Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

My emachines e627 will not complete the restore process using

Customer Question

My emachines e627 will not complete the restore process using recovery disks from the manufacturer. I am able to run the system disk and the first 2 recovery disks with no trouble. When I insert the third disk it runs for a while then stops around 47% and I get the error message: Restore Failed Error Code 1117(The Request could not be performed because of an I/O device Error). Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Category: Computer
Expert:  CompuGeek replied 3 years ago.

CompuGeek :

Full Factory Recovery

This option completely erases the C: partition and reinstalls factory-shipped files from the recovery partition.
Note: All of your personal data files and applications will be lost. Be sure that you have your data files backed up before performing this option.

1.Remove all CDs or DVDs from the optical drives.

2.Turn off the computer, using the normal Windows shut down process.

3.After the computer is turned off, disconnect all USB devices except the keyboard and mouse. This includes USB devices such as a printer, scanner, removable storage, or camera.

4.Turn on the computer. After the Gateway BIOS logo appears, repeatedly press the F8 key. The Advanced Boot Options menu opens.

5.On the Advanced Boot Options screen, use the arrow keys to select Repair your Computer, and then press the ENTER key.

6.In the System Recovery Options dialog box, select the appropriate keyboard layout, and then click Next.

7.In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click the down arrow to select a user account that has Administrator rights, then click OK.

Note: The Administrator account is disabled by default.

8.In the System Recovery Options window, select Recovery Manager.

9.In the Gateway Recovery Center window, click Next.

10.In the Gateway system recovery window, select Full factory recovery.

11.In the All data will be lost window, select Yes, and then click Next.

12.The Windows partition is formatted and Windows is installed.

13.In the Recovery is complete window, click Finish.

14.In the System Recovery Options window, select Restart.

15.The computer restarts.

16.Windows prepares to start for the first time. This may take a few minutes.

17.Drivers and applications are installed. This process will take several minutes. The more drivers and applications that need to be installed, the longer the process will take.

Note: The following Out of Box Experience (OOBE) screens may vary slightly between computer models.

18.In the Set Up Windows screen, select the appropriate options and then click Next.

19.In the Please read the license terms screen, check I accept the license terms, and then click Next.

20.In the Choose a user name and picture screen, enter the appropriate information and then click Next.

21.In the Type a computer name and choose a desktop background screen, enter the appropriate information, and then click Next.

22.In the Help protect Windows automatically screen, select Use recommended settings.

23.In the Review your time and date settings screen, enter the appropriate information and then click Next.

24.In the Thank You screen, click Start.

25.Windows checks the computer's performance. Depending on hardware, this process could take from 3 to 15 minutes to complete.

26.Windows prepares the desktop.

27.Installation is complete. Any application that shipped on a separate CD can now be installed. It is recommended to update the antivirus definitions and perform Windows Updates.

CompuGeek :

Please ask if have any questions.

Customer :

I am not able to access windows. When i get to the repair you computer option I select it then i get the message.

CompuGeek :

what message you get

Customer :

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. It tells me to insert windows installation disk and several other things including status: 0xc000000f and Info: the boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible.

CompuGeek :

This looks like the hidden partition which is the factory recovery has been damaged too. I would suggest you to use some mild solvent and clean all the recovery disks on the shiny silver portion at the bottom by using a lint free cloth after the run the recovery again using the disks

CompuGeek :

let me know what happens

Customer :

The recovery disks are brand new and they seem to work fine until I get to the third recovery disk but it does not even have a scratch on it. I have 4 disks 1 system disk and 3 recovery disks so my problem doesn't occur until i get to the final disk (Recovery Disk 3). Then it pauses for a while and i get the message: Restore Failed Error Code 1117(The Request could not be performed because of an I/O device Error)

CompuGeek :

do you have any bootable disk or a windows disk?

CompuGeek :

it looks like the harddrive must be having some kind of bad sectors in the media disk

Customer :

I assume the disk called system disk is what you are refering to

CompuGeek :

yes

Customer :

I have that

CompuGeek :

insert the disk in the drive close the trya and then shut the power down to the computer

CompuGeek :

wait for a min and then turn it back on

CompuGeek :

as soon as you turn on as you get a display keep tapping the F12 key

CompuGeek :

it will ask boot from cd hit enter immediately as you see the message

CompuGeek :

then it will boot to the cd

CompuGeek :

let me know then

Customer :

Ok I know have a status bar that says Windows is loading files

CompuGeek :

ok let it go a head

CompuGeek :

you will get an option to remove the existing partition let me know then

Customer :

Ok I selected my language then I have 2 options, Completely restore system to factory defaults or Restore OS and retain user data. In previous attempts I have tried both options and i always get the same result. I always get the Error code 1117 that I mentioned earlier

Customer :

I don't get the error code until the third disk reaches about 47% in the restore progress screen

CompuGeek :

ok good

CompuGeek :

let it move further

Customer :

Do you want me to proceed with the Complete restore, I am sure I will get the error message again (I have tried this multiple times)

CompuGeek :

yes

Customer :

ok

CompuGeek :

what all options you have there

Customer :

where

CompuGeek :

a part from complet restore do you get any other options too

Customer :

Only other option is restore OS and retain user data

Customer :

I am in the Emachines Recovery Management screen (v7.5.15)

CompuGeek :

have you tried this option?

Customer :

Yes

Customer :

Same result

CompuGeek :

ok

CompuGeek :

there are 2 things which is possible cause of the error

CompuGeek :

either one of the recovery disk is bad

CompuGeek :

second the harddrive might have a bad sector which is preventing the data to extact on the drive from the disk

CompuGeek :

is the computer under warranty

Customer :

no

CompuGeek :

ok

CompuGeek :

in this situation you need a windows os disk and rest of the drivers can be downloaded from the websites and make all the hardware devices working

Customer :

Is the windows os disk you reference the same as my system disk that you referenced

CompuGeek :

no

CompuGeek :

windows disk will be from microsoft

CompuGeek :

get a full version of windows 7 disk then we can format the drive and install windows

Customer :

I spoke to acer today and they told me to download an iso file (formatter) from their website and burn it to disk. I did this but i cannot get it to boot up

Customer :

They said i would be able to format my drive with this file

CompuGeek :

iso format requires a demon tool to extract the data then only you can get it installed

Customer :

Not familiar with demon tool, would this be a good option. The manufacturer recommended this file and said it should boot

CompuGeek :

without deamon tool you cannot extract any iso file

Customer :

I thought I could just download the file and burn it to disk

CompuGeek :

you can download the free version: http://www.daemon-tools.cc/eng/downloads

Customer :

Will I do this before I burn it to disk

CompuGeek :

downlaod the tool then you have to mount a virual drive and then you can burn

Customer :

Then it should boot on the problem computer

CompuGeek :

yes

CompuGeek :

can you give me the link which acer gave you to download

Customer :

I think I will give it a try and I will follow up with you later. Do you think this might work?

CompuGeek :

yes it should

Customer :

ok, I plan on accepting you so you get paid but I will try the Daemon first incase i have any follow up questions. Thanks again

CompuGeek :

post me a message i will be in touch

CompuGeek :

let me check the link which acer gave

Customer :

http://support.acer.com/acerpanam/manuals/acer/0000/documents/DiskFormatDT_V1-1D.iso

CompuGeek :

i have a question

CompuGeek :

you have an emachine computer is that correct

Customer :

Yes but they are owned by Acer and this was the link they gave me

Customer :

The support I have gottenfrom emachines has been pretty much useless

CompuGeek :

Emachine is owned by gateway computers not acer as per my knowledge

Customer :

They are all tied in together actually gateway may own both of them

CompuGeek :

no

CompuGeek :

gateway or emachine has no link with Acer

CompuGeek :

are you there

Customer :

Yes, I am just telling you this was the link they gave me

CompuGeek :

Turn the computer on as it turn on and you see display on the screen immediately press the F8 for few times it will open windows advance menu use the arrow key to select safe mode and hit enter.

CompuGeek :

can you boot the computer in safe mode with networking option

Customer :

Should I leave in the system disk

CompuGeek :

no take it out

Customer :

ok

CompuGeek :

boot the computer in safe mode with networking option

Customer :

Didn't work, got Status 0xc000000f and info The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible

CompuGeek :

open this link

Customer :

I have used that and that is where I got the link to the Acer formatter ISO

CompuGeek :

you need to tell then that the recovery disk which you have is not working however they should send you a new set for free.

CompuGeek :

ok

CompuGeek :

please try the iso file then

CompuGeek :

do you know how to burn the iso file

Customer :

I burnt it with nero earlier but it didn't boot up

Customer :

Would you like to see a transcript of my email from emachines

CompuGeek :

you need to mount the drive using a demon tool and then you can burn it

Customer :

ok I'll give it a try

Customer :

I will try that and by the way in 2007 Acer aquired Gateway and Dell, http://blogs.pcworld.com/techlog/archives/005271.html

Customer :

Making the disk now

CompuGeek :

ok

Customer :

Ok I booted the format disk and it opens up a program called dr dos do you have any idea what commands i need to use to format the drive

CompuGeek :

format c:

CompuGeek :

are you on the d: prompt?

Customer :

hello you say i need to type format c: at the A:\>

CompuGeek :

yes

CompuGeek :

that will format the c: drive which is the hard drive

CompuGeek :

do you have any windows file to run from this disk?

Customer :

it say invalid drive or format not supported

CompuGeek :

run fdisk

Customer :

did that what should i enter while in fdisk

CompuGeek :

i am out of ideas however i will let the other experts answer for you.

Customer :

Ok, thanks for your efforts though