Barun
Barun, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience in providing support for tech-related issues, including computers, email and software.
12615041

How do I open and read a XLR file in a new computer

How do I open and read a XLR file in a new computer?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Barun replied 6 years ago.
Hi, and thanks for using JustAnswer.

A XLR file is a Works spreadsheet, which you may open up by using the free Excel Viewer program. In order to download the same, please use the following link:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?familyid=1cd6acf9-ce06-4e1c-8dcf-f33f669dbc3a&displaylang=en

Please click on the 'Download' button, then run and install it following the on-screen directions, and you should be able to open up the XLR file using the same thereafter.

Regards
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Still can not read a file, after downloading program. Have another suggestion?. the files were written on an XP 98 computer and now I have office 2010
Expert:  Barun replied 6 years ago.
Oh, I see. In that case, please download a Works to Excel Converter program using the following link:
http://www.rl-software.com/converter/wks-wdb-to-excel.htm

Run the program and use it to convert the XLR file to an Excel-supported format, and let me know if you are able to open the converted file all right.

Regards
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

It is asking for a 16 letter password

Expert:  Barun replied 6 years ago.
No, just download the trial version at the bottom of the webpage accordingly.

Regards
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
When I tried to install the program I got this message. This converter can not work with Excel 2007 because Excel conferter interface does not work anymore with Excel 2007. Should I purchas a 2010? Would that solve the problem?
Expert:  Barun replied 6 years ago.
I think you stated earlier that you already had Office 2010 installed?

Regards
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
My mistake. Sorry . My computer is new, 2010 but I did put in a 2007 office that I had
Expert:  Barun replied 6 years ago.
I see, no problem; that tool will not work with Excel 2007. Now, please download another MS Works Converter tool using the following link:
http://download.cnet.com/MS-Works-Converter/3000-2248_4-10424236.html

Let me know if you are able to use this program to convert the XLR file to an Excel format, and open it up thereafter.

Regards
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Couldn't figure out which program you wanted me to down load. Lot of spyware and stuff I have already tried. Need another suggestion.
Expert:  Barun replied 6 years ago.
Do you see a 'MS Works Converter 2.20' listing in the webpage? If so, click on the green 'Download Now' button just below it, and then wait for a download window to come up. Do not click on anything in the webpage.

Regards