tbwhite2040
tbwhite2040, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  3+ years Computer Support Specialist County School System, 3+ years Networking Specialist

my acer aspire one laptop will not boot it goes to an acer

Customer Question

my acer aspire one laptop will not boot it goes to an acer logo screen and then to a black screen with a white flashing cursor in upper left hand corner. there is no disc drive i can get to F2 screen I cannot type please help it is only a year old
Category: Computer
Expert:  tbwhite2040 replied 3 years ago.

tbwhite2040 :

Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX X will assist you in finding an answer to your question.

Customer :

thanks

tbwhite2040 :

Restart the computer and start tapping the F8 key repeatedly and it should bring up the Advanced Boot Menu. Choose the Repair My Computer Option and press Enter. When it loads the system files and comes up to the install screen let me know

Customer :

nope already tried this i cannot get anything using f8

Customer :

i can only get to f2

Customer :

after i continually hit f8 it just starts beeping

Customer :

otherwise the screen stays black with the flashing white cursor

tbwhite2040 :

Try using the F10 button

Customer :

same thing

tbwhite2040 :

Restart the computer and start tapping the F11 key to see if you can get the Recovery option. This will reset the acer back to factory conditions

Customer :

f12 will bring up a screen that says boot manager with 1. IDE O:1655GSX and 2. Network Boot: Atheros boot agent

Customer :

nothing will comeup with f11

tbwhite2040 :

Try this. Unplug the power adapter and remove the battery. Then press and hold the power button down for about 1 minute and release it. Then plug just the power adapter in and press the button to allow the computer to come on. See if it boots normally

Customer :

okay doing it

tbwhite2040 :

ok

tbwhite2040 :

Do you have a recovery disc?

Customer :

it does the same thing

tbwhite2040 :

do you have a Windows 7 disc or a recovery disc?

Customer :

no i got no disc with computer it has no disc drive

Customer :

it is a netbook pc model # XXXXX acer aspire one

tbwhite2040 :

ok You will need a Windows 7 disc to fix the boot on your hard drive. You will need to download Imgbrn and burn an ISO image of the Windows 7 disc. Once you have the ISO image of the disc copy and save it to a flash drive. Then go into the BIOS and set the Boot from USB to be the first boot device under Boot Configuration. Then save the configuration and put the flash drive into the USB slot and restart the Acer. It should start loading files to install Windows 7. When you get to the install screen let me know

Customer :

where can i get a windows seven disc. could i download something on my other laptop online? Im not computer savy what is imgbrn and ISO?

Customer :

How do i go into bios f2?

tbwhite2040 :

Give me a second

Customer :

sure

tbwhite2040 :

Restart the computer and try pressing the ALT + F10 to bring up the recovery option. Let me know if it works

Customer :

it didn't work but the top of the screen where the cursor was blinking froze

tbwhite2040 :

give it a few minutes while I look up some more information

Customer :

sure

tbwhite2040 :

What is the exact model of the acer aspire?

Customer :

KAV60

Customer :

notebook pc Aspire one

tbwhite2040 :

The only option I could find was to do as I suggested about the Flash drive. When your acer boots up to the splash screen do you see anything that says to enter setup or BIOS to press F2?

Customer :

yes real quick it goes to screen that says acer and on the bottom it says press f2 to enter setup and press f12to change boot order

tbwhite2040 :

When it says to press F2 during this post is how you get into the BIOS to change the boot order to boot from USB. Then press F10 to save the configuration

Customer :

boot priority order goes from 1-6 usb is #5

Customer :

what are you asking me to do?

tbwhite2040 :

Now an ISO image is an image of the operating system that Microsoft uses to install their operating system files onto the computer. Imgburn is a free program that you can use to create and ISO image of a disc such as Windows 7 and save it to a specific location on a hard drive or USB drive

tbwhite2040 :

I am just telling you about the BIOS and how to create an ISO image to fix your laptop

Customer :

can I download the Iso online somewhere

Customer :

how do i make usb #1 instead of 5

Customer :

nvermind i figured that out

tbwhite2040 :

I will give you a link to download the imgbrn program but you will need to find someone who has the same Windows 7 version as the one you have. Or you might be able to contact Acer to see if they will send you a recovery disc

Customer :

usb hdd i make 1st?

tbwhite2040 :

yes

Customer :

i have another acer with the same windows program could you explain in some easy steps what to do this acer also has no disc drive

Customer :

i bought 2 of these computeers for my kids last christmas and my sons is the one that crashed could i download something from my daughters to fix my sons?

tbwhite2040 :

Put the USB flash drive in the good acer and click Start-------All Programs------Maintenance------click on Create a System Repair Disc and follow the onscreen instructions. It should give you an option to choose the USB drive to save the repair disc to. Make sure the USB flash drive is completely empty before putting the repair disc onto it. Then put it in the bad acer and restart the bad acer with the USB drive in it and it should bring up the repair options after it loads system files

Customer :

cant find matinence

tbwhite2040 :

give me a second

tbwhite2040 :

When you click on the start button what do you see?

Customer :

i see all programs

tbwhite2040 :

click on all programs and tell me what you see

Customer :

accessories

Customer :

acer

Customer :

acersystem

Customer :

carbonite

Customer :

games

Customer :

etc

tbwhite2040 :

click on accessories and tell me what you see

Customer :

accesibility,communications,entainment, system tools,address book etc

tbwhite2040 :

click on System tools and tell me what you see

Customer :

character map,disc cleanup, disk defragmentor, files and settings transfer wizard,internet explorer system info system restore

tbwhite2040 :

go back to acer system and tell me what it says

Customer :

acer system user guide , acer system user quick guide

tbwhite2040 :

what about the acer

Customer :

under acer = acer erecovery management, acer vcm

tbwhite2040 :

click on the acer erecovery management and tell me what it says

Customer :

create factory default disc and create drivers and applications disc

tbwhite2040 :

click the create a factory default disc and tell me what options you have

Customer :

insert blank disc to begin burning 9 cds

tbwhite2040 :

does it give you an option to use a USB drive?

Customer :

no

tbwhite2040 :

This will not work unless you have an external DVD burner to burn the recovery discs with

Customer :

i dont ill have to borrow a friends so this is what i need to burn it is 5.07 will this give me what i need do you think it will work?

Customer :

so i can save this to disc and then hook it up to the acer that crased and load but i will have to boot from cdrom right?

tbwhite2040 :

yes this is correct

tbwhite2040 :

or boot from USB device first

Customer :

but i can't load it on usb flash drive

tbwhite2040 :

yes but the external dvd burner you use to burn the disc's with can be used on the bad acer to run the discs to fix the acer. Just set the BIOS to boot from USB device first

tbwhite2040 :

you understand

Customer :

okay i will try this hope it works but i won't know until the weekend thanks for all your patienceand help

tbwhite2040 :

you are welcome and if you have further questions or need more help let me know.

tbwhite2040 :

If you are satisifed with the help you have received please click Accept and leave positive feedback

Customer :

i installed the recovery cds sent to me by acer now upon booting I get the message grub rescue>

tbwhite2040 :

Were the recovery disc's that you received from Acer support your model number Acer?