Anthony Brewster
Anthony Brewster, Consultant
Experience:  MICROSOFT PC SAFETY, WINDOWS LIVE ONECARE, WINDOWS GENUINE, & I.T. SPECIALIST
16299369

I have an Acer Extensa 4420-5239 laptop with a Crystal Eye

I have an Acer Extensa 4420-5239 laptop with a Crystal Eye webcam. The webcam works sporadically, and it takes me 20 tries or more to get it working and only the last works, and that's the one I remember the least. I am using Skype and actually did the get webcam working once with it. I've actually seen my picture in the corner of the screen. I know it works, but I use it so seldom that I cannot remember what 'turns it on.'

Oh, and please don't say something like there is a Crystal Eye Webcam shortcut. When I click on it, it says 'Camera no found'. That is not a typo, that is very poor pidgeon English, showing not much intelligence. It does not make feel good about Acer having any idea, not only with providing an answer, but even minimally comprehending what I am asking.

Thanks.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Anthony Brewster replied 3 years ago.

Hello, Im very sorry your having issues with your laptop. I remember when Vista first came out I got an acer laptop. It was nothing but problems (hardware & software) from day 1. My speakers blowing out, took it back to the store, watched them exchange it, and it happened again.

From now on, its a Dell when it comes to laptops. Anyways, back to your issue now. There are a few things we can do and try to get this working properly.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remove the webcam from the Device Manager

1) Click Start

2) Right-Click Computer

3) Click Properties

4) Click Device Manager (Top-Left Hand Side)

5) Click the > sign for Imaging Devices

6) Right-Click and UNinstall your cam

Restart the computer to allow the device to be re-installed automatically when it boots back to the Desktop.

1) Click Start

2) Click the right-arrow beside shut down

3) Click Restart

After the device is re-installed, go to the next step below.

Download the most up-2-date drivers/software directly from Acer for your Webcam using the link below.

1) Go here: http://support.acer.com/us/en/product_support.aspx?tab=1

2) Choose one of these below

graphic

If you choose your operating system in the upper top right-hand corner of the page like Vista Home Premium 64bit for example, you will only see 2 listed. Try the Bison first.

3) Download Bison

4) Install It

5) Restart Computer

6) Test It

Hopefully after you do all of this, everything will be ok again. If not, Im here for you just let me know me how it goes!

Acer: 1-800-816-2237 (USA)

BEST OF LUCK!
GOD BLESS!

:)

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Here's my problem at the moment. It's my wife's computer, not mine, so I will have to go and re-learn her particular system and download two different drivers and hope one of them actually works. (I think I did that before, actually). I was sort of hoping that somewhere somebody would have said 'you know, I saw that exact problem and here's what I did and what you can do'. Deleting the app, re-booting, and re-installing drivers is a very generic and basic concept. Often it works, but absolutely no guarantees. I could have spent hours searching out every Yahoo/Bing hit for this problem and probably have come to that realization, just bear down and try the delete app/re-install driver. But I know it worked several months ago. I suspect MS updates or updates to every other program under that sun that were incompetently written and released probably does it in, every time. I just get tired of that.

I'm also dealing with a Samsung Galaxy S smartphone that is corrupting my desktop email and I'm with ATT on EVERYTHING and their chat had the nerve to tell me to go to a for fee place (INTERCONNECT or CONNECTION or something) and pay to have it resolved. They first thought after I said carefully that I had a Samsung Galaxy S Captivate - from ATT, that I had an I-Phone and asked me to call Apple!!!!!

I have an older Toshiba Satellite Laptop where the sound stopped working and Toshiba says to contact Yamaha and Yamaha says to contact Toshiba and every web site on the first two pages is pushing me to buy Driver Detective which will solve all my driver problems, except I suspect strongly when it comes to the Yamaha driver, they will say after I give them money, oops, that driver doesn't exist, sorry, but you should download these other 20 drivers and aren't we wonderful.

It's a little discouraging. Sorry. I'll probably hit accept with 24-36 hours. Best I can do.

Sorry to hear that. Pretty much thats all any could do except to put the computer back to Factory Settings (giving the fact its not hardware failure) as thats a possibility even.

Windows Vista is now being called a Trail-N-Error by Microsoft. It was a big change as we all know. When Windows 7 finally got released, it was a success! No problems like with Vista. So if you Wipe Vista completely off this laptop, so the hard drive is blank, then install Windows 7, finishing it by downloading/installing the Acer Drivers/Software directly from there website, that just might solve all of your problems with it.

This is how you put it back to Factory Settings...

1) Turn on the computer
2) When you see the Acer Logo Screen, press and hold the ALT key and start tapping/pressing F10 repeatedly
3) Follow Instructions for Recovery

NOTE: When the recovery loads you will be prompted for a password. This should have been set by you if you have been into the Acer Recovery Management software previously. If you have forgotten the password XXXXX you wish to clear the password XXXXX need to boot off the recovery disk that should have been created.

More Information

From the Acer toolbar at the top of the desktop click on the disk icon. Setup a password XXXXX requested. After clicking on setup you need to click Create Password XXXXX continue. Create a password XXXXX add a password XXXXX (strongly recommended).

You now have the option of restoring from a previous Windows VistaTM backup or you can start the Acer recovery process. The recovery is started by clicking Restore at the bottom of the window.

Further types of recovery are now presented. Choose Restore system to factory default if you wish to run the hard drive based recovery and return your Acer computer back to it's original factory default state.

Note: The factory default recovery will wipe ALL data from the computer so ensure important data has been saved to disk before proceeding. Enter the password XXXXX was previously set. Confirm you wish to run the recovery process. After confirming you wish to run the recovery process the computer will restart and restore all the original files.

Complete the Out of Box Experience when prompted. After a couple of restarts the computer will run through restoring the preinstalled software that came with your computer and then be ready to use.

Order Acer Recovery Disc

https://secure.tx.acer.com/RCDB/Main.aspx?brand=acer

Acer: 1-800-816-2237

ALL THE BEST!

Anthony Brewster, Consultant
Experience: MICROSOFT PC SAFETY, WINDOWS LIVE ONECARE, WINDOWS GENUINE, & I.T. SPECIALIST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok, sorry for the delay. Acer only has about 1000 different drivers and finding the exact one that 'might' work was a little tricky, but I got it working. At least until the next Microsoft/Adobe/Flash/Norton/younameit application update, which should occur, oh, in about 2 minutes. Thanks for your patience.

Your Welcome!