your help and your patience. I'm wondering if I can send this reply and hit the Accept Answer button as well.

Here goes.

Many thanks.