Mr. Clark
Mr. Clark, Computer Engineer
Experience:  Computer Repair Business Owner & Specialist / CIS Degree
40218039

Somehow I have managed to forget the password that I used when

Customer Question

Somehow I have managed to forget the password XXXXX I used when setting up the Admin account on my new Windows 7 computer. How can I get control of this account?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Mr. Clark replied 4 years ago.
Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer, a paid global support site.

You will either need a CD-R disc and a CD burner or a USB stick with at least 512 MB on it (you will need to wipe the whole drive).

Please go to http://ophcrack.sourceforge.net/download.php?type=livecd

For Windows 7, download the ophcrack Vista LiveCD (Vista version will work for 7) iso to your Desktop location.

If you are burning to CD-R
*If you need a free ISO burning program, please download and install Nero BurnLite 10 (http://www.nero.com/enu/downloads-nbl-free.php).*

You should be able to double click on the Ophcrack ISO that you downloaded and it put the CD-burning program for you. Once it is open you will need to burn the contents inside the ISO file to the CD-R disc.

Once complete, shut down your machine and insert the CD-R to it.

Turn on your machine on, and at the computer brand (HP/Dell/Gateway) screen tap whatever key is displayed for Boot Options (usually is F12 for Dells and Esc for HPs).

Select to Boot To CD/DVD.

When it boots, select the Low RAM option. Then let the ophcrack boot up and then it should find the password XXXXX you (may take up to 30 minutes).

Once the password XXXXX been extracted, remove the CD-R, and reboot the machine.

Use the password XXXXX extracted.

If you are using a USB
Insert the USB drive into the PC that you downloaded the ISO to.

Go to http://www.pendrivelinux.com/creating-a-bootable-usb-ophcrack/ and scroll down to about 70% down the page to the Create bootable USB Ophcrack.

Go to Step 3 and click the blue Download link for the tazusb.exe file.

Once downloaded, run the tazusb.exe and follow the on screen directions to install Ophcrack to your USB drive.

Once complete, shut down your machine and insert the USB to it.

Select to Boot To USB.

Once the password XXXXX been extracted, remove the USB, and reboot the machine.

Use the password XXXXX extracted.

Feel free to ask any questions, as I am here to assist you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your suggestions so far. Unfortunately, I have managed to download to USB stick and then re-boot my Packard Bell Dot s Netbook (running on Win 7), with the ophcrack utility, but the relevant passwords were "not found".
Accounts NT Hash NT Pwd
Administrator xxxxxxx empty
Guest xxxxxxx empty
Alan Jones xxxxxx not found
Anne Jones xxxxxxx not found
Dot s Admin xxxxxx not found
I have made a record of the NT Hash code for the latter account (the one with the error password). Is this of any use in solving my problem? What else can I do?
Expert:  Mr. Clark replied 4 years ago.
Shut down your machine. Turn on your machine. As soon as it powers on, start tapping the F8 key repeatedly with a one second interval until you get to a screen called advanced startup options.

When prompted, select Safe Mode with Networking.

When it comes up, select Administrator to log in as.

Go to Start -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> System Tools -> Local Users and Groups -> Users -> right click on the user you need to change password XXXXX and select Set Password.

After you can done this, reboot your machine and see if you can log in with the username of the password XXXXX have changed.

Update me on the results.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Dear Mr Clark,
I managed to get into safe mode OK, but when I got as far as "System Tools", all I could find listed was: Task Scheduler; Event Viewer; Shared Folders, Performance; Device Manager. There was no listing for "Local Users & Groups".

I think we are close to sorting out my problem (using safe mode!); however, I need further directions on this. Please note that the OS in question is Windows 7 (Starter Edition).

Many thanks in anticipation!

Alan Jones
Expert:  Mr. Clark replied 4 years ago.
I did not know you had Starter Edition... It is the lowest tier of Windows 7 and does not include all the tools needed.

Are you logged in as the Administrator user? If so, try going to Start -> Control Panel -> User Accounts and see if you can change the passwords of the users there.

To get out of Safe Mode, go to Start -> Restart/Log Off/Shut Down and reboot.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Mr Clark,

No sir, my problem is that I cannot log in as an "Administrator", because I have failed to record the associated password XXXXX The only way I can log in is as a "Standard User". Obviously, I will need to get into the Administrator account ('Dot s Admin' in my case!), in order to make full use of my new netbook.

Presumably, even with Win 7 (Starter Edition) there must be a way of recovering or by-passing the password XXXXX on the Administrator Account.

Hope that you can assist with this Cool ...AJ
Expert:  Mr. Clark replied 4 years ago.
If the Ophcrack did not work to extract the password (may take up to an hour or two) and you cannot log in with the generic Administrator account, I would suggest reinstalling Windows from scratch.

I will opt out to see if any other expert can chime in to assist you.

Good luck and Happy Holidays.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Dear Mr Clark,

Presumably, the Ophcrack utility did not work because I am using the stripped down 'Starter Edition' of Win 7. Your suggestion of a complete re-installation of Windows seems a wee bit drastic (and expensive) on a brand new netbook - that came with its software pre-installed.

Thank you for all your efforts on this issue [caused by my own stupidity!]. However,
I would appreciate any help from your expert colleagues as you have indicated.

Regards XXXXX XXXXX Christmas to you too!..........AJ