Freddy M.
Freddy M., Support Specialist
Experience:  Years of experience in the IT field and in customer support.
15852642

i am receiving error codes of 2502 & 2503. what do they mean,

i am receiving error codes of 2502 & 2503. what do they mean, and how do i repair them?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
What model machine is giving you these errors?
When exactly does the error come up?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Whenever I install something on my laptop, at the end of the install, I get an error message , 2502 and 2503 stating that the intall couldn't complete.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
Please give me the exact error message as well as what you were trying to install when it happened so I can help you better.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ANYTHING I try to install gives me this error code. ANYTHING. I dont know another way to tell you.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
Right now I only have a general error. I need an example of something you try to install as well as the exact error message including everything before and after the number.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
WHENEVER I INSTALL SOFTWARE THE ERROR CODE READS "COULD NOT COMPLETE INSTALL. ERROR CODE 2502." "COULD NOT COMPLETE INSTALL ERROR CODE 2503" EXAMPLE OF INSTALL; NEW PRINTER SOFTWARE, WINDOWS UPGRADE, DIAGNOSTIC SOFTWARE FOR VEHICLES......(ANYTHING I INSATALL)!
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
What version of windows are you using?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
VISTA
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.

These are MSI/Windows Installer errors

2502: Called InstallFinalize when no install in progress
2503: Called RunScript when not marked in progress.

Click on the windows start button and then in the search box type regedit and press enter.

On the left press the expand symbol next to each of the following items.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

SOFTWARE

Microsoft

Windows

CurrentVersion

Then right click on Installer and click on permisions.

Click on users and then put a checkmark in allow for full control.

Do the same thing for administrators and system.

Once done click on apply and ok then try to install again.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
its not allowing me to check the box
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
Is the checkbox greyed out?
Are you the only user account on the computer?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes and yes.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
Ok bookmark or favorite this page so you can get back to me.
Then click on start.
In the search box type cmd.
In the list right click on command prompt and click run as administrator.
Type in this exactly as I have it including spaces and symbols.

net user administrator /active:yes

Once typed into the command prompt windows press enter on the keyboard.
Next restart your computer and when restarted it will show a new account called administrator.
Log into that account.
Then follow these steps again.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

SOFTWARE

Microsoft

Windows

CurrentVersion

Restart the computer normally again and then log into your account.

click on start.
In the search box type cmd.

net user administrator /active:no

After that try installing something again.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i dont understand when you say "Do the same thing for administrators and system."
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
When you open the permissions window it will look like this. Click each of the items at the top and make sure allow is checked next to full control.

graphic

Freddy M., Support Specialist
Experience: Years of experience in the IT field and in customer support.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
thank you for your patience.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
Your welcome and I hope you have a wonderful day
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Now im receiving an error code while installing Microsoft Office."Error 1310. Error writing to file.Error 1712 One or more files required to restore our computer to its previous state could not be found."
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
That is a different problem you will need to open a new question for that one. If you would like to request me to help you with it you can do so here: http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=15852642&FID=6