Sudipto, Hardware Engineer
Experience:  Certificate Course In Computer Maintenance
15197395

My volume keeps going down. I move the cursor up and it goes

Customer Question

My volume keeps going down. I move the cursor up and it goes down
Category: Computer
Expert:  Sudipto replied 3 years ago.
WELCOME TO JUST ANSWER!! My name isXXXXX will assist you to solve or identify your problem.

What is the exact make and model no. of the PC?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Dell dimension E510
Expert:  Sudipto replied 3 years ago.
Check for any other software that is running and set to 'mute'. The slider only displays the status of the volume mixer device, and the device itself is shared between all the programs - if any of them changes the volume, others should move their sliders accordingly (if they don't, it means they are sloppily written.) If one program keeps muting the volume, setting it in another won't help.Also check if (if you have a laptop or a multimedia keyboard) the 'volume down' key isn't stuck.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i have no other software running. I tried skype.. I tried itunes.. each separate.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i go to control panel, sounds.. i move cursor up and it goes right back down..

Expert:  Sudipto replied 3 years ago.
Do you have a multimedia keyboard?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no.. I have been listening to itunes for years.. I have used skype for years.. I use a logitech head set for skypy. . This happened yesterday when I was trying to listen to a lecture... online...

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i just turned itunes on again.. I went to control panel, sounds, and when i move volume to right i could hear it from my speakers.. but it wont stay to right it keeps going back to left and than no volume....
Expert:  Sudipto replied 3 years ago.
Ok,follow the steps below and restore the PC to an earlier date and let me know.

Click-->Start Button-->Programmes-->Accesories-->System tools-->System Restore after selecting it a window will be open click next and then select a date from the calender in or before which it was fine after that click next and follow the instruction the pc will restart once and check the problem is gone or not.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i tried it wouldn let me restore... the computer went down said it was going to restore than message said it could not restore...
Expert:  Sudipto replied 3 years ago.
Then it can be a malware issue,Please download Malwarebytes a free tool from the link below and install it.After that update the program and run a scan.

http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html?part=dl-10804572&subj=dl&tag=button
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i just tried again and it seems to work let me try skype Embarassed
Expert:  Sudipto replied 3 years ago.
Ok,please let me know the results.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

now i cant get the logitech headset to work.. controls sounds it does not show up as device.. it did before??

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
when it does recognize in the control panel ... sounds.. and logitech headset shows up.. than i am back to the problem with the volume keeps coming down...same problem... thanks
Expert:  Sudipto replied 3 years ago.
The volume bar problem is gone or not?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
control panel> sounds/audio> volume> the cursor can move to right than it goes right back to left and no sound because volume all the way to left...if I dont have the logitech headset usb plugged in this doesnt happen.thanks
Expert:  Sudipto replied 3 years ago.
Do you have any volume control key on the logitech headset?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no..no volume control on logitech.. i have this headset for over 3 years..and never had problem.
Expert:  Sudipto replied 3 years ago.
Then,this seems to be conflict between the audio driver of the PC and the driver of the Logitech Headset.Please uninstall the logitech software then restart the PC and re install the logitech software and let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i dont have any of the logitech software to install...do you know where i go to install

Expert:  Sudipto replied 3 years ago.
Ok,that means you can just plug in the headset and use it? right
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i really dont remember when I first bought head set whehter i needed to load software...my guess is i just plugged in the usb headset...there has been no changes that i can think of that caused this problem??? do you know if logitech has this as a known problem?

Expert:  Sudipto replied 3 years ago.
No, as this is a old headset may be something is short in the wires of the headset and thats why,whenever you plugged the headset in the PC the volume comes down.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

when i put a music cd in my PC ...i can hear the music on my logitech head set...

so confusing.. any other thoughts

Expert:  Sudipto replied 3 years ago.
That means the volume is not going down?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i can hear from headset logitec when I am listening to a cd.. but cant (and keeps going down) when I am listening to itunes, skype, streaming lectures,etc..

thanks