BrianPKelly
BrianPKelly, Consultant
Experience:  A+, 10 Years Experience
33460957

my computer says a problem has been detected and windows has

my computer says a problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. What should I do?
Category: Computer
Expert:  BrianPKelly replied 3 years ago.

BrianPKelly :

Hi there, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I would be happy to assist you today.

JACUSTOMER-i12k13z2- :

Thanks

BrianPKelly :

Okay, so blue screen error. . .

JACUSTOMER-i12k13z2- :

yes

BrianPKelly :

I'm going to be honest with you on the front end and say that blue screen errors can be notoriously difficult to troubleshoot and can be related to a number of things on both the hardware and software side.

BrianPKelly :

I'm guessing you're seeing a message that says something like this:

BrianPKelly :

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the Stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x0000007e (0x80000003, 0x805c49b8, 0xf7a172b4, 0xf7a16fb0)

BrianPKelly :

Is that correct>

JACUSTOMER-i12k13z2- :

ok thanks for being upfront

JACUSTOMER-i12k13z2- :

yes it is

BrianPKelly :

Do you have the error up right now?

JACUSTOMER-i12k13z2- :

no but i can get it up

BrianPKelly :

Yeah, if you don't mind, let's go ahead and get it up so we know exactly what we're dealing with.

JACUSTOMER-i12k13z2- :

ok just give me a second

JACUSTOMER-i12k13z2- :

ok its up

BrianPKelly :

Okay, down at the bottom where it says STOP: and gives you the hex code, what is that code?

JACUSTOMER-i12k13z2- :

c, OxOOOOOOOO, OxOOOOOOOO)OxOOOOOOED (OX8736EE3O, OxCOOOOO

JACUSTOMER-i12k13z2- :

somehow the parenthesis are in there wrong should I redo it?

BrianPKelly :

I can probably figure it out.

JACUSTOMER-i12k13z2- :

thanks

BrianPKelly :

The very first error is 0x00000000?

JACUSTOMER-i12k13z2- :

with an ED on the end

BrianPKelly :

Ah, okay. Give me a couple of minutes. Let me check something out for you.

JACUSTOMER-i12k13z2- :

thanks again

BrianPKelly :

No problem. Back in a few.

BrianPKelly :

Have you gotten any other errors in conjunction with this one that say something like PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA or Unmountable_Boot_Volume or anything else that gave an indication as to the specific issue?

JACUSTOMER-i12k13z2- :

there is a note near the top that reads unmountable _boot_volume

BrianPKelly :

Okay, give me just a few.

BrianPKelly :

You get this error as soon as you start the machine and before it boots into Windows, correct?

JACUSTOMER-i12k13z2- :

yes

BrianPKelly :

K . . .

BrianPKelly :

Do you have an original Windows XP disc by any chance?

JACUSTOMER-i12k13z2- :

let me look

BrianPKelly :

Okay. . .

JACUSTOMER-i12k13z2- :

I have a disc that says OS Reinstallation CD for recovery media for Windows XP

BrianPKelly :

Ah. . . Not quite what we need, but not exactly useless either.

BrianPKelly :

Hmm. . .

BrianPKelly :

One sec.

BrianPKelly :

Do you have any data on the machine that you'd be sorry to lose?

JACUSTOMER-i12k13z2- :

none

BrianPKelly :

I'm guessing your machine was working fine for a while, correct? And you didn't make any recent hardware changes?

JACUSTOMER-i12k13z2- :

that is correct

BrianPKelly :

How technical would you consider yourself?

JACUSTOMER-i12k13z2- :

not very computer savy

JACUSTOMER-i12k13z2- :

but I do follow directions well

BrianPKelly :

Well, here's what we appear to be looking at"

BrianPKelly :

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315403

BrianPKelly :

Take a look at that article real quick. Some of the info may kind of go over your head.

JACUSTOMER-i12k13z2- :

is that where I need to go?

BrianPKelly :

Yeah, read through that real quick to get a handle on the situation.

BrianPKelly :

Don't worry if you don't understand it all.

JACUSTOMER-i12k13z2- :

I cant get it typed in.............

BrianPKelly :

How so? You should just be able to copy and paste it.

JACUSTOMER-i12k13z2- :

the just answer address wont go away

BrianPKelly :

Ah, just open up a new window.

JACUSTOMER-i12k13z2- :

Ok I think I have a grasp on whats going on

JACUSTOMER-i12k13z2- :

can you still help me?

BrianPKelly :

Okay, there's one issue: In order to run the fix as detailed in the article, you need an original Windows disc.

BrianPKelly :

However. . .

BrianPKelly :

If you're not worried about the data on the machine and don't have any qualms about starting fresh, you should be able to run the recovery disc that you have to reinstall Windows and restore the machine to a factory state just like you pulled it out of the box.

JACUSTOMER-i12k13z2- :

oK I can do that

BrianPKelly :

Do this real quick before you run. Pop that disc into the CD drive and restart the machine. Tell me if the recovery application kicks in when the machine starts back up.

JACUSTOMER-i12k13z2- :

its not working

BrianPKelly :

What's it doing?

JACUSTOMER-i12k13z2- :

the CD is not even running

BrianPKelly :

Do you know how to get into the BIOS?

JACUSTOMER-i12k13z2- :

no but if you tell me I will find it

BrianPKelly :

It can vary from machine to machine. When you start yours up, do you see a brief message that says "Press Such-and-Such Key to Enter Setup"?

JACUSTOMER-i12k13z2- :

yes

BrianPKelly :

Okay, as soon as you see that message hit that key and it should take you into a program known as the BIOS. Let me know when you're there.

JACUSTOMER-i12k13z2- :

I am there

BrianPKelly :

Okay, this will take a little trial and error. You might have to poke around in here to find the right area, but what we're looking for is a section that allows us to set the boot order, i.e. whether we want the hard drive to boot first, or the CD-ROM, etc.

BrianPKelly :

See if you can find something like that.

JACUSTOMER-i12k13z2- :

Ok its says Boot at the top then list Hard drive, USB storage, CD,DVD,CD-RW

JACUSTOMER-i12k13z2- :

then comes removable devices then network

BrianPKelly :

Okay, what we want to do is make sure the CD/DVD drive is set to boot first. There should be some sort of directions in there about how to change the settings. Give that a shot and let me know what you come up with.

JACUSTOMER-i12k13z2- :

I got the CD to boot first and it is now running

BrianPKelly :

Ah, very good. See, you're a computer master.

JACUSTOMER-i12k13z2- :

thanks

JACUSTOMER-i12k13z2- :

I owe it all to you

BrianPKelly :

Well, at this point the CD should basically wipe the hard drive and "flash" it with an image that restores it to its original factory state.

JACUSTOMER-i12k13z2- :

ok

BrianPKelly :

I'd just let it run and keep an eye on it in case it prompts you to do something.

JACUSTOMER-i12k13z2- :

will do

JACUSTOMER-i12k13z2- :

are we done?

BrianPKelly :

Well, if you don't have any other questions, that should be about it.

BrianPKelly :

And if you've found this helpful, please do click the ACCEPT button on the question for me.

JACUSTOMER-i12k13z2- :

None at all. Thanks so much for saving me a trip to the Geek Squad

JACUSTOMER-i12k13z2- :

I will

BrianPKelly :

No problem. I'm always happy when I can help someone reach an acceptable resolution.

BrianPKelly :

Good luck with it and take care.

BrianPKelly, Consultant
Experience: A+, 10 Years Experience