Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30 yrs. in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.

Cursor vibrates on screen. How do I fix

Customer Question

Cursor vibrates on screen. How do I fix?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Robert M. replied 3 years ago.

That may just be your computer being overloaded.

Or it could be your mouse settings are too sensitive.

Go to control panel / mouse

go to pointer options

if the box for show trails is checked uncheck it

if the box for enhance precision is checked uncheck it if it is unchecked check it

lower the slide for pointer speed.

Let me know if that works please it may also be a problem with your monitor or display settings and its only on something moving like the curser where it is obvious to see.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My computer with the problem is at home....Will turn on & let you know by tomorrow
Expert:  Robert M. replied 3 years ago.
ok thank you please let me know. I do not get paid until you accept the answer so i would like to make sure that it works and you are happy. There are a few other things we can try but that is the easiest and most likely thing to help
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The cursor still vibrates and now I've lost my connection to the internet.

Expert:  Robert M. replied 3 years ago.
Well nothing about the mouse settings would effect your connection to the internet. Can you descibe the mouse vibration a little bit more please
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The cursor goes up and down on the screen. By itself....
Expert:  Robert M. replied 3 years ago.

well its possible the mouse is just going bad and sending poor information but lets try a couple of things.

go to control panel / system

click on hardware tab

click on device manager

expand the mouse tab

highlight the mouse underneath it

click the delete button on your keyboard it should disapear or say it is uninstalling

click ok ok to get out of the device manager

turn the computer off

unplug the mouse if it is plugged in wait a minute and plug it back in again. If it is conected to a usb port try a different port If it is the round ps/2 connecter there is only one place it can go.

turn the computer on it should reinstall itself. Hopefully correctly

If that does not work see if you can get me the exact make and model number for it.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Did not work....Still the cursor jumps up and down on the screen. The exact name, model # XXXXX:

HP Mini

p/n FT315UA#ABA

Expert:  Robert M. replied 3 years ago.

is that a laptop with a built in mouse ? the only thing i can find with that model number is XXXXX laptop computer.

If it is the mini 101 nr pc with the touchpad mouse

try downloading and installing the driver from here

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-68684-1&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&os=228&product=3832482&sw_lang=

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I tried BUT I got an error message that there isn't enough memory
Expert:  Robert M. replied 3 years ago.

Well that would be another problem that might actually cause the curser to vibrate. If there is not enough memory the computer has problems displaying graphics.

I assume that you have rebooted the computer. Go to start / shutdown / restert

Try running a spyware program on it. Spyware can steal a lot of your computer's resources

spybot search and destroy an excellent free spyware utilitiy

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html

download and run it do the update and run the spyware check.

remove anything that it finds.

then go to advanced mode and run the systems internal check

remove anything that it says.

Edited by robert on 1/7/2011 at 10:57 PM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I don't want spyware on my computer.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 3 years ago.

Yes that is why you would run the spybot program to get rid of it.