tbwhite2040
tbwhite2040, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  3+ years Computer Support Specialist County School System, 3+ years Networking Specialist

my touchpad is locked on my dell inspirion and I cannot figure

Customer Question

my touchpad is locked on my dell inspirion and I cannot figure out how to unlock it.
Category: Computer
Expert:  tbwhite2040 replied 3 years ago.

tbwhite2040 :

Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you in finding an answer to your question.

Customer :

ok

Customer :

Are you still there?

tbwhite2040 :

Yes I was looking for information about this

tbwhite2040 :

Try this Turn off the laptop and remove the power adapter and battery from the laptop. Press and hold the power button for exactly 1 minute and then plug just the power adapter back in and turn on the laptop. See if the touchpad works again. Also you might want to remove the mouse first to make sure it enables the touchpad first before plugging the mouse back into the computer

Customer :

will do. we do not use a mouse, so one is never plugged into the laptop

tbwhite2040 :

ok

Customer :

nope - pointer is still locked in place and cannot move it with touchpad

Customer :

When I start my computer (windows 7 Home Premium), there are 2 icons that are not usually on the start up page. Bottom right has a red icon (rectangle with whote circle with line and an arrow key - sort of looks like a power symbol. The bottomleft has a blue and white icon with arrows.

tbwhite2040 :

Do you have a mouse you can connect to the laptop?

Customer :

yes - let me grab it off my desktop

Customer :

i plugged it in and it installed the device driver software - and the mouse works!

tbwhite2040 :

OK can you access the desktop screen on the laptop

Customer :

yes

Customer :

Ok - I went to touchpad setting and got it enabled. Thank you!!!

tbwhite2040 :

You are welcome

Experience: 3+ years Computer Support Specialist County School System, 3+ years Networking Specialist