Omer
Omer, Information Systems Manager
Experience:  MCSE Certified , Degree in CMIS Computer information Systems, 7 years of work in the IT Field
37817776

why wont my 64 bit windows 7 system recognize an HP v115w

why won't my 64 bit windows 7 system recognize an HP v115w usb flash drive
Category: Computer
Expert:  Omer replied 3 years ago.

Omer Mushahwar :

Hi I am one of the experts here on Just Answer.com

Customer :

Hello

Omer Mushahwar :

So your flash drive isnt working on your windows 7 64 bit computer? Does it work with any other computers?

Customer :

yes, many others

Omer Mushahwar :

Just for clarification all the other computers are windows as well?

Customer :

both windows and mac

Omer Mushahwar :

Could you please tell me what version of windows 7 your computer is using? IE Windows Home, Professional, Ultimate?

Customer :

and this computer has no problem with an HP v125w flash drive

Omer Mushahwar :

ok

Customer :

ultimate on this one - professional on my other one which recognizes the drive

Customer :

btw - I have already tried rebooting with the drive connected, but it still is not recognized

Omer Mushahwar :

Please plug the HPv115w usb drive into the computer
Then please click the windows icon/start button in your toolbar
Then Right click on computer and select manage
On the left side under computer management if its not expanded already expand system tools
Click on Device Manager

Omer Mushahwar :

Do you see any devices showing up with a yellow explamation point in device manager on the right hand side or anything listed as UNKNOWN DEVICE?

Customer :

no

Omer Mushahwar :

Quick question does your windows ultimate computer have any mapped drives setup?

Customer :

not that I know of, but I am not sure

Omer Mushahwar :

ok while still in the computer management screen
Expand Storage
Click on Disk Management

Customer :

ok

Omer Mushahwar :

When you click on Disk Management it will show all discs connected to your computer including USB Drives

Omer Mushahwar :

can you please tell me what you see

Customer :

3 items

Omer Mushahwar :

is one of them your usb drive?

Customer :

a blue icon with no name - simple - basic - no file system - healthy (oem partition)

Customer :

maybe the first one - no label

Customer :

the second is my c drive

Customer :

and the third says "recovery"

Omer Mushahwar :

are they all listed under the same disk in the bottom half of the screen?

Customer :

yes

Customer :

they are all listed as part of disc 0

Omer Mushahwar :

all under disk 0?

Customer :

yes

Omer Mushahwar :

yeah than that isnt your USB drive

Omer Mushahwar :

so the drive is connected and the disk management isnt showing it

Customer :

the only other listing is the cd rom drive, which is empty

Customer :

correct

Omer Mushahwar :

have you tried using other usb ports?

Omer Mushahwar :

Im wondering if it isnt an issue with the ports

Customer :

yes, each of two has the same outcome - and both work with my other drive

Omer Mushahwar :

can you tell me what type of computer the windows 7 ultimate is on

Customer :

yes, it's a dell xps l501x

Omer Mushahwar :

thanks for that

Omer Mushahwar :

ok give me one second to double check the specs on this dell

Customer :

ok

Omer Mushahwar :

are you using the usb connection on the right or the left side of the laptop for the Flash drive

Omer Mushahwar :

or the back?

Customer :

right now on the left

Omer Mushahwar :

try the one on the right side

Omer Mushahwar :

I noticed the left and back usb ports are usb 3.0 Im wondering if that is causing it not to work

Omer Mushahwar :

the one on the right says its usb 2.0

Customer :

that works - any idea why it won't work in a usb 3?

Omer Mushahwar :

So it works on the right

Omer Mushahwar :

great

Omer Mushahwar :

Depends on the device

Customer :

ok, thanks

Omer Mushahwar :

usb 3 is a much higher speed then 2 can pass through and some devices just cannot work with that speed

Omer Mushahwar :

glad I could help

Customer :

I will hit the accept button

Omer Mushahwar :

Thank you and have a great day

Omer, Information Systems Manager
Experience: MCSE Certified , Degree in CMIS Computer information Systems, 7 years of work in the IT Field