Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Information Systems Manager
Experience:  25 Years Experience in Field. MCSE, ICCP, CNE, Greenbelt

my computer is making a clicking noise through the speakers

Customer Question

my computer is making a clicking noise through the speakers and i cant get rid of it unless i mute it
Category: Computer
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 5 years ago.

Hello. I can assist you with your question.

What model computer do you have?

Are the speakers built in? If not, do you know the model number of the speakers?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
hp 5306ukp E5300. the speakers are built in.
Is it an actual sound or more like a background noise?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i can play a cd and hear the music but the clicking noise is still there aswell. if i mute the sound on the keyboard the clicking goes and so does the music.

There are a number of troubleshooting measures you can take. It sounds like you are having a problem with a settiing the audio setup vs bacground noise from something else, since muting it solves the problem.

First right click on the speaker icon in the bottom right system tray and then select open volume mixer. See if muting any individual sound channel gets rid of the click. If that doesn't work, then please go to the following page, perform the steps there, and then let me know how you made out. Feel free to ask any questions along the way as well.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
have done all you asked until update driver because i dont know how many bits my computer has 32 or 64
To find that out, right click on computer, and select properties. On that page you should see your operating system and whether it is 32 or 64.