Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Information Systems Manager
Experience:  20 Years Experience in Field. MCSE, ICCP, CNE, Greenbelt
23511658

how do i find out if someone else has accessed to my hotmail

Customer Question

how do i find out if someone else has accessed to my hotmail email account recently like last 3 days. i bought a greyhound ticket on line, but my printer out of ink, i had to use computer in greyhound to print the ticket, the guy was watching when i enter my password
Category: Computer
Expert:  James K. replied 3 years ago.

Hello

Please do this

If you think that somebody has your password XXXXX then the best way to combat this is to change your password XXXXX then your secure to do this

1.Sign in to your Windows Live Hotmail Account from Hotmail.

2.Click on your name at the right-top of the home page of your Windows Live Page. You'll see a list popup. Select View Your Account.

3.You may be asked to sign in again. Enter your current password XXXXX click Sign in.

4.In your Account Summary, just below the Password XXXXX information heading, click on Change next to the starred password.

5.A screen will appear where you will be asked to provide your old password. You will then be required to type in a new password XXXXX then retype it again for confirmation. Note: Make sure you enter a strong password. Passwords are case sensitive (so EXAMPLE, Example, and example are not the same).

6.Click the Save button to save your new password. You will then be taken to the login page where you can now login with your new password.

Cheers James

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i has changed my password XXXXX what i want to know is if someone read my email 3 days ago, not provend someone from reading

Expert:  James K. replied 3 years ago.

Hello

We are not Hotmail we are just answer a paid global support group of experts

There is no real way of telling , if you logged in and new emails were not in showing in bold as new , that is usually a give away , however they could of always been read and then use the option to mark as unread, check your sent items for any emails you haven't sent -- If you have changed your password XXXXX you mitigated the risk.

Cheers James

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
review my question again, you did not help me at all, i did changed my password before i tried to get help from you, you do not need to tell me how to change my password
Expert:  James K. replied 3 years ago.

There is no real way of telling , if you logged in and new emails were not in showing in bold as new , (unread ) then somebody could of read of them that is usually a give away

However they could of always been read and then use the option to mark as unread,

Making the email bold again

Check your sent items for any emails you haven't sent -- If you have changed your password XXXXX you mitigated the risk.

Beside that there is no way of knowing if in that short time period before changing the password XXXXX the emails were read

As hotmail is Free , it offers limted support they would not investigate this matter

Cheers James

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
what i concern about is something in draft, not sent or inbox, that is why i want to know if there are any ways that i can find out someone had accessed to my account, your answer did not answer my question, i pay $38 to learn how to change my password? after searching, i know hotmail not like gmail can check the account activities. i do not accept your answer.
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 3 years ago.

Hello, I can see that you have been working with another expert. (Edited by Moderator) the information he is giving you is solid, I will try to help you by answering your question. You seem to consider the status of the answer to your question to be black and white. So that's what I will try to provide.

So, to directly answer your question - no, there is no way for you to tell if someone else has accessed your hotmail account. There is nothing that you can look at that can tell you, and there is nothing Hotmail/Microsoft can tell you. If someone used your credentials, only someone physically looking at the person would have the possibility of knowing that it isn't you. In this type of authentication (two factor) there are two things that identify you and, as far as the computers are concerned, anything other than those two things are not even acknowledged. The two factors are your use rid and your password. Anyone with your use rid and password XXXXX XXXXX

I hope you find that this answers your question as you asked it, and that you will click accept. As you know, I do not have control over what the correct answer is, and the correct answer is what you came here and agreed to pay for. I know it isn't the answer you (or I wanted), but it still requires the same level of research to provide. If I am missing any information that you require to accept, please let me know and I will provide it. For your reference, there is an interesting article on this exact subject at the following page.

http://ask-leo.com/will_msn_hotmail_tell_me_who_logged_into_my_account.html

Edited by Maria-Moderator on 1/9/2011 at 10:46 PM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i can pay, but i do not accept the answer. i've learned a hard lesson, i will never access to this website again.
(Edited by Moderator)

Edited by Maria-Moderator on 1/9/2011 at 10:48 PM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
if there is no way to find out, just told me in the first place, i don't need an expert to tell me how to change my password. this my last reply. i'll pay after this, one more time, i agree to pay, but do not accept the answer.
(Edited by Moderator)

As you will see, in my first reply to you, I did state that there was no way to tell because I knew you wanted an accurate answer. Even when the answer isn't one I would want to hear myself, I find it best to put it on the table for discussion. So I thiink we're actually on the same page. The situatuon is really one of circumstance - while there is a list of IP's that have logged in, they might be useful in a crime investigation where you knew something specific on your account was compromised, the information isn't useful for determining if it's been compromised.

Something that may make you feel a little more comfortable however, is that hotmail/live/msn employs some pretty sophisticated technology to trigger an automatic lock of your account if their alogrithms determin that there has been unauthorized access - even if the person knows the username and password. It includes things that we wouldn't normally think of like unusual activity once logged in, or even a different pattern of entering the password - like if someone left more time between some keystrokes than you normally do. If that ever happens, you will be alerted to that when you try to log in and you will have to answer some questions to prove your identity. So make sure all your information is up to date in your profile, especially your alternate email address and security questions.

The only way to convert the deposit into payment so that I can be compensated is by clicking the accept button. So if you could please do that, I would appreciate it. And it only applies to the one answer and doesn't necessarily mean that you consider all the answer to be helpful.

Edited by Maria-Moderator on 1/9/2011 at 11:18 PM EST