DRobertson
DRobertson, Consultant / Technician
Experience:  MCTS, MCDST, MCP, A+, Network+, 20+ years in IT. Support for OEMs. Computer repair business owner.
18430140

My toshiba laptop wont start up, it gets so far then goes

My toshiba laptop won't start up, it gets so far then goes to a blank screen with a small white line on the top left... It sounds like its trying to start up. Is it the battery? I took the charger out of the laptop and within 10 mins it was showing orange...
The kids use the laptop and not very often the charger, so it shuts down a lot after running out of power.
Category: Computer
Expert:  DRobertson replied 3 years ago.

Intro:

Hi and thanks for writing us here at JustAnswer.com. Please know that to resolve your question may take some back and forth questions and answers.

We are here to help and will do our best to resolve your issue; we are not here to just make money. Also note that we do NOT work for any company and in no way represent them on their products and/or services.

-----------------------------------------------

Good morning.

I saw your posting and would like to try and help.

I am going to need to ask some questions to start with and also have you do a test. These are both to understand what might be going on with this unit better:

What is the model of this unit?

When you state, "... it gets so far then goes to a blank screen with a small white line on the top left ..."; can you tell me how far along in booting up are you? (Have you seen anything on the screen? Do you see the Windows logo? Have you got to your desktop? etc.)

When did this issue start in regards XXXXX XXXXX frame?

Was all ok before this issue presented itself?

What was the last step you did before this issue started?

Was there any new software or hardware installed right before this issue started?

Had you installed any updates right before this issue started?

Now this test will NOT resolve the issue, but will provide info that I can use:

Restart or power up the system, if off, and just has soon as you see anything on the screen, start tapping rapidly, 4 or 5 times, the F8 key. Your going to think about just holding it down altogether, but this will cause an error, so please do not do so. Tap rapidly.

We are looking for a menu on the screen that says, "Windows Startup Menu". If you do make it there, then you will use the down arrow key and move down to "Safe Mode" and then tap Enter.

It will eventually get to asking a yes and no question about Safe Mode. Answer yes. Now you will go to your desktop, or if you usually have to log in, then it will ask you to do so.

Note also that not everything functions in this mode, and / or may look different. This is ok and normal.

Now simply please let me know that you made your way to this special mode's desktop ok.

(To get out of this special mode, shutdown and reboot, and it will go back to normal mode.)

Thank you for all the answers and for doing this test for me. I will advise more based on all this info.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, thank u for trying to help me, i've started the lap top up, it gets to the Toshiba leading inovation intel opening, with the bit at the bottom saying press f2 to go to set up utility or f12 to boot manager....

That's as far as i get, it then cuts out to the blank grey screen with the white line top left...

It's a toshiba satelite l350 - 145

model number psldoe - 00u01men

Thank you so much for this info. Good job.

Ok, so let me ask. Does the "blank grey screen" come up on it's own, or only if you try either the F2 or F12?

Thanks.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi, is there any thing u can think of? I'm no where forward.....

Donna......

Hello again and welcome back.

You may not have seen my previous question about does the screen come up on it's own, or after you press the F2 or F12 keys?

I do have a couple of test for you to do that will also help me determine some points on this:

Lets tap the F2 key, which should take you to the system BIOS. Does this look ok?

Now reboot and just has soon as you see the F2/F12 display, tap two or three times on the F8 key. Did you see a Windows Boot Menu?

if yes above, then use the down arrow key and move to "Safe Mode" and then tap the "Enter" key and lets see if the unit will boot.

I will advise more based on all of this info.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi, i think my lap top's dead, lol....

it's no different, i turn on, it comes up for 3 sec on the toshiba start up, nothing i do changes the screen after the screen goes blank or before it goes... the f2's 8's and 12's don't work...

Hello and thanks.

I can only imagine how frustrating this might be on you.

Ok, the F2 is a big one because the BIOS screen is the motherboards chips themselves. If you get no screen or the same grey screen on the F2 then we have a serious problem.

What is unusual on this issue is that you see the Toshiba logo. Usually with the BIOS screen not showing, you never even get the logo displayed first.

Turn off the unit, the press and hold down the F2 while turning on the unit. Keep held until either there is a change in the unit or you count to 10.

I will advise more if you get no BIOS screen from this.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok, i'll try that...

please can i reiterate, that wen the toshiba screen shows for that 3 secs, the f2 and f12 info is at the bottom of the same screen....

Yes, never hesitate to reiterate or go over anything to make sure I completely understand.

The screen with the logo and the "F" keys is called the BIOS or Boot screen and is the very first steps that the system is taking to boot to your normal everyday use.

I await your test response and again, thanks.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
nothing.... it's very frustrating that it actually seems to start up, but then die on me....
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
is there some sort of connection in the fact that the battery on the lap top is now always orange?

Yes that can be a connection.

Lets try this:

Take out and leave out the battery. Now with just the AC power, lets try to turn on the unit like normal.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yh thanks it's working, thanks very much for ur help, lol..... i figured it out myself , well chuffed....

I spoke to several pc nuts at work and explained the battery was showing orange, they said it should still work with charger plugged in.... So that's wot through me....

Thanks very much, i was gonna throw it through the window... How long does a battery normally last?

Donna....

Most batteries run from about 18 months to three years in use.

I have seen some has short as one year and some last five.

I am happy your up and going again.

Have a blessed day.

DRobertson, Consultant / Technician
Experience: MCTS, MCDST, MCP, A+, Network+, 20+ years in IT. Support for OEMs. Computer repair business owner.