Bernie
Bernie, Computer Specialist
Experience:  6+ years experience, Microsoft MCDST/CompTia A+ Certified
46068869

My real player doesnt work after I installed the updates.

My real player doesn't work after I installed the updates. I cannot play any of the real player videos. I manually uninstalled real player (the update folder cannot be removed) and reinstalled it, but the problem still remains. I used Microsoft Security Essentials to scan my computer.. it doesn't seem to help.

Another problem of my computer is that I don't see the files downloaded from a browser right away. I usually download files to desktop. I have to manually refresh to see the downloaded file. Again, tried virus scanning but it doesn't help.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Bernie replied 3 years ago.
Hi there, welcome to JustAnswer.

Please try and see if your real player will work in a clean boot environment (there may be a program on your computer that is interfering with the new updated player). To do that:

1. Click Start
2. Select Run
3. Type msconfig and press ok
4. On the General tab, click the Selective Startup option
5. Click to clear the Load Startup Items check box
6 Click the services tab
7. Make sure the hide all microsoft services box is checked
8. Click the Disable All button on the lower right and press OK
9. When you are prompted to click restart
10. Log back into Windows and try to use Realplayer again

*If that doesn't work, try this:

1. Click Start
2. Select Run
3. Type msconfig and press ok
4. Click the startup tab
5. Press the disable all button
6. Press ok and restart your computer when prompted
7. Log back into Windows and try to use Realplayer again

Please keep me updated

Edited by Computer Specialist on 1/10/2011 at 9:45 PM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for your reply. I've tried everything you suggested. The problem still persists. My videos cannot be played via real player.
Expert:  Bernie replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for trying that, lets try this next:

Click Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore > Then follow the prompts to choose a date when your Realplayer was functioning and restart your computer. Please let me know if that restores the computer's ability to play Realplayer videos.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
This doesn't work either. I thought it might be something to do with the updates and tried to uninstalled real player (then reinstalled it) but failed to remove the update folder.
Expert:  Bernie replied 3 years ago.
I see, what's the exact message you're getting from Realplayer when you try to play a video with it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
several scenarios:
freeze
slow, always seeking
cannot even open the videos (just happened)
Expert:  Bernie replied 3 years ago.
This may be because there are codecs missing from your computer, download and install these to your computer:

http://tinyurl.com/4ucav36

and see if the videos work.

If none of those work, try downloading this program to your computer and see if you can play realplayer videos with it.

http://tinyurl.com/5mcv8
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I can open the videos with PlayItAll media player but it doesn't recognize foreign characters and there are delays when I move the process bar.

I would prefer RealPlayer if possible but the problem still remains.
Expert:  Bernie replied 3 years ago.
Absolutely, I just wanted to make sure that the computer could play video files. So it seems you have all the correct codecs on the computer.

I know you've tried it already, but can we uninstall the RealPlayer (with a special program that completely removes it from the registry and elsewhere on the computer) and then download a new setup file from the internet? Please take these steps:

1. Download REVO uninstaller by clicking on this link:

http://download.cnet.com/Revo-Uninstaller/3000-2096_4-10687648.html

1. After you've saved the download to your computer, install the program and run it. Once it is open, select the RealPlayer program to uninstall by double clicking it, then confirm.
2. Choose Advanced and click next.
3. Follow the prompts to finish uninstalling the program
4. If Revo finds and displays leftover Registry items, go ahead and click the select all button, then the delete button, then confirm.
5. Do the same method for leftover Files and Folders (If at some point you get a notification to remove shared components click the No to All button).
6. Exit the program once you are done

Then, go here:

http://www.real.com/

and click the orange download realplayer button. Once that is installed again, please let me know if it will play files.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks! I still couldn't remove all realPlayer files using the software.

Here is the message in RNA3 file-

********************************************************

The following files and/or directories could not be deleted.

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Real\RealPlayer\BrowserRecordPlugin\Chrome\Hook\rpchromebrowserrecordhelper.dll

C:\Documents and Settings\dell\Application Data\Real\RealPlayer

C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer
Expert:  Bernie replied 3 years ago.
Try deleting those folders manually. You may need to show hidden files and folders:

Go to start > My computer > the upper left part of the window click the organize button, then Folder and search options > Click the view tab > Under advanced settings make sure Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives is selected > Press OK

Then, Press start again > Type %appdata% and press enter. This will take you to the Application data folder. Pleaes delete the Real Folder(s) you see in there and let me know once you've done that.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I now reinstalled realPlayer.. it doesn't seem to help. When I moved the process bar, it said 'seeking..' and froze, and then I failed to open any .rmvb files.

Thanks for help!
Expert:  Bernie replied 3 years ago.
No worries, thank you for patience. Here are the next steps:

Please proceed to download and install these files:

http://www.free-codecs.com/XP_Codec_Pack_download.htm
and install the codec files (just to triple make sure you aren't missing any codecs).

and also

http://www.driverupdate.net/

For DriverUpdate:

and click the orange download button on the left side.

Download and install the SlimDrivers program to your computer. Once it is done, start the program and follow the prompts to scan for drivers on your computer. This is the free version of the program, so you will have to manually restart your computer and wait for each driver it finds to finish updating itself.

Look only for updates related to video drivers, display drivers, and check the ignore boxes on every other item you see in the list. Then click the green download now button next to the video/display driver you need to update.

It will update your computer and restart it if necessary.

Then run a Windows Update:

To get to Windows Update:

1. Click Start
2. Select run
3. Type wupdmgr
4. Press ok
5. Press the Express button
6. Follow the prompts to fully update your Windows (If you don't have it already, Windows update will prompt you if you want to download and install Microsoft Update, which will not only update your windows but your Microsoft programs as well)
7. The computer will restart if any updates were found and installed
8. Repeat steps 1-7 until you find that Windows updates has no more new updates to be available

*If you don't have it already, Windows update will prompt you if you want to download and install Microsoft Update, which will not only update your windows but your Microsoft programs as well. If it does go ahead and download Microsoft Update and use that program to update your Windows.

Once you are done, try to use Realplayer and let me know the results, thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks much for your reply.

NO updates on video drivers and display drivers were found.

One update on Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 was found but I failed to perform the update.. it just froze in the middle (tried several times). Here is the error message:

Failed Updates
For help installing an update successfully, see the solution under each problem description.

Problem: End User License Agreement (EULA) Not Accepted
Solution: Check for updates again and wait while you install updates. You will be asked to accept the EULA before any updates with a EULA can be installed.

Problem: Not Enough Disk Space
Solution: To make more space available, run the Disk Cleanup tool or uninstall any programs that you don’t use. For directions, see Help and Support on your computer.

Problem: Automatic Updates is currently installing updates
Solution: Please wait until Automatic Updates is complete and then check your update history. At that time, if the update has failed to install, you can try installing it from the website.
Note: To view Automatic Updates progress, click the updating icon in your System Tray.

Problem: Please check your update history for a description.

Problem: A problem on your computer is preventing updates from being downloaded or installed
Solution: To fix the problem, try installing the updates again. If that doesn't work, use the Troubleshooter to try solve the problem.

Microsoft Visual Studio 2005
Security Update for Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 (KB937060)
Visual Studio 2005 Service Pack 1

Expert:  Bernie replied 3 years ago.
I see, thank you for trying that. Try to uninstall real player, then visit this site:

http://www.oldapps.com/real.php

and starting with RealPlayer 1.0.5 (the previous version before this last update) see if that version will work.
Bernie, Computer Specialist
Experience: 6+ years experience, Microsoft MCDST/CompTia A+ Certified
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I can play the video via the old version of realPlayer. Thanks! I still don't understand what is the problem with the new version. It is not compatible with MS Visual Studio 2005? Do you have any ideas on why I couldn't update MS Visual Studio 2005?

Thanks again,
-Di