Omer
Omer, Information Systems Manager
Experience:  MCSE Certified , Degree in CMIS Computer information Systems, 7 years of work in the IT Field
37817776

I am running Windows 7 with Office 7 and Adobe Acrobat 9.0.

I am running Windows 7 with Office 7 and Adobe Acrobat 9.0. I was very happily turning my emails into pdf portfolios with the buttons on the PDF Maker toolbar until I got an error message and the ribbon suddenly disappeared. The error message concerned the file, PDFMOutlook.dll. First I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Adobe Acrobat program. Not only did this not fix the problem, but after the reinstallation the PDFMOutlook.dll file disappeared. Investigating problems with this file online I came upon a site and followed a link which opened an outlook message that had the dll fine in it as an attachment - nothing else - no sender, receiver, date or subject - nothing. I copied it to put it back in the right path, but the @#$%! file was already back there! I later read in a chat discussion a complaint that Adobe Acrobat 9.0 is unstable, the example being that dll files disappear and reappear.

In any case, my research reveals that what I probably need to do is reregister the dll file. The problem is that although I am logged in as an administrator, I am getting the error code 0x80004005, which I understand to mean that I do not have administrative authority to do the registration. Since I've just recently recovered from a complete crash, I hate to employ a clean up software tool which might in fact make the problem worse, when all I want to do is deal with this one file. I would be very happy to receive any insight you could shed on this matter!
Thanks,
Cory
Category: Computer
Expert:  Omer replied 3 years ago.

Omer Mushahwar :

Hi I am one of the experts here on Just Answer.com

One thing I would like you to do is hit Start/Windows Icon in taskbar
Click All Programs
Click Accessories
Right Click on Command Prompt and Select Run as Administrator

Even though you are an administrator sometimes you have to do it this way to make sure your using the fully admin rights
Once the command prompt opens put in your regsvr command and you should be good to go please let me know if you have any issues with this

Customer :

Hi Omer:

Customer :

Thanks for your suggestion. I actually tried this before, but the person who posted this suggestion on the chat site neglected to mention that you had to right click the Command Prompt. When I did it your way, it brought up the system admin prompt and then when I entered the command I received a message that said the file was successfully registered. It did not fix my problem with the Adobe Acrobat PDF Maker ribbon missing from my Outlook, however. I rebooted to see if that would make the change kick in - it didn't. So, I'm back to square one with troubleshooting the problem with the missing PDF Maker buttons. Do you have any suggestions to bring back my PDF Maker functions in Outlook and the rest of Office 2007 Suite? Thanks, Cory

Omer Mushahwar :

Hi Cory ok sorry I thought your issue was just trying to get the dll registered so you are missing the pdf maker toolbar in outlook 2007?

In Outlook Choose Tools > Trust Center. Choose Add-Ins in the list on the left side of the Trust Center window. Choose Disabled Items in the Manage pop-up menu at the bottom of the Trust Center window. Click Go

Look in the Disabled Items list for Acrobat PDFMaker Office COM Add-In.
If Acrobat PDFMaker Office COM Add-In is in the list, then select it, click Enable, and click Close. Then close and reopen the Office 2007 application

Omer Mushahwar :

Please let me know if the addin isnt in the list

Omer Mushahwar :

Hi Cory welcome to the chat, please let me know if the above does not work for you.

Customer :

Thanks Omer! Indeed, PDFMOutlook is on the disabled list! I can's find an option to enable, however. There are no radial buttons or other features on the list. The only option I see is to check a box for "Apply macro security settings to installed add-ins," which appears outside and below the list of Add-ins. What should I be seeing? Also, will this solution work for the rest of the Office 2007 Suite? Thanks, Cory

Omer Mushahwar :

Hi Cory, When you click on PDFMOUTLOOK the enable button should show up if it doesnt try the steps here adobe suggests

If Acrobat PDFMaker Office COM Add-In appears in the list but the checkbox beside it is not selected, then click the checkbox. Click OK. Then close and reopen the Office 2007 application. If you can't place a check mark then select Acrobat PDFMaker Office COM Add-In. Click Remove, and proceed to the next step of if it is not in the list

If Adobe PDFMaker COM Add-In is not in the list of available add-ins, then click Add and navigate to C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat [9.0 or 10.0]\PDFMaker\Office. Select PDFMOfficeAddin.dll. Click OK. Then close and reopen the Office 2007 application.

Omer Mushahwar :

As for your question about is this the same for the rest of the suite the answer is almost the same you get to the addin screen a little different but the following steps are similar

In Access, Excel, Word, or PowerPoint: Click the Microsoft Office button (in the upper-left corner). Click the [Application Name] Options button. Choose Add-Ins in the list on the left side of the Options window. Choose Disabled Items in the Manage pop-up menu at the bottom of the Options window. Click Go.

Omer Mushahwar :

There is a video located here http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/511/cpsid_51114.html that actually shows them doing the steps in word, click on the vista button as its steps would be similar to windows 7

Customer :

Thanks Omer! There is also no option to remove the item. Will this interface allow me to send you a screen capture? If so, how? Cory

Omer Mushahwar :

Hi Cory in the chat toolbar you will see something that looks like a picture click that and you can upload a picture

Omer Mushahwar :

Cory also make sure you are clicking on the Acrobat Pdf Maker Office Com Addin in the list before you try removing

Omer Mushahwar :

when you go to click the pick button it will ask for image url simply click the browse button and another windows will open allowing you to pick a picture file from your computer

Customer :

Outlook Addin Dialogue box
Full Size Image

Customer :

Hi Omer - I have to go now. I'll try the procedure in Word when I get back, but it is mainly in Outlook that I use the PDFMaker function. Thanks, Cory

Omer Mushahwar :

Cory quick question in outlook at the botton of the screen did you Choose Disabled Items in the Manage pop-up menu at the bottom of the Trust Center window. Click Go
Once you click Go button next to com addins at the bottom you should have the check boxes

Omer Mushahwar :

As a referrence here is microsofts step by step for every office program on how to use addins to disable and enable them http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook-help/enable-or-disable-add-ins-in-office-programs-HA010034127.aspx

Customer :

Full Size Image

Customer :

Omer - Yes, this helped me get to a place where I can see the check buttons, but I'm still having a problem with the run as administrator issue. I received the message: "This addin is installed for all users on this computer, and can only be connected or disconnected by an administrator. Load behavior: Unloaded." I thought of this already before you sent your latest reply - that is, I tried unsuccessfully to run Outlook as an administrator. I came upon instructions for this when I was troubleshooting it before I started with JustAnswer. In any case, in the advanced properties box the "Run as Administrator" box is greyed out so I can't select it (see attached screen capture). Cory

Customer :

Full Size Image

Customer :

Hey Omer - I solved the run Outlook as Administrator problem, but now there is no "enable" option in the COM Add-in dialogue box. Clicking OK does nothing but close the box, and clicking Add takes one to a browse dialogue box. I think I vaguely recall someone on a post saying that you have to Remove and then re-add the file. What do you think? Thanks, Cory

Omer Mushahwar :

Hi Cory yes like I mentioned above if it is not working correctly you have to remove it from the list then

Omer Mushahwar :

So basically once you removed it go through the second line of if its not in the list

Customer :

Awesome dude! It worked! Thanks!

Omer, Information Systems Manager
Experience: MCSE Certified , Degree in CMIS Computer information Systems, 7 years of work in the IT Field