CompuGeek
CompuGeek, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  MCA (Masters of Computer Application)
47701907

My Acer Aspire Z5700 is a day old. The touch screen has stopped

My Acer Aspire Z5700 is a day old. The touch screen has stopped working and although the dongle recognizes mouse clicks and keyboard use (it flashes), nothing happens and the the mouse cursor is frozen in the centre of the screen. I have tried powering-off with no joy and have also attached a USB mouse; again no good. This problem occurred after restarting the computer following pestering from MacAffee to restart. Without mouse, keyboard or touch screen I am struggling to do anything except switch it on and off. Help!
Category: Computer
Expert:  CompuGeek replied 4 years ago.

CompuGeek :

Go to Start - All Programs - Accessories - System Tools - System Restore.

Or press the WindowsKey on the keyboard, type Restore then press enter.

Right click on “System Restore” in System Tools, then click “Pin to Start Menu” easy access.

Press continue at the “Windows needs you permission to continue dialog box.

Select “Choose a different Restore Point”.

If “Choose a different restore point” was selected the “Choose a restore point” dialog box will appear. Choose a restore point like an earlier data on which the computer was working and click on Next.

Now click Yes to continue.

The system will reboot and the following dialog box will appear if the restore was successful.

CompuGeek :

Please ask in case you need further support or have any questions

Customer :

Thanks, but...

Customer :

I can't go to Start as neither mouse KB or touch screen will respond. Windows key therefore does nothing although the dongle for the wireless keyboard flashes when I press it, I cannot type anything.

CompuGeek :

ok

CompuGeek :

Turn the computer on as it turn on and you see display on the screen immediately press the F8 for few times it will open windows advance menu use the arrow key to select safe mode with networking and hit enter.

CompuGeek :

as the windows load then try system restore.

Customer :

Okay, some progress

Customer :

I have it in safe mode with networking, but still mouse, screen or KB do not respond so can't press Start

CompuGeek :

is it a wireless keyboard mouse with a reciever?

Customer :

Yes

CompuGeek :

there will be a connect button on all the devices

Customer :

I also have a wired USB mouse plugged and this won't work either

CompuGeek :

press the connect button on the receiver first and the press the keyboard and mouse connect button within 10 seconds they will sync

CompuGeek :

and you will be able to use the key-mouse

Customer :

The receiver has a blue flashing light which flashes each time I click or make a key stroke. The connect buttons have been pressed on both M and KB

CompuGeek :

it should sync

Customer :

There is no button the receiver its just a USB dongle. I'm pretty sure it is seeing both KB and mouse

CompuGeek :

what is the make and model of the k - mouse

Customer :

It worked when pressing F8 and then to select safe mode.

Customer :

Acer - they came with the machine Z5700

CompuGeek :

it should have the connecy button on the reciever

Customer :

The blue light was the button. I've pressed it and mouse connect button. Nothing. Cursor still locked to centre of screen

CompuGeek :

you cant use both the devices keyboard and mouse or you can use any one of them

Customer :

Mouse and KB sync doesn't account for touch screen not working

Customer :

Can't use anything. No wireless mouse and KB, no wired mouse, no touch screen

CompuGeek :

ok

CompuGeek :

do you have any important data in the computer which you cant afford to loose

Customer :

No its brand new

CompuGeek :

ok

CompuGeek :

please make sure the bluetooth reciever keyboard and mouse is connected properly and then try the setps next

CompuGeek :

The first thing to need to try to restore the system to factory defaults using the following steps:

please make sure the the charger to the system is connected.
second Start the computer and when you see the Acer logo, press

Alt + F10 (press and hold the Alt key, repeatedly tap F10)

It should start the Acer eRecovery process.

There will be 4 options:
1. Restore system to factory default
2. Restore system from user backup
3. Restore system from cd/dvd
4. Exit

Select the 1st one

Customer :

I didn't get 4 options. It says :

CompuGeek :

??

Customer :

Edit windows boot options for: Windows setup

CompuGeek :

what all options you got?

Customer :

Path:\windows\system32\boot\winload.exe

Customer :

Asks me to submit or cancel??

CompuGeek :

clicl submit

CompuGeek :

click submit please

Customer :

Started windows and then gave me your options

CompuGeek :

what all?

Customer :

Pressed option 1 and it is now restoring system

CompuGeek :

ok good

CompuGeek :

select that

CompuGeek :

let me know the status as you try.

Customer :

46% restored. Another 5n minutes probably

CompuGeek :

kool

CompuGeek :

let me know one completed sir.

CompuGeek :

once completed i mean

Customer :

It has completed restoration and is rebooting.

CompuGeek :

ok

CompuGeek :

good

CompuGeek :

let me know the result

Customer :

Its installing software drivers

CompuGeek :

ok good

Customer :

Mouse and KB are now working. Thanks.

CompuGeek, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience: MCA (Masters of Computer Application)