Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30 yrs. in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.
23372949

The document could not be saved. There was a problem reading

Customer Question

The document could not be saved. There was a problem reading it. Yet the file opens and looks file on the screen. What can I do to save in it in acrobat adobe pro 9?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Robert M. replied 3 years ago.

robert :

hi there i think i can help with this one

robert :

This usually has to do with hidden data that isnt quite right

Customer :

5 of my pages disappeared from my adobe file and I need to reinsert them but it says it is expected an array object and will not let me reinsert them or it say there is a prob with the b/box

robert :

what program are you using exactly

Customer :

what is an array object? and why did some of my files disappear?

Customer :

acrobat adobe 9 pro and I also have access to nitro pdf pro

robert :

try saving it without putting the pages in

robert :

use a different name

robert :

how are you doing the insert

Customer :

When I tried to save the document is says there was a problem reading it(15) and could not be saved when I tried to save it with a different name

Customer :

I do the insert with replace the page with page from file

robert :

there is an option under settings i belive that will check it for problems with hidden data before saving

Customer :

It will save in Nitro but will not save in adobe and I need to save it in adobe

robert :

I need to look up exactly where that setting is though

robert :

well they probably are not exactly compatible and something that nitro handles adobe cant

Customer :

how do I get to setting to fix the file so it will save it and what is an array object

robert :

an array object is an object with numerous sub objects. like a string of railway cars kind of

Customer :

is there a way to fix a file so adobe will read it and save it

robert :

click on document / examine document

robert :

hit the box to select all

robert :

then check the box to remove all checked items

robert :

that should get rid of all the "metadata" which is data that isnt actually being shown in the file

Customer :

ok it is doing that now

robert :

this article should give you a somewhat better idea of what the meta data is and what you might lose when you remove it. You dont need it at all for most documents and even if you do need it you will be better off removing it and being able to save the file and then putting it back in.

Customer :

what article?

robert :

???hold on a minute it is not letting me paste in here

Customer :

printing it. Thanks

Customer :

there is a lot of stuff it is removing

robert :

Well that may be why it had such a hard time saving it. It has probably gotten itself confused with the way that the nitro used it

Customer :

we shall see. I just want to get the lost pages back into the document.

robert :

There is a create and convert tab in the nitro if this does not work

robert :

try opening it in nitro and using that to convert it into a different document type that acrobat might read more easily. An older version of acrobat perhaps or even an ms word document

robert :

If you have the entire document with no problems in nitro that might get it into acrobat without the missing pages missing

Customer :

I tried to resave it under a different name after running the document check, but it still said that it could not be saved because it could not read the data error 15.

Customer :

It will not tell me why it can not read the file.

Customer :

How can I make the file so it can read it. It looks fine on the screen.

robert :

Try saving it from the nitro in a different format.

robert :

there is a tab in nitro that says convert and create it should give you several options to save it in different formats

Customer :

what format

robert :

what options have you got. I dont have it in front of me. I would try either ms word or an older version of acrobat

Customer :

you can only save it as nitro pdf but you can convert it to word or rtf or to image.

robert :

thats it convert it to word

robert :

the acrobat should be able to read the word file you may have to do some touch up work but it should pull the file in and allow you to save as a pdf

Customer :

I am running the conversion

robert :

ok lets cross our fingers

Customer :

bad news, it got half way and crashed so I had to restart it

robert :

thats not good. it seems like the nitro has some problems

robert :

If it wont work you can try the rtf conversion

Customer :

the file is very large 255 mb

robert :

That may be part of the problem as well. Can you split it into different sections and then perhaps add them back together in acrobat

Customer :

Nitro stopped and gave this message.....the file contains non-standard encoding and may not be processed correctly.

Customer :

How do we fix this?

robert :

I may have to do some research on this. There are obviously some functions that you are using in nitro that are not compatible with anything else. Or the file is just corrupted.

Customer :

There was a problem reading this file when I tried to extract pages 1-21.

Customer :

How do you fix corrupted files and how do they get corrupted when they worked before?

Customer :

Is there a program for fixing corrupted files

robert :

well it depends how they are corrupted. And in this case i dont think it is corruption so much as the version of nitro that you are using has some features that wont translate to other programs

robert :

It is a bug in the program. Nitro never claimed to be 100 % compatible with acrobat. It just claimed to make a pdf file that the acrobat reader can read as an ALTERNATIVE to acrobat

Customer :

I downloaded nitro because I could not get the files that were missing into adobe, nitro allowed replacement of the files that adobe would not replace. Nitro was more helpful in replacing files when adobe would not replace them because adobe just kept giving a reading error and somehow nitro could replace the file when adobe could not.

robert :

What program were they originally created in ? And what operating system

Customer :

I do not know why adobe could not read the files. I did adjust the files in photoshop and photoshop did rendering on the files before I adjusted the borders and resaved them in pdf. I do not know why photoshop had to render the files when sometimes it did not. It seems like rendering messed up the file.

Customer :

Files were originally created in word and then changed to adobe pdf.

Customer :

Oringinally they were created in mac os X 10.5

robert :

Arrrg that sounds like a recipe for disaster. Every program does pdf files a little bit differently including the mac version of the same program that runs on windows. between the word and the photoshop and the mac version everything has put things in a bit differently. It has now gotten so confused that nothing can read it

Customer :

so what do I do

robert :

see if this program will convert it

robert :

I am going to look for a few others or if you just put pdf to word conversion into google you will find a bunch of them. You have to hope one of them will be able to read it

robert :

Try this first

robert :

in the acrobat under settings there is a reduce file size option

robert :

that sometimes clears up the error 15 cant save

Customer :

it is uploading

robert :

i think it will try to email it back to you. There may be some that will do it automatically and you can download it immediately

Customer :

yes there is

robert :

is anything working ?

Customer :

the files can be read on nitro, the file is uploading, but we can not save

robert :

oh it is still uploading ?

Customer :

yes

robert :

well why you are waiting i found a post on reducing file size in both nitro and acrabat

robert :

some or all of those tips should reduce the file size by stripping out unneeded parts of the coding. Which is exactly what you want to do. Get rid of the extra crp that is giving you problems and reduce the size which will also give you problems

robert :

I am going to switch this question into Q and A mode. That will give you a chance to try a few of these things and get back to me on whether anything is working.

Expert:  Robert M. replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I still do not have an answer to the problem
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Did not solve the problem
Expert:  Robert M. replied 3 years ago.

I am not abandoning you. I just need to do a few other things.

Try the methods in this post to reduce the file size. There are instructions for nitro and for acrobat. Make copies of the file and try all of them in both programs. That will probably take you a while.

I am sorry i cant give you a definatel this will work answer. The problem is being caused by some meta data or combination of meta data or combination of meta data and file size. The only thing you can do is to try to strip them out and see what actually works when it is stripped out.

Try those things and then post back. As soon as i see your post i will respond again

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The online program does not work with files to convert as large as mine unless you are a member.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 3 years ago.
well try the thing in the post to get the size down.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
it worked before when the size was large.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 3 years ago.
What worked before ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
the entire file being saved and readable. It was only when I started to exchange pages that it started having trouble reading some of the documents. I am looking for a way to exchange pages so it can still be a readable document that I can edit.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 3 years ago.

What used to be and what is now are two different things. My car worked great until it hit the tree. It may work well again but i need to pull the crushed fenders off before it will.

You need to strip off all of the non working meta data in order to get it to work again. They are like the crushed fenders on your program and they are blocking the wheels.

Make a copy of the file and try all of the suggestions to reduce the size that are in the post. Try the ones in nitro and the ones in acrobat. When you get the file back into some sort of standard format then you will be able to work with it again

http://blog.nitropdf.com/index.php/2008/02/11/5-tricks-to-shrinkreduce-pdf-file-size/

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I still have not the problem solved and I have divided the files into 254 individual files each saved as a pdf. Now what. Do I start putting it back together? This has taken a really long time to divide it up page by page.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 3 years ago.

i said to split it apart i didnt say you had to split it into 250 pieces. 5 or 10 probably would have been enough

and yes i guess if they all work try to put them back together in acrobat if that is where you want the file

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I took the files completely apart to 254 pages individually and they would still not go back together.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 3 years ago.

what happened when you tried to put them back together ?

and did you ever try the suggestions on one of the links i sent you for stripping the meta detail out of the original file ?