Ms Techie
Ms Techie, Computer Software Engineer
Experience:  Bachelor of Engineering in Information Technology, 3 + Years of Experience in Software Industry

My Windows Live movie maker will not save my movie. It says

Customer Question

My Windows Live movie maker will not save my movie. It says there are corrupt files, but all files are showing and working when I watch it. I think it's because it is too long for the files to come up fast enough. How do I split the scenes so that I can finish and copy each as a separate movie?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Ms Techie replied 3 years ago.

Aarchie :

Hi & Welcome to Just Answer! I'll be assisting you to solve your issue right now.Please press Ctrl+D to add this page as Bookmark & stay connected

Aarchie :

Let me know...when you are ready to chat

JACUSTOMER-ef8m7keq- :

I'm ready

Aarchie :

alright

Aarchie :
It is actually very simple.Just
1. stop the movie at the place where you want to start cutting out.
2. Go to "Video tools" (all the way on top) and click on split
3. continue to run the video to where you want to end the piece you cut out and stop the video again
4. split here also
5. now you have a seperate piece of the split part. Right click on that and Remove. When you save your movie parts later, all those removed parts will be gone.
JACUSTOMER-ef8m7keq- :

I basically just want to know how to divide the project I've finished (which last about 1 hour and 50 minutes into small projects so that they will save as a movie and I can copy them to a DVD. I will also need to know how to get the DVD to accept more than one file.

Aarchie :

Did you read what i posted just above? This will allow you to split the scenes

JACUSTOMER-ef8m7keq- :

Where will the removed parts go? Will they also still be in the computer as "project" and can I just keep doing this until I have saved as a movie and copied all the the DVD?

Aarchie :

on Edit" tab up the top what options do you find tell me?

JACUSTOMER-ef8m7keq- :

I had not tried what you said, but I just did now so that I could answer you. I split at the beginning and end of a section and then hit remove like you said and it just removed one photo--not the whole section. I tried two more times and the same thing happened. The only things lit up are split and set beginning and end points on the edit screen. You know that I'm using Windows Live Movie Maker, right?

Aarchie :

yes...i know you are using windows Live Movie maker not the Window Movie maker

Aarchie :

right?

JACUSTOMER-ef8m7keq- :

yes

Aarchie :

ok

JACUSTOMER-ef8m7keq- :

So splitting it didn't work. What did I do wrong?

Aarchie :

ok, i did asked just a min back on Edit" tab up the top what options do you find?

JACUSTOMER-ef8m7keq- :

The options that are lighted are "split", select end point and select beginning point. The other things are not lit up.

Aarchie :

ok

Aarchie :

This is for your overview, There are five tabs on the main working window,

• In the Home tab you add images, video clips and music files, along with titles, captions and credits. If you would rather turn over the bulk of the editing decisions to a wizard, select AutoMovie. If a project consists only of still pictures, there's an option to have Movie Maker automatically align the picture durations with the length of the background music... use the 'Fit to music' option.

• The Animation tab provides the transitions from one clip to the next.... WLMM is great at showing you quickly what the transition will look like. All it takes is to hover over the different options to see them in action. Note the pan and zoom animations only work for still pictures, not video clips.

• Visual Effects let you apply special effects to still pictures and video clips. As with animations, briefly linger over any of the choices and you'll get an instant preview of what the effect will do. To add multiple effects to a clip use the drop down at the right to expand the view and the 'Multiple effects' choice at the bottom of it.

• The View tab provides zoom in and out icons for the quasi-time view of the storyboard, some thumbnail size choices, and the most important choice of standard 4:3 or widescreen 16:9 for the project.

• The Edit tab has features for fading the video volume in or out, changing the background color and the duration of still pictures, and splitting and trimming video clips. Unlike earlier versions of Movie Maker, the Windows Live version lets you make changes to the durations of multiple pictures.

The project accepts multiple tunes but doesn't let you overlap them to mix the fading out of one with the fading in of the next. There are no audio volume adjustments but there's an 'Audio mix' volume slider in the Home tab to adjust the relative volumes of the audio of the video clips and the music track.

Use the Home tab or the drop down icon at the left of the main menu when you're finished editing and ready to share your video or save it for use in a DVD project.

JACUSTOMER-ef8m7keq- :

I have discovered and used the things in every window. I have adjusted the music volume, the video volume, added transitions and effects, editing the clips, added titles and captions, chosen background color and durations of still pictures, used the zoom in and out and have everything perfect (after hundreds of hours of work learning this new program and all the details), but it won't save as a movie. I thought that if I cut it into about a dozen smaller sections it would save and I could burn it to a DVD. But it won't save and what you told me about splitting didn't work. Some of the features on the edit tab are now working at the moment. Only the ones I told you.

Aarchie :

Well please click here to visit a pictorial guide for splitting the large vedio in Windows Live Movie Maker... till saving it as a project to DVD as you require

Aarchie :

Just go through it ones and please ask if left with doubt at some point.

JACUSTOMER-ef8m7keq- :

I'll try again. I watched the tutorial and that is exactly what I did. But I'll try again.l

Aarchie :

ok

JACUSTOMER-ef8m7keq- :

I tried again and clicked split and the beginning of the section and again at the end of the section and then right-clicked to get remove and did that at the beginning and once again it just removed one clip. It seems as if the split function is not working.

Aarchie :

is the split function not enabled?

JACUSTOMER-ef8m7keq- :

It doesn't look like it and it isn't working, but I don't know why it wouldn't be. I used it all the time when editing.

Aarchie :

Can you restart the movie maker and just do it from beginning...i think that will work or else just post me back...

JACUSTOMER-ef8m7keq- :

I did restart movie maker while I was waiting for your reply and pulled up the project and the split button is definitely not black, so it's not working.

Aarchie :

it means the vedio you have imported is not selected

JACUSTOMER-ef8m7keq- :

The video is showing with all the transitions, titles, etc. on the screen.

Aarchie :

Just highlight the video imported via mouse and see if the button is highlighted

Aarchie :

split button

JACUSTOMER-ef8m7keq- :

ok

JACUSTOMER-ef8m7keq- :

The split button highlights on some of the places I click, but not on others. It won't highlight on a title or a photo or the beginning of a video clip, but it will light up in the middle of a clip

Aarchie :

yes it will light up where you can split the part

JACUSTOMER-ef8m7keq- :

But I don't want to split the video clips that I've already edited. That will leave off the beginning of each sceen and the movie won't make sense.

Aarchie :

you can also copy the part as you want to split the vedio to the smaller parts

JACUSTOMER-ef8m7keq- :

The question is still: how do I split the sections of the video at the end of one section before the title for the next section and get movie maker to make a movie of each scene, one at a time so that I can finish this and copy it to a DVD? I do not want to split any section or scene, because they are ready to turn into a movie and do not need to be edited.

Aarchie :

I am really sorry to say that ...but I think i have provided you the link that well explains how to split the part either any section. I am really not getting the point why it is not working i mean the spli button disabled thing, and moreover of it get disables at that positn then split function will not work at that point

JACUSTOMER-ef8m7keq- :

I understand exactly what you have told me to do--I watched the video and did that and I had used that info to do all of my editing. I do not want to know how to split clips. I want to know how to divide the completed project between scenes to turn it into 12 short movies. You have not been able to tell me how to divide the scenes, because the split function only works inside scenes, not at the beginning and end of scenes, where they have already been split to create separate scenes with titles, etc. There must be some way to split between the divided parts.

Aarchie :

I am so sorry...there was some fault....with my internet connection i am back now

JACUSTOMER-ef8m7keq- :

OK. Is there someway to divide between scenes that are already separated, so that movie maker doesn't try to make a movie of all of it at once and crash? I need to be able to turn each scene into a separate project, I think.

Aarchie :

Well, you can copy the vedio part as it has the copy option

Aarchie :

too

JACUSTOMER-ef8m7keq- :

Once I copy it, how do I move it from it's location and make it a separate project. I know I can paste it somewhere, but where?

Aarchie :

yes you can see the copied portion to the interactive window as a seperate vedio

JACUSTOMER-ef8m7keq- :

What and where is the "interactive" window?

Aarchie :

i mean at home

JACUSTOMER-ef8m7keq- :

Let me look and be sure what to do

Aarchie :

yes

JACUSTOMER-ef8m7keq- :

I don't see what to click on after I click on HOME

Aarchie :

Just give me one minute

Aarchie :

Just at home screen you can see the copy option and just at its left side paste option is there, just copy the part you need to seperate and click on paste and the pase portion will be visible a the screen as a seperate portion, tell me how it goes

JACUSTOMER-ef8m7keq- :

ok

JACUSTOMER-ef8m7keq- :

I clicked copy on one clip and then went to Home and chose New Project and it opened a new screne but wouldn't let me paste. The only place it would let me paste was somewhere else on the original project.

Aarchie :

ok, the click over the pasted portion at the original project and click save movie

JACUSTOMER-ef8m7keq- :

ok

JACUSTOMER-ef8m7keq- :

It doesn't recognize the pasted portion as a separate item and wants to save the whole thing in the new order, which won't work, because it's too long.

Aarchie :

ok, i think i will opt out and let your question open for other experts

Aarchie :

as i am out of any new idea now.

JACUSTOMER-ef8m7keq- :

OK. Thanks anyway.

Aarchie :

You will be notifed as soon as an expert joins you

Aarchie :

ok.

Aarchie :

Good Luck

Aarchie :

Sorry...for not being that helpful

Aarchie :

as it did not solved your problem

JACUSTOMER-ef8m7keq- :

Thanks.

JACUSTOMER-ef8m7keq- :

I need more help. The issue was not resolved