Bernie
Bernie, Computer Specialist
Experience:  6+ years experience, Microsoft MCDST/CompTia A+ Certified
46068869

Windows 7 64 bit, installshield wizard recently hangs up during

Windows 7 64 bit, installshield wizard recently hangs up during any new software install-- after many minutes, then I get an "Installer not responding message". I hit the try again button and same problem.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Bernie replied 3 years ago.
Hi there, welcome to JustAnswer.

There may be another program that is interfering with the installation, try this:

1. Click Start
2. Select Run
3. Type msconfig
4. Click the Boot tab (Please tell me if your msconfig doesn't show a Boot.ini tab, this means your MBR is corrupt)
5. Check the box that says safeboot
6. Select the network option
7. Press ok, then click the Restart button

*If you get any error messages, keep pressing ok until it prompts you to restart your computer

Log back in and install the program, if it works, here is how to get back to normal mode:

1. Click Start
2. Select Run
3. Type msconfig
4. Click the Boot.ini tab (Please tell me if your msconfig doesn't show a Boot.ini tab, this means your MBR is corrupt)
5. Uncheck the box that says /SAFEBOOT
6. Press ok
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I tried it; I get "The Windows Installer Service is not accesible in Safe Mode" message.

Nelson

Expert:  Bernie replied 3 years ago.
Please do this:

1. Click Start
2. Select Run
3. Type msconfig
5. Uncheck the box that says /SAFEBOOT
6. Press ok

Then log back in, and try this:

1. Click Start
2. Type msconfig in the search box
3. Press Enter on your keyboard
4. On the General Tab, click the Select Selective Startup Option
5. Click to clear the Load Startup Items check box
6. Select the Services tab
7. Check the Hide All Microsoft Services check box
8. Click the Disable All button on the lower right and press OK
9. When you are prompted to click Restart
10. Log into Windows and try to install the program again

*If that doesn't work, try this:

1. Click Start
2. Type msconfig in the search box
3. Press Enter on your keyboard
4. Click the startup tab
5. Press the disable all button
6. Press ok and restart your computer when prompted
7. Log into Windows and try to install the program again
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It did not work

Nelson

Expert:  Bernie replied 3 years ago.

Nelson, sorry to hear that, I believe this is an issue with the Installer service itself, lets continue and thank you for trying everything so far -

1. Click Start, type services.msc in the Search box, and then press Enter to open Services.
  2. Right-click the Windows Installer service, and then click Properties.
  3. If the Startup type box is set to Disabled, change it to Manual.
  4. Click OK to close the Properties window.
  5. Right-click the Windows Installer service, and then click Start. The service should start without errors.
  6. Try to install or to uninstall again.
If still no joy, can you tell me which program you are trying to install (and if this was downloaded from the internet)

Bernie, Computer Specialist
Experience: 6+ years experience, Microsoft MCDST/CompTia A+ Certified
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Guy;

I was able to fix the problem by running a repair tool that I downloaded from the net. However, because you tried your best, XXXXX XXXXX going to accept your answer.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Nelson